Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bed bug and hive question

(7 posts)
  1. Bayonnebedbug

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 10:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    First off I'm looking for input on this question hopefully will receive an answer.

If a bed bug feeds on a person.
    The person developed a white hive that lasted 45 minutes then the hive disappeared would an expert believe this to be a bed big bite? Or an allergic reaction to something else.

Or do the normal rules apply?
    Generally speaking if your bite by a bed bug and have a reaction does it take the about same amount of time for the bite to go away as if I was to cut myself this I have read often.

Or could a person be bite by a bed bug at some point have a white hive develop and have all traces off the hive and or bite be gone in 45 minutes?

Thanks
    Rob

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 10:34:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Experts NEVER diagnose or draw conclusions from skin responses.

They are simply too unreliable to be of any diagnostic value.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Bayonnebedbug

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 10:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David

I merely was asking if a person was bite by a bed bug is it conceivable the bite could come and go in less then an hour? (when the person usually had to wait 7 or so days for the bite to disappear)

Or is that inconsistent on what is known

Thank
    Rob

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 10:48:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bayonnebedbug,

Let me explain this with a little more detail.

If I am bitten once I get no sign at all, no skin response.

If I am bitten 5 - 10 times in one small area I may get a small red rash for a short period of time.

If I feed 500+ bedbugs I have a mark for a few days.

I am one person, I have multiple responses to the same known insect.

Now this is part of the reason why you cant draw conclusions based on skin responses. The other being that people often get a similar reaction to different stimuli so you cant really confirm which of the potential causes of that skin reaction are from the reaction itself.

I am very aware of the question you are asking but it cant technically be answered. You could have a guess at it, but all that would be is a guess and not an accurate one at that.

David

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 12:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Bayonne: As David said, individual responses vary and not every hive or "bite" is from a bed bug and you should not diagnose based on that.

To answer your basic question, can a bed bug bite disappear in less than an hour for some people? The answer is yes...Lou Sorkin (loubugs) reports that his bites disappear in about 20 minutes.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 13:34:40
    #

Login to Send PM

If I am bitten once I get no sign at all, no skin response.

If I am bitten 5 - 10 times in one small area I may get a small red rash for a short period of time.

If I feed 500+ bedbugs I have a mark for a few days.

I am one person, I have multiple responses to the same known insect.

Now this is part of the reason why you cant draw conclusions based on skin responses.

As David says he has multiple responses; the reactions vary even on the same person. I just lectured to a large company and large building space in NYC and showed them various bites, not real bites, non-bed bug bites, infestations (and of course live bugs in fed and unfed conditions) and also my personal skin reactions to feeding bed bugs. I have experienced many different bite reactions even after 15 years of feeding them. Single feeding bugs or a few (30 or more) feeding on my hand still produce a raised bleb that disappears within 20 minutes or so (as Cilecto noted above). I've had many hundreds feed from within a jar's screen cover (a more or less 1 inch circle) for 20 minutes or so and the feeding site swells noticeably. I've had skin turn papery and peel like it had been sunburned and dried and also had bullous eruptions (fluid filled blisters). There has also been fluid seepage from bites. Fluid filled blisters and the dry slough were after having fed many hundreds or thousand for 20 minutes in one place, but that type of feeding doesn't always produce the same outcome. And if you've seen my pictures you'll notice that my left arm has a nevus flammeus - red patch and the reactions so far discussed occur on my right arm. The birthmark is a network of capillaries near the surface and the bugs feed better there. I also think that their saliva is more quickly distributed from the left side feeding than compared to the right arm feeding.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Bayonnebedbug

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 25 2013 14:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone
    Thank you for your help

Rob

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982