Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed Bug Blue Question - don't want a false positive! Please answer.

(3 posts)
  1. TheP

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 9 2013 9:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Picture URL: http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/user/The2P2/library/

I'd like to know if some stains found on our sheet where my husband was laying a couple of weeks ago could be fecal stains from bed bugs. (See pictures 1 and 2.) He did have a small cut on his leg which could have bled in the general area of the stain (I don't know whether it ever bled, but that is the only non-bed bug cause that I could think of).
    The last thing I want is a false positive and from another post I read, I don't know if bed bug blue might mistake blood from a human cut for bed bug fecal matter. Would the test be positive only if the stain(s) came from a bed bug and not from my husband's cut (in other words, would the test would be negative if the blood came from my husband's cut)?

Thank you very much for your response!

2. djames1921

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 9 2013 14:54:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Direct testing of human blood could potentially give a false positive, I would search around the bed frame cracks and crevices for signs of bed bugs or signs of fecal spotting as signs in these areas would not be from a person with a cut. If spots found in those areas show positive, its time to be concerned.

Disclaimer: I make bed bug blue.

3. TheP

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 9 2013 15:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for responding, Mr.James. I had checked the mattress and outside of the box spring and saw no other signs. The frame is a black metal so it may be a little hard to see spots.

Did you by any chance look at the pictures I attached to my post? Pictures 1 and 2 are of the sheet. Those pictures, though, were taken 10 days after the stains were discovered (the sheet had been kept in a plastic bag during that time), i.e. I did not take the pictures while the stains were fresh, so perhaps they darkened some (I don't know how blood stains may change over time). Your opinion of the stains, whether or not the color, shape etc. would lead you to believe they are fecal stains or not, would be much appreciated since I don't want to get a false positive with bed bug blue.

Thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,466 posts in 47,891 topics over 148 months by 21,097 of 21,434 members. Latest: bbscare13, kdms94, Notsurewhatthisis