Bed Bug Anxiety!!!! Help!

(4 posts)
  1. scaredinny

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 18:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

So the other day my NY Magazine came in the mail and there was this lengthly article on bedbugs. I knew about them prior to this article and know that they are spreading like wild fire across NYC. After I read the article I googled my apt building and bedbugs and found this site. It turns out that a few apartments in my building have infestations. I live in a huge building with two towers that are connected in the lobby. My tower holds about 600-700 apartments and the other tower has probably 300 or so. The infestations seemed to be mostly in the other tower but one was just a few floors down in my tower. Every since I read this I cannot sleep or stop thinking about these bugs. Its driving me crazy! I cleaned my entire apartment like a lunatic. Looked in all my couch cushions, looked in the bedrooms - behind the headboard, furniture, etc. I don't have bites but I know that not every gets them. I feel like I have them but only because I read on here that they are in my building. I have not noticed any signs of them. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from spreading into my apartment?

Also, I have a small dog. Would the bedbugs bite her? I am assuming they would.

I really am losing my mind over this and its freaking me out. I don't want to invite anyone over to my apt (for fear that they will have them and bring them into my home), I don't want to go to the movies, sit in restaurant or bar, take a bus, take the subway all out of fear of getting them. I am scared to use the laundry room in my building or them gym out of fear of catching them. I want to move out of the city because of these bugs!

I honestly think if i get them I will die. I am so scared.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to prevent my apartment from being infected (assuming its not already)?

Are there any housing laws surrounding this issue that would allow me to break my lease over this?

When I called my buildings management company they said that there were "a few isolated incidents:. Im sure he was bull sh*tting me.

Anything information anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated. I have been a nervous wreck for days and I feel really conflicted about it. On the one hand, if i never read that article and found my building listed on this site, I wouldn't be thinking about this at all. But now that I did, I am convinced that I have them and I haven't had any signs of them..

2. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 18:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider yourself lucky that you are becoming aware and getting educated without having them. Read the FAQs on this site, and you will be better prepared to prevent getting them and to deal with them if ever you do get them. Consider that out of that many apts in your building(s) not EVERYONE has them. Really, yes, it's an epidemic, but not EVERYONE has them.

I don't think you should move out of your building or NYC bc they exist in many many buildings, and in many places outside of NYC.

As far as the gym, do you use a locker in the gym? I would put my clean stuff and purse and shoes, etc in a plastic bag that I would then discard after taking my clothes out and changing into them. Or get a giant ziploc bag that you keep in the locker and seal immediately after putting clean stuff in it or taking stuff out of it (so nothing can crawl in). As far as the stuff that's always in the locker, let it be.

I agree the gym and the movies are a risk in NYC (albeit small) but you can do things to protect yourself in the gym and accept or reject the movies based on whether the risk is worth it to you.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 18:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes -- don't panic.

You're most at risk from neighbors who are attached (above, below, all sides). Use some caution if you use common areas like building gyms or laundry rooms.

Make sure your building management/coop association/etc. are getting educated about the problem. Advocating for your building to be proactive about inspections and to get good treatment are good ways to help prevent/minimize the spread.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 19:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

About the laundry room (or any laundromat, in my opinion). Don't fold on public tables and don't use those carts everyone uses for both their clean and dirty laundry. Put clean clothes directly into fresh bags and bring directly to your place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,414 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams