Bed bug free for a year......so far

(5 posts)
  1. TorontoBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2008 21:15:24
    #

Login to Send PM

hi there,

I've been bed bug free for a year now or so I hope. I had become a bit complacent and unfortunately I had a very familiar looking type of welt appear on my hand a week ago which quickly disappeared after an hour so I am reading up again and feeling that familiar paranoia.

I got some also familiar looking small red itchy dots on my hands as well but I don't know if it's because I washed the dishes by hand or what.

Unfortunately, I forgot about the 18 month rule. We'll have to see what happens. And we went to the laundromat to wash the comforters.

If we get these things again, I think I'll be much better equipped to deal with them as I have the knowledge and necessary tools.

I have made some adjustments which still haven't gone away as a result of my confrontation with bb but you start to relax and forget to take the precautions like changing clothes when you get home and shaking your clothes out over the bathtub and then storing them in a bag after one wearing until laundry time. I have resolved to go back to that habit since I'm the only person in the house that goes out to public places on a regular basis.

I saw the articles in the Toronto Star so that has made me more paranoid as well.

TorontoBugged

2. Marixpress

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Sep 16 2008 9:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

What is the "18 month rule"?

3. Bugged_in_MD

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Sep 16 2008 10:12:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Marixpress - 45 minutes ago  » 
    What is the "18 month rule"?

Bed Bugs can go dormant for 18 months.

4. infest

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Sep 16 2008 10:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

can anyone tell me why after a year they came back? I also live in toronto. got rid of my bedbugs last year, or so i thought. I know that they could've been re-introduced, but what if they weren't. would they go dormant even if there is food (me) around? I'm just worried that if they've been there for a year, then there's a lot more of them.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Sep 16 2008 19:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The fact that bed bugs could live for 18 months without a blood meal was based on a situation where humans were not present.

I do not think it is likely bed bugs would hang out in your home for 18 months when people were there to be bitten. (It is, of course, possible they could be sealed away in something or somewhere with no people for this period.)

When bed bugs come back in a multi-unit building after a long time (a year) I would assume the problem was being reintroduced -- coming from neighbors (a very likely scenario), or brought back into the home by someone.

The possibility exists also that -- if no one in the home reacts to bites-- they were never gone in the first place and "reappeared" when they started being seen again.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams