BED BUG FREE 8 MONTHS LATER!!! THERE IS HOPE

(8 posts)
  1. ScaredChicago

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 13:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I told myself I would come back and post after my ordeal to give everyone hope....because rarely ever do people post the good stories...only the bad.

I had bed bugs, confirmed, in July of 2014. I found a live bug (saved it in a baggie for the exterminator and landlord), stains on my mattress and bedding, eggs on my headboard, and eggs on the backs of my picture frames all throughout my apartment. (my apartment is only 425 sf). For the record I live in an impeccable high-rise on the Lake, in the most expensive part of Chicago. NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO BED BUGS! I immediately did as the exterminator told me and bagged up ALL of my clothes, shoes, handbags etc and took them to the dryers. I did 30 loads of laundry (TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!!!) I ruined about half of my shoes, and looking back I probably didn't need to dry all of them, but whatever...I was freaking out. I also purchased bed bug interceptors, encasements for my bed and pillows (I'M ITCHING THINKING ABOUT IT...I'll get to that later) and put everything in the center of my apartment. The exterminator came out and sprayed and right after I sprinkled some of the diatomaceous earth in the cracks of my baseboards and on my couch under the cushions (wear a mask because this stuff is not good to breathe in). The stuff that I couldn't dry with heat, or treat with chemicals, was placed in plastic containers...SEALED ( I bought these containers from the Container Store and Target) and will stay there for 18 months (pictures, letters, papers...that kind of stuff). After a few weeks, I used the ORECK steam mop to clean up my floor of the chemicals, and I steamed my couch. I then bought two bed bug active monitors and stayed at my boyfriend's apartment and never caught anything in the traps. Now 8 months later I still haven’t seen a bed bug again since the first day!!!!!
    The exterminators only came and sprayed once, and then checked back two weeks later. That was it.
    Psychological and physiological affects- I was a complete basket-case. I was crying every day, couldn’t sleep and it was all I could think about. I felt like my life would never be normal again. With that said, BED BUG BITES do not necessarily mean that you still have bed bugs. Just thinking about bed bugs would make my old bites reappear, only to disappear a few hours later. So this obviously took me some time to figure out, but it is true….old bites can and will reappear. This kept happening for a few months, even though there was no other indication that the bugs were still at my apartment.
    CONCLUSION- Although this site is VERY informative and useful, it also caused me a lot of stress and unnecessary worry. It’s like being on WEBMD and no matter what your condition, it always ends up telling you that you have cancer. Having bed bugs is not the end of the world. Although expensive, and there were certainly some casualties, I kept most of my furniture, and stuff and my life is pretty much back to normal. When I stay at hotels, I still have a lot of anxiety, but I’m sure that will also go away with time. If you have any questions feel free to message me  THERE IS HOPE!!! Just do exactly what you are supposed to do, and it will all be okay!!

2. scorchedearth

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 16:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, ScaredChicago for giving everyone hope and sharing your story. I wish more people would come back to the forum to tell their tales of success, but I guess after most have won the battle they don't care to be reminded of the mini horror that really shouldn't occupy so much of our psyches, even though it does.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 17:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

SC: old bites can and will reappear. This kept happening for a few months, even though there was no other indication that the bugs were still at my apartment.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for coming back and sharing your success story!

I've red about the "old bites can reappear" thing, and if true, could explain a lot of what some people go through here.

Richard

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 18:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations ScaredChicago! And thank you for returning and writing a success story!

5. Mmm

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 19:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for posting your success story....as much as I'd like to declare success....I just can not just bring myself to truly believe they are gone....it's been 6 months since my last treatment....I have not seen any signs (although I keep thinking the tiniest speck are bugs) and the passive monitors on both occupied beds have been clear....I still have random skin reactions and still feel like things are crawling on me. I inspect my two year old daughter everyday and freak out if there is a red dot on her and think the worst If she says she's itchy....I hope to be able to truly be a success story and you give me hope that day will come!

6. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 17 2015 19:44:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your story- agreed on needing to see more success stories.

Also have compared this forum to Web MD for hypochondriacs. It can totally freak you out to see all of the failure stories and it's easy to believe that it's all that exists. When you are having a hard time, it makes it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 18 2015 12:40:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for coming back to share your success story!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 18 2015 12:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I have moved this to the success stories forum.

Note to others: there are about 451 success stories there:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/forum/success-stories

I think it's safe to say that's a small percentage of those who've become bed bug free after being part of our community. Once people feel better, they tend to forget. So please don't forget to come back and write your success story!

I also think that discovering your problem isn't bed bugs should also be documented as a "success story". It's often just as hard as fighting bed bugs, and the rewards are often as great. And it encourages others to pursue that line of enquiry.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993