Bed Bat Bird?

(2 posts)
  1. bugs_bug_me

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 2:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

oh wow, so bed bat and bird would be that easily miss diagnosed? i recently spent weekend at friends , she has an attic space and a modified fireplace not sure if it is sealed off but it is decoration now not used. my belongings sat next to it piled up, as i had not had any issues with unidentified bites on my daughter or i for a few years and had never seen and or their poo in our home since we moved into it 5 years ago, i took sleeping pillow with me also having looked it over and again seeing nothing when changed its case(clean 1 had been bagged up a few months)and blankets for her and i to use there, she used all the blankets we'd had with us but the pillow stayed with my backpack and over night things, as us adults were working on house projects we did not sleep at all, around 6 i carried my things to the porch where found a few what appeared to be bed bugs(have had issue prior to moving here) on the outside of bag and pillow case, i killed them in haste thinking were bed bugs, left my things outside for the day in heavy heat and over night the next morning around 5 i took out socks that had been on floor near our things and found 1 and another near the pillow. is it possible she has bat or bird and neither of us has bed? do they look that alike? her exterminator is coming today for other reasons what do i tell her, now? would that many live in my things that id never noticed or were they trying go home with me , would they live in the fluff of a pillow or naked foam and not see stains anywhere on pillows ? they werent in the hems as far as i could see especially as big as 1 was it would have been very seen....oh so dont know how to tell her 1 of us has a problem and hers could be 3 different things if they are that alike....advice anyone ..............as i had posted as a comment on another thread and was commented to start a new one and have now figured out they were surely hers to start at least to those i came across at her house, here now nearly 6 weeks later woke to what felt like a mosquito bite on my hand at around 10pm , moving around a while found a second bite on hip, sat for a bit without the blanket over me but felt it soon as pulled cover over again flipped blanket 1 single bloody bugger, killed him stripped bed washing them but now not able sleep tonight, cant say still if we'd (both houses now as seems) have bed bad or bird bug trouble and her house having had pest control the second time i visited i showed him a few id collected that morning he looked at me as if the names bat bug and bird bug were rocket science and left the specimens with us .....also noting the single i found here didn't necessarily come from there either because have lived elsewhere close to where i am (within 5 acres) and had always been a second hand buyer/receiver of life's needs they could easily have been hiding here a while unnoticed , would a bird or bat bug that has had to primarily feed off human because original host left move on in luggage or move in from trees around acreage if either are nesting close by and leave behind when the animal moves on?

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 7:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Short of sending a sample to Lou (or another respected entomologist) you'd need to get a very clear, quality close up photo of the bugs in question to post for ID. I believe it's the small hairs by the wing pads/head that distinguish between the various species- one being longer than the other. I also remember reading a post on here in which David Cain commented that bat bugs will feed on you when their host disappears, but will then return to their 'homes' in walls/attics/where have you. From other research I've read, a bat bug cannot reproduce with human blood, so there would not be evidence of harborage OR eggs around (but that info is not from the gentlemen here, so until they confirm, I'll take it with a grain of salt).

Anyway, if possible, I would suggest trying to capture the bug in the clear, close up, quality photo for proper ID. Spray it with 91% isopropyl so it dies without destroying, and get as close as you can. I believe it was either PBello or BigDummy that suggested placing it on a scanner for the best possible ID'ing.

Good luck to you!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas