(7 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 13:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Following on from the thread linked below, I wanted to create an area where people can discuss ways to try and communicate the need for better awareness and standards in dealing with bedbugs:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/since-its-such-a-big-problem-why-does-the-government-not-do-anything-about-it?replies=21#post-187763

Hopefully this will make the green stickies and it would be nice to also have an "activism" section to the forum so that those who use filters and don't wish to participate don't need to read.

It has already been suggested that the following areas could / should be worked on:

• Lobbying / letter writing at a local government level
    • Lobbying / letter writing at a national government level
    • Lobbying / letter writing to trade bodies and associations for higher work standards
    • Lobbying / letter writing at a local health and education level

Please remember that this area is about communication and raising awareness, this is not a party politics issue and its an agenda that everyone should be able to sign up to.

Yes its a tough road and results may take a while to achieve but that is no reason for not giving it a go.

Please try to avoid any blame or stigmatization in these discussions in favor of the philosophy that its for the betterment of everyone.

I am personally happy to help steer and give technical input as I am sure others will but will focus my input towards grass roots easy to achieve projects with low financial requirements.

Hoping something good comes from this.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 21:08:57
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a huge need to get the proper information out to social workers/teachers in our schools. Most students who have bbs live in apartments or in situations where effective treatment and eradication is almost impossible.

Info that needs to be disseminated is prevention and how to not spread them (how the kids might avoid bringing them to school with them). I'm not sure if this fits in here David, but I think our schools (at least here in the US) are ignorant when it comes to this issue even though our students have them. Sigh. We can't just say "get treatment" when the cheapest comes in around $800.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 6 2014 10:57:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bumping this up to explain that you do not need to be open and "out" as a bedbugger to input into this.

The only way to break the social stigma will most likely be through prolong written material and something akin to a TV advert with actors portraying all walks of life saying "I have had bedbugs". I actually have a visitor from the US next week who wants to specifically look at that one issue.

The reason why I say actors is that for a while people will not feel they can be open. In fact writing this has made me think about all the journalists we have helped over the years who post infestation wrote article or conducted radio and TV interviews on the subject. In fact I can only recall two occasions when clients who happened to work in the media refused to help "spread the word" and on both of those the issue was overcome when they realised they could write about "their fiend who recently had bedbugs". I have said many times if you don't feel you can share in the first person try to do so in the third person, telling friends about your "old school friend" in AnOther state who is going through a BB nightmare but helping to educate you, will sink in with some of them.

Its about tackling the issue on as many feasible fronts as possible, after all if it takes as long to get things under control as it has taken to get here then we still have a long journey ahead of us.

However its clearly a long term project but again that is never a reason not to start taking the first steps.

David

4. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 6 2014 20:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I definitely agree that there should be much more info about bed bugs and their prevention and control available to the public through ads on TV and in newspapers. Landlords of multi-unit apartment buildings should also be required by law to hand out info, all of which will most likely fit on a single sheet of paper (That should keep them from bitching about it being too expensive to implement), about bed bugs, what to look for, and how to best avoid bringing them home, to all new and existing tenants. In fact it may save landlords money in the long term on extermination costs.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  5. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 6 2014 20:25:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sounds interesting and holds promise. Awareness is absolutely essential. If we can help prevent another's pain and misery, we will not go wrong. I will stay tuned in for developments.

6. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 6 2014 20:30:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Apart from letter writing, I have asked "What's the plan for bedbugs?" at different types of meetings. I didn't have to explain I was a former bedbug sufferer.

I asked at the School Council meeting when they were planning a rummage sale. I asked the trip planners at the orientation for the overnight school trip. I asked at a local "Town Hall" meeting with my municipal Councillor.

Usually there is no plan, but it raises awareness.

7. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 8 2014 21:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

In Canada we have Parliament-based government system as well... I have seen parties called the Pirate Party and the Sex Party so I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to form a BedBug Party.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,648 posts in 49,307 topics over 152 months by 21,609 of 22,034 members. Latest: Evertking, Thissucksformyson, Winniewillow