Bed Bug Free 5 months

(7 posts)
  1. dcmeaaemcd

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2016 19:15:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Mid March 2016 we spent 2 nights at a hotel/indoor water park. About 1 week later, husband and I started getting bites. I did not think of bed bugs until my husband mentioned it. I was in denial for a day until I realized it followed the bite pattern. 2nd night, I caught a bug on me, and I knew right away it was a bed bug

Had two pest control companies come over. The first company came to our house but did not check anything, only gave us quotes of how much treatments will be based on how many bugs they find (even though they did not know it was bed bugs). The 2nd company (Orkin) came and checked the mattresses in 2 bedrooms, the baseboards, and the living room. He only found nymphs in the main bedroom mattress. He gave us the quotes for heat treatment and for chemical treatment. We decided to use Orkin because I did not trust the first company. We went with the heat treatment and he gave us the instructions on what to do.

I had 5 days to prepare and boy was it crazy. As most people going through this, it was very physically and emotionally draining. I can honestly say it was the worst time of my life. I bought 2 WM bagsters. I placed everything that I am throwing out in one, and all clothes (keeping and donating, don't worry I washed and dried everything in high heat for 1 hour) and stuff toys in another. Everything were double bagged before being placed in the bagsters outside. Everything else I left in the house to get the heat treatment. I called the Orkin guy multiples times throughout the preparation process, and he was really very nice, understanding, and helpful.

Heat treatment was on 04/08/16. We got mattress covers on all beds afterwards. The house is clean and de-cluttered. Finally was able to get rid of things that were not needed. No bed bug bites and sighting since then. Only had 1 heat treatment. We had 30 days guarantee, and was given the option to buy their pest control service with bedbug control added. Although we did not have any bites or any evidence of bugs after 30 days, I decided to get the service for 1 year just in case, and it does help get rid of the other pests.

I can't say what made my success story a success. Maybe it was because we caught it early, or that Orkin did a good job, or both, or if we are just lucky. I have to say thank you to bedbugger.com as this has given me more support than anything else. I read and learned a lot here: from preparation, to what to do with clothes and other things, and moral support just from reading how others are going through this. Coming to this site was my break from the tiring preparation, or when I couldn't sleep, or when I just need some kind of support.

I hope everyone going through this will find success, and soon!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2016 21:49:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your success! Thanks for coming back to tell us about it in a success story post. I know that means a lot to others here as it does to me.

Did you post before under another username?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. dcmeaaemcd

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2016 20:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

No I didn't post before. I had wanted to but I was an emotional wreck. Whenever I start typing, it just turned into a rant...
    I wanted to come back and share my experience to other to let them know that there will be an end, and I wanted to thank Bedbugger for all the help and support it gave me. So... thank you!

4. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2016 21:25:13
    #

Login to Send PM

It is always nice to see another success story. Congrats. I'm still around now and then. Went through it two years ago now. They spread from the upstairs apartment where neither occupant reacted to bites...but boy, I sure did.

Fortunate to have a good landlord and a local PCO who knew what he was doing. Like you, it was all eradicated in one treatment, although it was a combination of steam, wet chemicals, and dry chemicals, not to mention everyone cooperated with each other. He did do a followup a month later, but he inspected and said that it was only a precaution...the house had been bed-bug free since his previous visit.

Still about took my sanity and peace of mind along with it, though.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  5. dcmeaaemcd

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 20:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsUpInFlames - I'm glad to hear your success story. The success stories here gave me hope when I was going through this. It sure did took my sanity too. Couldn't have imagined such small suckers could do that to people. For the next 3 months after treatment, I was so scared of any bites, any kind specks on the bed were fully inspected, and it felt like they were still crawling all over me! We got rid of them in 1 treatment, but the emotional and mental healing has taken much longer for me.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 22:29:16
    #

Login to Send PM

dcmeaaemcd,
    I understand! Thanks for posting a follow-up. Glad we could help!

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2016 0:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver