Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

bed bug found after 10 months free, re-infestation?

(3 posts)
  1. scaredofbugs91

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 11 2019 14:30:36
    #

Login to Send PM

About a year ago my partner and I started noticing some bites. It took us a while to find any signs of bed bugs, but eventually we found some adult bed bugs hiding on our bed frame. We live in an apartment building and our landlord immediately set up a treatment with a pest control company and had the other units checked. This was in August of 2018. We never got the full details of how the apartment was treated, but I believe the entire bedroom as well as the couch in the living room were coated in liquid pesticides. Before treatment we washed and dried all clothing, blankets, towels, etc on high heat and bagged them up, as well as bagging other belongings as requested by the pest management company so they could have easy access to the furniture. We noticed a few bites and caught one or two disoriented bugs in the first week after treatment and were assured this was normal as the treatment would continue to work over time. About a month later the apartment was checked again and given the all clear after which we began to unbag our clothes and belongings — around October of 2018. We hadn't noticed any bites or signs of bed bugs until a couple of days ago we saw an adult walking on our couch during the daytime. I caught it immediately in a ziploc and did a check of the whole couch but saw no other signs of bed bugs and have not noticed any bites (nor has my partner who is more sensitive to them than me).

The question I'm left with is — how did that bed bug get there? Is it likely that one or several have survived all this time hidden somewhere or without feeding since the treatment (though we can't rule out the possibility that one might have fed without us noticing)? Why was it out in the daylight — are the pesticides from the treatment still active and potentially harming its neurology?

Essentially, how likely is it that this was a freak stray or that we have a re-infestation (either left from previously or from a new outside source or elsewhere in the building)?

What would be useful steps to take from here? We still have our bed isolated on interceptors so that is good at least, but are there other things we should look into like DE or other passive monitors? Most importantly should we contact our landlord and try to get the apartment treated again or wait and monitor things first?

Any comments from people who have experienced similar situations or who can shed light on the treatment we had would be appreciated.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 11 2019 15:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

If a meal is present a bed bug will feed, so it's not left over from your previous infestation. The two things that immediately come to mind are the possibility of an adjacent apartment being infested or less likely you have reintroduced bed bugs to your apartment. I would check the other units near you first and see what turns up, but that's something for the landlord to figure out.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 11 2019 15:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to be certain, can you post an image of the bug you captured? It's not that I don't believe you but having a solid ID is an important step.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,894 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019