Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Becoming a PCO

(6 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 17:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've been thinking. There is a horrible bed bug AND cockroach epidemic happening in my community. The nearest pest control place is asking 1k per house and there are over 50 homes affected (probably more now since this number was from last year). I have been on this forum learning about bed bugs and their habits, thanks to the experts here. I would like to lend a helping hand in our community and would ask them to purchase heat equipment and sprays/ dusts. How would I go to become certified? I know I need some sort of training to be able to purchase professional products correct? This is something I've been mulling over since no one knows what to do. So far their strategy is to hand anyone who asks a can of raid 😖

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 30 2017 6:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just about every state has a different set of rules and regulations which are usually set by the agriculture department and environmental protection agencies.

While these are not massively onerous there is a lot of practical skills that are usually taught on the job and cant really be picked up from books because they are either not written down or they are specific to a local area (for example some parts of Birmingham in the UK the mice population will not consume grain). This is why most people training with a company for a few years and then start up on their own, I worked for a small pest control firm in London before starting my company thus avoiding having to learn the mistakes the hard way.

In my case it helped that I had a background in science and degrees in biological sciences so I could quickly start adapting what I had been taught into a more scientific approach. My concern is that you can give someone the last years NASCAR winning vehicle but it does not mean they will automatically win next year.

Don't get me wrong I am all for community / co-operative projects and self help but there is a lot of planning that needs to go in to make sure they are sustainable beyond the immediate short term needs. If you have the kind of community who can all chip in and work together on this sort of thing awesome, that is the hardest part, to get a truly cohesive foundation of support.

However, if you are up for hard work, long hours and repeating yourself to the point where it becomes like a painful tinnitus its a very rewarding job. I spent the first half of my life doing amazing things from the human genome project and sequencing viral genomes to cancer diagnostic and growing ruby's for telecommunications but at the end of the day I never got to see something from start to finish, I do now.

So if that's not put you off and you want to see if you can do this as a job your welcome to come and spend a few days in London at the coal face as it were.

Take care.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 30 2017 9:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not 100% positive, but I do believe, based on our previous chats on here, that you and I are located very close to one another~ and I'd be all in for helping with community education on this!

Feel free to PM me and maybe we can meet up and chat!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  4. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 30 2017 17:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in saskatchewan Canada near Kelvington.

So they have found a grant for funding. They got an exterminator to come out and do $500 for 2 houses. The reported amount now is 65 units confirmed with bed bugs and cockroaches in some!

They want me to come up with a plan to help prepare. I've typed up a paper that tells the importance of not trying to self treat with aerosol sprays. I've asked the head of housing to stop giving the cans of spray. Thank goodness they've abliged. And how to pack up items before treatment for storage etc. As well as basic information on bed bugs and the importance of communication and awareness. They want me to educate the community about bed bugs.

Now I guess I worded my title wrong. I don't want to get training with the intention to start my own company. I was thinking after all this is done we are still going to need someone, be it myself or someone else, that has training on applying chemicals and using heat treating equipment properly for future problems. It would cost too much to get a PCO to come out every time someone has bed bugs. This would be a more cost effective approach.

I do understand how much work goes into this. I understand that its more than just going into a home and spraying around.

5. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 30 2017 17:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 25 minutes ago  » 
    I live in saskatchewan Canada near Kelvington.

I realized after I commented that I was thinking of someone else, with a somewhat similar user name. (I'm super NOT close to Canada... unless you consider 9hrs drive close? Lol)

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 31 2017 5:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In which case what you are looking for is an pest management program for a community based on issues with roaches and bed bugs. At a basic level TbyPMR and roach baiting with gels would do that efficiently and effectively.

However, were I to be looking to do that specification and manual completely I would need to actually see the properties and understand the community so that all the resources from education through to standard operating procedures could be mapped, documented and trained. Its not my bread and butter work but it is actually the kind of thing I do 6 or 7 times a year in varied and different environments.

It helps that my approach to bed bugs is modular but the hard part comes when you link all the aspects together and make the modifications so that it maps into the clients operational culture. If you have access to "change management" professionals in your community they should be able to explain why this makes the difference between a working solution and one that quickly falls apart.

Conversely I have seen organisations go from chaos through to being process orientated through the integration of bed bug systems. One of my early clients was literally chaos in-house as they lacked any form of QC to what they did. As a result some parts of the building were really suffering. A tough chat with management during installation and they saw the benefits to have skeleton processes that hold what they do together.

In my case I can thank my previous training rather than my pest control training for being able to work at this level.

Yes its an awesome concept and yes its more than feasible for one person to look after 300 homes per year with the core household issues. The wildlife pests get a lot more complex but in those situations proactive awareness and prevention go a long way if people listen. It is also worth noting that it is possibly easier to do under a co-operative / community basis than as a stand alone company, for want of no finer example the "BigDummy" model. Taking bed bugs in-house is feasible but it works best when their is co-ordination at all levels and people engage in supporting the solution.

I am certainly not trying to discourage and in fact view this as encouragement to think bigger because if you can get things towards a 70% community immunity threshold through education alone it will set an example for others to follow.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas