Bed bug death by chemical question

(3 posts)
  1. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 20 2012 0:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

This may be a stupid question, but if a bed bug wanders directly through a professional chemically treated area, how long does it generally take for that bed bug to die off? Do they die pretty quickly (not necessarily immediately) once they come out and wander through it or does it take quite a bit of time for it to effect the bug and ultimately kill it? I’m not talking about killing them all and being rid of them overall, I know that takes time. But just one bug for instance, how long once it comes in contact with a residual type chemical that a professional would use? I would assume there are variables to this depending on which chemical, etc? Just curious in general.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 20 2012 8:22:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not a simple answer as it depends on the bedbug and depends on the chemical and finally on the duration of exposure.

Some bedbugs are more tolerant to insecticides so will die slower.

Some chemicals have advanced formulation to ensure that when a bedbug comes into contact it gets a dose that it carries with it.

Some products only work if the bedbug is exposed to the residual for extended periods of time.

I regularly conduct trials of all the products we have access to in the UK and the shocking fact is that some of them have less residual activity than washing up liquid or surgical spirits. We even had one where they happily laid eggs and the population increased.

My best advice is not to reply on a PCO who relies on chemicals as their primary mode of action.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 20 2012 22:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I appreciate the informative reply.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,900 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186