Bed Bug Drama-rama, AGAIN AND AGAIN!

(5 posts)
  1. AprilHatesBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 14:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

OKAY so I am fuming mad and crazy upset and really just don't know what to do anymore about these horrible pests.

My boyfriend and I moved in together in our first apartment in June... however the "honeymoon" phase was over rather quickly. A week after moving in we started getting tons and tons of bites. At first only my boyfriend was getting them, and we thought maybe he had gotten poison ivy/oak somewhere...but then sure enough I started getting them 20 times worse! Itching like crazy all the time. MY bites were so horrible that I was asked by all of the other tenants to take pictures of my legs and arms due to the severity.

We found out from a long time tenant that just a few weeks prior to our move in, the apartment had a heat treatment for bed bugs... HOWEVER the landlord had been so neglectful of the problem that it caused 5 out of the 7 apartments to break their leases and move out (they also all had tried to self treat the problem which made it so much worse). When the heat treatment was first done, it was only done to the occupied apartments... problem number one! The bugs just moved to the empty apartments! The Pest Control team came back and did a thorough heat treatment (I think they said that they went up to 140, 150 degrees F)of every apartment at the same time in order to erradicate the problem. They also left behind chemicals and traps to kill any stragglers .

Now, this happened in the summer. I am very sensitive to bug bites and always have a problem with mosquitos in the warm months. A few weeks after the 2nd heat treatment (we thought at this point we were bed bug free) I started getting chewed up by what I presumed to be mosquito bites on my legs and arms... I was getting bites on my hands and feet but I thought maybe the bumps were eczema because my sister and mother suffer from minor eczema. My boyfriend had no bites. The Pest Control team had been back a few weeks after the "cook out" and checked the traps and deemed the apartment BED BUG-LESS... so I went on assuming my itchy bumps and skin were due to mosquitos and dry skin...

HOWEVER about 3 weeks ago I started getting horrible itchy spells at night on my back and arms especially, and would literally be up all night long scratching between 1:30 and 4 AM (the BB bewitching hour). I thought it was anything but bed bug... fleas? dust mites? allergic reaction to laundry soap? IT IS HORRIBLE. I work in New York City and wake up very early to commute, which is incredibly hard to do when you've only gotten an hour and a half of sleep from being up all night scratching. The weird part is... the first time I was getting bit from bed bugs... There were definite bumps in clusters that almost made it look like a poison ivy/oak rash all over my skin with single breakfast lunch dinner formation bumps in random areas. THIS TIME I could feel the bumps all over me at night while I was scratching... but in the morning I didn't have the ugly unsightly welts like I did before. And if I did have a couple BLD bites... they would fade over a couple of hours. Mind you, I still have some bites, but not nearly as many as last time. But the itch at night is A MILLION time worse.

OKAY SO HERE IS WHERE I LOST MY MIND
    This morning (Yes, I haven't had much time to process this, so if this post seems a little ranty and crazy it is because I am so far past my breaking point), after yet another night of no sleep, I decided to strip the bed of all the sheets and pillows thinking that maybe fleas, dust mites, allergens were the culprit... and a fresh set of linens would do the trick. 5 minutes before I have to leave for work, off came the comforter, off came the flat sheet, pillows, etc. AND THEN I pulled one of the corners of the fitted sheet up... When I went to grab it all the way to rip it off I SAW ONE, crawling in the crevice of the elastic, droppings and shed skin included... I ran to get a small glass and lid to trap it. When I came back seconds later I didn't see it anymore, so I lifted up a little more of the fitted sheet (at this point I have barely ONE CORNER untucked) and 4 more crawl out from inside the elastic, brushing up against my finger tips! I screamed, dropped the glass, grabbed the cat, ran out of the room and closed the door. I am definitely psychologically traumatized. I immediately called my boyfriend, deeming we need to move and toss everything. He called the landlord, I have been at work all day and am seriously dreading going back home :[ .

This is such a mess, bed bugs seriously ruin peoples lives.

I am so bitter and angry against my landlord for allowing us to move in to the apartment without forewarning that bed bug infestation had been a problem in the past. I am so upset that NJ does not have any laws enforcing this.

I am convinced that bed bug problems just never go away, that it is just one of those things you cannot get rid of.

I need advice from the bedbugger community. What do you think I should do? Should we bear another treatment. My boyfriend called and told me that they are going to do a chemical treatment of just our apartment. The landlord and Pest Control company does not want us to inform other tenants about our current bed bug problem. Should we just move? Throw out our mattress, furniture, couch? I read that those suckers can live up to 18 months with no blood host :\

I am freaking out and losing my mind here, this is so horrible. I hate to hear people joke about bed bugs it takes such a mental and physical toll on everyone involved...

2. AprilHatesBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 15:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone else have an experience like this where the thermal treatment was not effective TWICE? What did you do?

3. feelinghelplesswith3 babies

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 16:26:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry your going through this. I've never had the heat treatment I had all chem treatments. And it helped it got rid of them. But I also took proactive measures to make sure I was getting rid of them by steaming my beds and floors and any crack and crevice I thought they might be hiding in. I don't know what to advice because if you move even if you leave everything behind there's still a possibility that you will take them with you. If you throw away everything you have to carefully dispose of it or else the trash diggers will take them home. I know.how you feel. But they do eventually go away. Perhaps the pest control they're using is not being effective. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. dinnerfor3

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 17:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The land lord wants to be all hush hush? Shame on him. I'd tell every tenant.

5. AprilHatesBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 19:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

dinnerfor3 - 2 hours ago  » 
    The land lord wants to be all hush hush? Shame on him. I'd tell every tenant.

That's what I'm thinking... Especially since 2 more apartments just it new tenants after this last thermal treatment... They don't even know what they're in for...

I don't even want to go anywhere and visit anyone to risk giving them these awful pests

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen