Bed bug bite ID? (with pics)

(6 posts)
  1. marshall12345

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 18:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you cannot diagnose based on bites, but does this bite look like a bedbug bite? We have not found any signs of bedbugs, but I woke up this morning with this bite (only one) on my ankle. It does not itch, but it is swollen like a bite.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158199932@N07/42757513625/in/dateposted-public/

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 20:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

If you know you can’t ID bites - why would you ask if it looked like a bed bug bite in the same sentence? The question cannot be answered.

3. marshall12345

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 20:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Many people on this site are far more experienced at identifying the warning signs of bed bugs and can speak to whether I should be concerned or not. Clearly, it is an extreme to say that this question cannot be answered.

4. zelchbug

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 20:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

marshall12345 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Many people on this site are far more experienced at identifying the warning signs of bed bugs and can speak to whether I should be concerned or not. Clearly, it is an extreme to say that this question cannot be answered.

I'm afraid you're not going to find anyone with more experience and knowledge than Killer Queen. Just my opinion.

5. lsdrg706

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 21:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing you can see in such a picture is that it is an inflammatory response to something. You will not be able to tell what the trigger was. Bites, laundry detergents, certain materials, animals, even stress can cause such a response in the skin, so it's truly impossible to know. Would be nice if it was, it's just not the case. The best thing to do if you're truly concerned about it, is a thorough inspection and some vigilance for awhile.

For the record, killerqueen is an industry leader and specializes in dealing with these insidious creatures. It is quite accurate to say you will find only a few with the level of experience and knowledge.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 23:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

As others noted, you really can’t tell if a skin reaction is from bed bugs by looking at it. A dermatologist can biopsy it and tell you if it’s from an insect bite, but not which insect.

If bed bugs are present, there will be fecal stains, bed bugs, and maybe cast skins and eggs present. If this is the first skin reaction and there are no visual signs of bed bugs and no known exposure, I would not assume this is the cause.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172