Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Bed bug (educational) party was a success!

(28 posts)
  1. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 16 2014 15:12:49
    #

Login to Send PM

So, my bed bug (educational) party was this weekend and, as promised, here is the recap. If you would like to read how this whole party idea got started you can read my thread here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/a-bit-off-topic-but-a-bed-bug-education-party

We had a great time. Admittedly, some of the ladies weren't really sure they wanted to be there, but by the end, they admitted they were glad they came….as long as I promised not to post any pics on Facebook (I tend to be one of “those” people who over share on FB…lol). As much as the ladies wanted to learn about bed bugs, they didn't want their friends to know they were learning about bed bugs…if that makes sense. After listening to them say that their biggest concern was that their friends would think that were strange/weird for attending such a “party”, I understood. And it showed me that there really is a long way to go on that front.

David Cain had donated monitors and copies of his book "Bed Bug Beware" for my get together and I would like to say thank you again to him and to express just how much I appreciated his help. It was very kind of him to make such a donation.

I was going to do a version of bed bug bingo as a game, but decided that since I only had 2 hours in which to do everything, I did a “question and answer” type of game. I used the monitors that David sent me along with a couple of extra monitors I had and I bought a few mini led flashlights to use as “prizes”. I made sure that I had enough so that each person would get to take something home. I thought the idea of a question and answer type of game would give me an idea of just how much these ladies already knew, whether the information they knew was accurate or not, and what exactly I needed to talk about or expand on. It worked out great and also helped the ladies to loosen up and feel more comfortable with talking about bed bugs. The fact that I had my Margaritaville machine going probably helped in that area as well.

My main goal was to help these ladies with bed bug prevention while traveling, but since I had a few teachers, a couple of hospital setting nurses, and a home health nurse in attendance we also went over things they could do at work as well. All the information I gave them came from this site, Paul’s website, and David’s website. I also showed them about using this website should they want/need to do so in the future. I showed them David’s “How to check a hotel room” video. Then we went to my bedroom so that I could show them how I go about checking my bed and to give them the opportunity to see my encasements to have a better understanding of how they look and feel. Also, I showed them the passive monitors on my furniture and beds so they could see where I had put mine.

Since I've never had to actually fight bed bugs in my home, I pointed out on this website the useful information available on that subject. I also showed them many of the great answers that the pro’s have given while helping others. They were all impressed that one, such a website exists, and two, the amount of time that the pro’s spend in helping people. So, I’m passing along the many “kudos” that were expressed this weekend.

I decided to use the books David sent me as the start of a “lending library”. I decided to do this so that all the ladies who wanted to read the books would get the opportunity to do so....not just the person who took it home where it could potentially become yet another dust collector....which would really be a shame. I also told them that any of their friends, family, or coworkers were also welcome to borrow the books. All the books are currently out on loan.

For anyone thinking of doing such a “party” as this, the most important thing I can add is to make sure the information given is as simple as possible. Many of the ladies had heard about bed bugs either at work or on the news. But, even though they had heard about them, the info they actually knew was very limited, although I will say, most of what they knew was pretty accurate.

And, lastly, when the party goers’ eyes start to glaze over, it’s time to call it an end to the learning session and kick the Margaritaville machine into high gear.

2. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 16 2014 16:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Way to go, Butterfly! You are a trendsetter for awareness! Your friends are very lucky to have you share this important information. Kudos to you!!!

I'm sorry I missed the Margaritas, but I'm glad everything went so well. How could it not!

Thanks for your leadership and good citizenship!!

3. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 16 2014 18:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said, Daylight.

Butterfly, thank you for spreading the word on bed bugs! It makes learning so much easier when it's fun.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 16 2014 21:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Great! That was nice of David (sigh, I see more moonpies in his future).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 8:06:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight & JustChecking,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I really do hope that reading this thread will inspire others do host their own educational party or something similar. In the back of my mind, I've always thought about how bad I would feel if I knew the steps to take to prevent bringing bed bugs home, but never shared that info. Honestly, I'd feel really bad if I had to watch one of my friends go through all it takes to rid a house of bed bugs when simple steps could have been implemented in the first place to prevent that stress.

TAOT,

I feel reasonably sure that David will be seeing moonpies in his very near future

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 8:27:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just so pleased it went well and glad the information has been put to some use.

I wanted to say in advance how I thought it would go in terms of people nervous at the start and being grateful and understanding at the end as this is the pattern we see all the time.

Its funny some of the regulars around here never had bedbugs, it may have taken them a while to realise that fact but when they go on to help others it helps sustain me because to put it bluntly I am just about finished with trying to educate the industry and 2014 saw the end of our attempts to educate the sector as requested and we will divert back to what we feel is the better cause, to educate the public first and fore-mostly. I was asked not to do that and to give the industry time to get up to speed but the promises of listening have not come through.

I will work on a package comprising of books and monitors which we can ship out to people to help with such grass roots events, sadly we cant afford to make all of them free but we will make sure that its much closer to zero profit for us to support that worthy cause.

I would also be interested to talk with others who may want to create a bedbug FAQ game where people can test their knowledge at the start of the event as an ice-breaker with simple questions and then re-test at the end with their new knowledge, maybe using a multiple choice format.

Impending Moon Pies aside, the fact that this went so well is reward enough. For me, it is the essence of:

Spread the word and not the bedbugs

Looking forward to reading about more of them.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 10:09:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats on a successful bed bug party . . . You rock for educating your friends!

Butterfly1972 - 18 hours ago  » 
    . . .And, lastly, when the party goers’ eyes start to glaze over, it’s time to call it an end to the learning session and kick the Margaritaville machine into high gear.

I have one of those $300 Margaritaville machines (from BB&B) also! . . . but like most everything . . . I used it non-stop for the first six months and now it sits on the countertop collecting dust. Now I just buy Jose Cuervo Golden (premix with Tequila already added) . . .and add a shot of rum . . .YUMMY!!!

Congrats again for such a successful party!

8. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 10:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Its funny some of the regulars around here never had bedbugs, it may have taken them a while to realise that fact but when they go on to help others it helps sustain me

Just speaking for myself, coming back to help is partly to share my experience and partly because helping others to *hopefully* avoid the same path is a form of therapy for myself.

My feelings in life are, what is the point in going through something if 1) we can't learn from the experience and 2) we don't help others who are going through the same experience or help them to avoid the experience altogether. I have been the person who was more private and kept the things I went though to myself, but I have learned over time that being more "open book" is not only more beneficial to others around me, but is also more beneficial to myself in that it helps to take control over something that once controlled me. For me, the more I share or help, the less control that particular situation has over me....if that make sense.

Volunteer work is good for the soul and I tend to volunteer in areas where I have "walked in the same shoes". And I consider coming to this site to help as a form of volunteer work. I also volunteer with a parent support group for the parents of children who are newly diagnosed with autism, and also, in a rape crisis group that deals primarily with children and teenagers.

I share this information for those on here who may have gone through something, anything, be it bed bugs, or something else in life that was a traumatic experience, and are looking for a way to move on after dealing (through therapy or another form of counseling) with that experience. Sharing your experience through volunteer work, helping others, honestly will do you just as much good as the people you are helping. Honestly.

Well, that veered away from the topic of this thread, but it comes from my heart, and I hope it can help someone.

9. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 10:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I would also be interested to talk with others who may want to create a bedbug FAQ game where people can test their knowledge at the start of the event as an ice-breaker with simple questions and then re-test at the end with their new knowledge, maybe using a multiple choice format.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Such a great idea!! I have to admit that it was a bit intimidating to try to think of questions to ask. I wanted to make sure that the questions I asked were the "right" questions and as a layperson, it was hard to know if I was on the right path or not. It all worked out in the end, but having a format such as what you suggested above would have been wonderful.

I also feel like it would be very beneficial for people who may say that they want to do such an event, but honestly don't feel like they could do it without some guidance. It could very well be that one step they need to move ahead with a party of their own.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 10:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly1972,

That kind of sharing always helps, either at the time or maybe later, when someone recalls it as having been said.

I to do a lot of community work and my personal area is human rights and free speech (oddly enough) and there are a few very passionate interviews out there if you know where to look and a few PCO's have seen me spin on my heels enough times and say "you do know that expressing that opinion is illegal in most countries and for good reasons".

One of my team used to live in a peace protest camp "banning the bomb" and others have helped us to raise over $35,000 for projects over the last 9 years.

I guess it helps be atone for my years in banking and finances, it may have only been about 5 years but you pay a heavy price when you sell your soul.

David

11. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 10:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I have one of those $300 Margaritaville machines (from BB&B) also! . . . but like most everything . . . I used it non-stop for the first six months and now it sits on the countertop collecting dust.

I got mine at Kohl's with the help of a 30% off coupon. Took the sting out of the $300 price tag I use mine A LOT during the summer months, not so much during the cold winter months. But, it was nice to break it out over the weekend and "pretend" that summer was just around the corner....just a little hope since we're in the midst of yet another snow storm in our area.

12. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 10:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess it helps be atone for my years in banking and finances, it may have only been about 5 years but you pay a heavy price when you sell your soul.

I get what you're saying. My first "adult" job was as a mortgage processor back in the early 90's. It was during a time when mortgage rates were extremely low and everyone and their brother was either refinancing their home or buying a new home. I made a % of every loan I processed in addition to my set salary. Considering I was working most weekdays from 6am - 9pm and on Saturdays from 6am-12pm, you can imagine that I made a lot of money. I also processed many, many ARM loans. Fast forward 6 months....rates went back up, which meant that most of the mortgage processors were reassigned to the foreclosure dept....of which I was one of them. So, all those ARM loans that I helped people get(of which most barely qualified for a loan, but were always pushed though anyway), were now in the beginnings of foreclosure. It was the worst feeling. I lasted in foreclosure for 4 months before turning in my notice and moving on to something that didn't make me feel like I needed a shower every few minutes. I definitely get the "selling your soul" comment, because that is exactly how I felt. It was a life lesson for sure and not at all my cup of tea.

13. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 11:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 32 minutes ago  » 
    David

Ahem...finance people are VERY nice. Bankers aren't the brightest bunch, but they are ok.

14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 11:15:28
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 48 seconds ago  » 

David

Ahem...finance people are VERY nice. Bankers aren't the brightest bunch, but they are ok. Interesting, Butterfly, I was asked about moving to Jumbo mortage loan sales in the 1990s, but decided not to. I was in cash management sales at the time, and really liked it. I didn't believe in the McMansions being financed with jumbos. One of my friends started in mortgage and made 3 times what I do. However, she lives like she makes about my salary and she always told people she thought ARMS were a bad deal.

One of our friends bought a house with an ARM after her divorce, and lost it 3 years later, mainly since she couldn't afford the new payments.

15. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 11:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 3 minutes ago  » 

David

Ahem...finance people are VERY nice. Bankers aren't the brightest bunch, but they are ok.

See the quote below. I expanded based on what Butterfly said (or ignore it, it's off topic).

16. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 17 2014 11:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT,

ARM loans are a very bad deal, IMO. I saw one after the other go into foreclosure because the new payment amounts were just out of their reach.

And, honestly, most of them really shouldn't have been granted a loan in the first place. We all knew in the weekly underwriting meetings that most of these people would never be able to make the payments once the rates went back up, but the loans would get approved anyway. Gut wrenching to think back on. What I saw in foreclosure was just the very, very beginnings of the amount that were to come.

And we would think the lesson of just how bad that whole thing was back then would have been learned, but sadly, no. We just saw the same type of thing happen in the last few years.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 18 2014 13:32:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly,
    If it's agreeable to you, I'd love to copy your post at top (and additional suggestions from other posts above) to a FAQ on having a bed bug party. I think this is very creative of you and a great way for people to educate their circles.

