Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Bed bug blog news round-up (8/10/2010-8/15/2010)

(6 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 16:58:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I usually post to the forums to alert you to new Bedbugger blog entries, but I have not done this for a number of days.

Here's a round-up of recent posts (since Tuesday):

Bed Bug Barrier: new option for passive bed bug monitors

Bradley County Commission (Bradley Co., Tennessee local government) considers tracking bed bug infestations

Bed bug insurance legislation proposed in NY State

Bed Bugs at New York City’s Time Warner Center

Bergdorf Goodman hires canine scent detection team to sniff out bed bugs -- note: this is a proactive measure. They don't have them.

EPA warns consumers with bed bugs to choose pesticides carefully and follow label instructions

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 18:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all your hard work Nobugsonme. I think this is by far the best website about bed bugs!

3. Ratorja

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 19:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

If renter's insurance covered bed bugs for a reasonable premium, I would definitely get it. I had renter's insurance in Iowa and know how much the premiums were there, but I'm honestly afraid to even check the prices in NY.

As for the Bed Bug Barrier, I like how the cup is actually inverted to avoid dust building (a big problem I have with the ClimbUps), but what I didn't see mentioned is what a task it would be to clean and reapply the glue. He said dust isn't a problem and you CAN reapply the glue if you need to, but it doesn't dry out and you most likely would never have enough dead bugs in it to cover the entire glue area. But I know I wouldn't want the dead bugs just sticking around there, and it gives me the creeps just thinking about having to scrape all that out of there to clean them...

4. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 19:46:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I suppose it would demonstrate my mean-spiritness if I were to doubt that Commissioner Howard Thompson was the one whose own fair hands cleaned his bedroom and house?

I agree with Nobugs that he's probably thinking about dust mites which indeed will always be with us and can only be controlled by good housekeeping habits. I'm not sensitive to them so don't care (though I do notice that I feel better for having my pillow enclosed).

I encountered the dust mites vs bed bugs confusion when offering help on the Yahoo service. There are a few people coursing through there answering all the bed bug questions with (a) the idea that bed bugs are microscopic and exist in every bedroom (true for mites), and (b) all you have to do is wash your sheets occasionally.

Eve

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 23:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ratorja - 3 hours ago  » 
    If renter's insurance covered bed bugs for a reasonable premium, I would definitely get it. I had renter's insurance in Iowa and know how much the premiums were there, but I'm honestly afraid to even check the prices in NY.

Agreed. I think it's going to be a real issue, if this legislation even gets off the ground.

As for the Bed Bug Barrier... what I didn't see mentioned is what a task it would be to clean and reapply the glue.

I thought there was something in the video about not needing to reapply the glue. (I suppose if you had a lot of bed bugs traipsing through...)

My concern, mentioned in the post itself, is that I am not sure how one goes about checking if bed bugs have been caught. First you take the bed off the frame, then you turn the frame upside down? (?)

Still, it does seem like there are some people who would prefer this and some have issues with ClimbUps (e.g. people with carpeting have mentioned them cracking.)

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 15 2010 23:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Eve - 3 hours ago  » 
    I encountered the dust mites vs bed bugs confusion when offering help on the Yahoo service. There are a few people coursing through there answering all the bed bug questions with (a) the idea that bed bugs are microscopic and exist in every bedroom (true for mites), and (b) all you have to do is wash your sheets occasionally.

This is a big misconception, Eve, and unfortunately still pops up in legitimate news sources too!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111