Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bed bug droppings

(3 posts)
  1. rebugcca

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 11:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if bed bug droppings are likely to be found on painted wood moudling (not in a crack or crevice, but more or less on the surface) above a door frame? While inspecting room, I noticed little black balls (no more than a millimeter in diameter) in a row along two parts of the moulding. They are very hard and I basically had to chip them off--they don't smear or crush at all. Nothing else up there. I have no idea how long the spots have been there because prior to our infestation, I didn't obsessively inspect my apartment in all corners and heights. I looked at some pics online of droppings and they seem to be in cracks or corners and look sort of smearing. I couldn't really tell scale from the pics online.
    Does it sound like those are related to bed bugs or just something else?

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 14:19:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed Bug droppings are basically the unprocess food or human blood. As such if a sample is dabbed with a cotton bub soaked in saliva it will rapidly dissolve and smear. The smear is best described as a dark brown to red oxide in colour.

I think the pictures you mentioned may be similar to the ones in one of my newsletters, by way of a scale there is a human hair in the middle of the picture illustratiung that the spots are about 2 mm - 4 mm in diameter.

If the samples you find will not dissolve in saliva they are highly unlikely to be bed bug droppings. As for what they could be a picture might give us some clues but its hard getting images at that level of resolution.

David

3. rebugcca

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 14:38:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you--I'll check with saliva when I get home tonight. Every little hint of evidence makes me get anxious all over again, so it helps to know I can check them out and determine that they aren't BB related, hopefully.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,975 posts in 45,923 topics over 140 months by 20,229 of 21,036 members. Latest: Roomtenant99, notagain2018, freakedout4589