Also, would be happy to post a Q&A for a quiz. It might be an idea to start with FAQs like our "dos and don'ts", many of which are the basics people should be aware of before they ever encounter bed bugs. It's about time I updated it a bit though, for example, to direct people to post photos for ID here, for example.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  18. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 18 2014 13:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs,

I think that would be a wonderful idea!! And, please, feel free to exclude the posts that have nothing to do with the bed bugs party. I tend to easily get off topic and some of the last few posts above have absolutely nothing to do with the party.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 18 2014 14:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly1972 - 22 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Nobugs,
    I think that would be a wonderful idea!! And, please, feel free to exclude the posts that have nothing to do with the bed bugs party. I tend to easily get off topic and some of the last few posts above have absolutely nothing to do with the party.

We all get off topic easily enough around here. Thanks, Butterfly! I will hold off a few days and maybe others have suggestions to add?

20. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 18 2014 14:23:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I will hold off a few days and maybe others have suggestions to add?

Sounds like a good plan! It would be nice to see some other suggestions added to the thread.

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 18 2014 14:33:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Would an online test be of help?

I am thinking in particular of a series of slides where people can say Yes its bedbug related or no its not.

David

22. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 18 2014 15:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Would an online test be of help?

I am thinking in particular of a series of slides where people can say Yes its bedbug related or no its not.

Ooohhh, I like that idea!! That would help people to learn exactly what they are looking for when checking hotel rooms, their homes, work areas.

23. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 19:52:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a little update.... I received a call from one of the ladies from the party. She is the home health nurse. She talked to a couple of her coworkers this week who are also home health nurses and they want me to come and talk to them. Sooo, I'm going over to my friend's house tomorrow afternoon to do another smaller scale party. Pretty excited!!!

24. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 20:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

BRAVO, Butterfly!!!

You go girl!!! That is so exciting!!!

25. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 20:38:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome!

26. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 20:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Butterfly,

If you let me know what kind multi choice questions you want and I will out how to get it running online and ideally in an embed able format.

David

27. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 22 2014 13:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I've been out all morning with my kids at archery practice, and home just long enough to grab some lunch. I'm heading to my friends house in just a few minutes.

When she called me last night, I had explained to her that my day today was really busy. She explained to me that she wants to do a party like I did at a later date, but that she did have a couple of coworkers who are VERY concerned with a couple of houses that they have to enter on a weekly basis and wanted to talk to me before the start of a new week. So, I promised her that I would stop by today, but I only had an hour at the most, so I'm going to do a quicker version that is mainly about prevention of transporting in their work belongings and explain more to them about PackTite, which I think would serve them very well in this situation. I hope this all makes sense....I'm typing really quick, but wanted to let you know why I hadn't gotten back to you earlier.

I can email you the list of questions I used at my party sometime this week to get the ball rolling on the multiple choice questionnaire, if that's ok? I can use it when my friend hosts her full version party. And thank you for all your help!!!

28. MommaOnAMission

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 22 2014 14:19:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I am glad that you are doing this.

Unfortunately, I am learning about bed bugs the hard way.

I am a case manager/social worker that does home visits and probably brought one home.

And, after initial shock and freaking out, my second thought was that this could have been avoid if the Adult Foster Care homes that I visit were to inform us before entering. And, if there was less stigma and more information that the spread could be stopped or slowed.

I have even started a bed bugs support group on facebook (no one has joined yet). One friend that admitted to me that she had some before, refused associate with the group and another friend of the family who recently dealt with them hasn't accepted the request to join the group.

I am learning about BB as fast as I can, but I am find out that there is a lot of inaccurate information out there.

My work initially told me that if my apartment has been treated and I have no marks that wanted me back to work. I asked for time off to deal with this, because just sitting and doing nothing while I wait for Temprid (insecide) sprayed by apartment management kills them just isn't going to cut it. When everything I have read so far states that more than one thing needs to be done.

Anyways, thank you for spreading awareness in your community. And, I will be doing the same here in Ann Arbor, Michigan!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956