Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Bed bug free for 1 year today!

(23 posts)
  1. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 16:43:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It's official. Today is my 1 year anniversary of being bed bug free! My last sighting was March 7, 2013.

If you are interested in my timeline, I posted all of it here last year. The building requested I also use pesticide after my heat treatment, which at the time they claimed was their policy. I later found out it was actually due to a building-wide breakout of bugs (10-15 reports in a 2 week span in unconnected units, when the building typically sees 3-4 a year total). The board member I spoke to thinks someone left bugs in the laundry room, but as there was no proof by the time the laundry room got inspected, tenants had to pay for their own treatments.

I'm happy to say life has mostly returned to normal. I still have a captains bed, which I keep a passive monitor on and also inspect at least monthly (the cracks, crevices and box spring are also coated in DE since its not the easiest to inspect bed). I'll be getting rid of the bed and frame this summer when I move, so my next bed will hopefully be an easier to inspect model. I am also much more careful about what I leave on the floor at stores and movie theaters, and I packtite my luggage after trips.

My anxiety around my home hasn't fully left, although it is greatly improved. I will say it helps to find hobbies, or just be busy doing something. It also helps not to look at pictures of bed bugs..

So on the note of not looking at pictures of bed bugs, I leave you with a picture of George, my freezer-bug. George was a bed bug, but took a new job last year as a freezer-bug. George was a survivor of my initial heat treatment, and I saved him (or her?) in a sealed jar in my freezer as proof for my PCO. Upon hearing bed bugs could survive the freezer, George got boiled for a few minutes too. I keep him since having a freezer-bug is useful. When I find a bug that looks bed-bugy I compare them to George. It's helped me from posting pictures of roaches, spiders, and sowbugs on here for ID.

image by Emm8527, on Flickr

Extra credit to anyone that can tell me what stage of development George is, and if its a male or female. I've always been curious...

2. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 17:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, Emm!!!!

Reading success stories is always nice....and also a much needed source of comfort for those currently fighting bed bugs. Thank you so much for sharing your timeline as well. I think it helps others to see the different stages of your timeline from beginning to end.....I know I found it very interesting.

And, most of all, thank you so much for taking the time to share your victory!!

P.S. I'm not sure if George is male or female, nor what stage, but it will be interesting to hear the results from one of the pros. BTW, pretty funny that you named your bed bug George....lol.

3. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 18:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Emm,

Yay!!! Way to go! That is wonderful!

Thanks for sharing your good news and your timeline. I know it's been worrisome, but you survived and are triumphant. Great job!!!

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 19:58:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 20:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so happy for you, Emm!

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  6. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 3:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but going by all the research I've done on bedbugs as well as all the pictures I've seen George looks like a male, as from what i understand males are usually a bit more elongated than females (As in your specimen). The females have more of an "apple seed" shape to them whereas the males often look more teardrop shaped. Before i found that out i thought i was dealing with 2 species of bedbugs in my place back when i had them.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  7. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 4:00:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Good for you!

Say hi to George for me

It also helps not to look at pictures of bed bugs..
    funny I just posted that to help someone

Glad to hear your passive is providing peace of mind like mine also does

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  8. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 10:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats! Emm

9. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 12:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Huge congratulations to you! I think it's funny your freezer bug is named George since that's my ex's name. It seems appropriate to me somehow How long do you plan on keeping him (or her) around? Will you have a funeral for him one day? (somehow the thought of playing Taps for a bb makes me laugh too; maybe it's just sleep deprivation making me punchy). Anyway, I am very happy for you!

10. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 16:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredstiffofbbs - 3 hours ago  » 
    How long do you plan on keeping him (or her) around? Will you have a funeral for him one day? (somehow the thought of playing Taps for a bb makes me laugh too; maybe it's just sleep deprivation making me punchy).

I'm moving this summer, so George will probably be creamated at that point. I think my boyfriend would kill me if I moved George in too. My 2 cats will be plenty enough to deal with

I almost creamated George last summer at a bbq, but too many guests showed up at my place before I could get him out. Although all my friends knew I had bed bugs and teased me relentlessly for it (I got toy bugs as gifts all summer), they probably didnt actually want to see one in person...

11. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 9 2014 18:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay Emm!!! Congratulations!!!

. . . and regarding George (or Georgette) . . . I orginally thought it was probably male also, more so because of the shape of the very rear end because I thought that both male and female elongate after feeding. . . but he/she does look like "he" has a very pointy rear end . . . but I thought that before and then Lou identified it as a female.

(psssst . . . I'm going to PM Lou and see if he will tell us)!!

And, again, C.O.N.G.R.A.T.U.L.A.T.I.O.N.S!!!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 0:36:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay, Emm!!!

Thanks for sharing your success story, too.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 12:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It's interesting that some specimens are easily identified as either being a male or a female. George looks more like a Georgette according the image you provided. I suppose if you had a closer (more macro) image of the rear it would be easier.
    See one of my pictures. There are 2 females and one male and both the male and the one female specimen are elongate because recently engorged.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7596374272/

2+1 cimex by louento.pix, on Flickr

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 12:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 19 minutes ago  » 
    George looks more like a Georgette according the image you provided. I suppose if you had a closer (more macro) image of the rear it would be easier.
    See one of my pictures. There are 2 females and one male and both the male and the one female specimen are elongate because recently engorged.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7596374272/

2+1 cimex by louento.pix, on Flickr

Thanks Lou!

And man that is interesting!!! Based on your photo I would have guessed two males and a female!!

Soooo . . . starting left to right - with the first one being the rounded one

female
    female
    male??

the male being the "bottom" one and the one with the slightly darker "tummy" . . . not that that has anything to do with "him" being male, but that one looks like it's "sides" are not as rounded and his rear end just a little pointer than the one on top elongated one ("he" looks longer and skinnier)???

15. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 12:48:56
    #

Login to Send PM

[EDITED: Actually when I said "'he' looks longer and skinnier" . . . what I think I meant was . . . "'he' looks narrower and his rear end looks pointier"??]

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 13:05:42
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to go to the actual Flickr page to read what I wrote. Male is bug on top, females on bottom in all 3 images. One female is not fully engorged while other is and is also elongate. Male rear end is asymmetrical, not really good to call it pointier than female. Female is symmetrical.
    Speaking of males and females, look at this one:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7939615252/

sneaky pete by louento.pix, on Flickr

Remember. You have to read the legend that goes with the Flickr image. Don't make assumptions: what dirty minds you have!

Also, when you go to the Flickr page you can zoom in on the largest image to get a better look. You can also download it and view with your favorite viewing program.

17. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 13:22:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I read the flicker commentary on both images . . .

First, I was all around wrong on the sexing . . . so it's female, male, female. I'm going to leave the sexing of bed bugs to you!!

And, second, regarding the commentary on "Sneaky Pete" . . . well it just sounds like he ruined the party for everyone involved!!!!

18. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 13:25:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You should do a set with male/female unfed (same age) side-by-side and a set with male/female fed (same age) side-by-side. Is it hard to get them to stand still for their photo opt?

19. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 17:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 
    Remember. You have to read the legend that goes with the Flickr image. Don't make assumptions: what dirty minds you have!

Just to be clear, that quote was directed at the one and only Ms. Absolutely Freaky, right?

20. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 17:31:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 
    Male is bug on top, females on bottom in all 3 images.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7939615252/

Well, that just brings a whole new image/meaning to the word.....threesome. And no dirty mind.....took that word from the sneaky pete explanation.

21. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 18:06:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Et tu, Butterfly?

22. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 6:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 12 hours ago  » 
    Et tu, Butterfly?

LOL....Oh no, not me, too!! I would never go there....I was just simply pointing out how the word *threesome* could possibly be seen in a whole new light.

Note to self: Be more careful....TAOT is on to me....

23. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 10:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, and Lou for letting me know George is likely really Georgette

I can't believe bed bugs have 3-somes. I guess you learn something new every day

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19