Beauveria Bassiana seems to have worked

(11 posts)
  1. anonabug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 29 2018 10:50:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I seem to have had success in a household that was NEVER going to comply with prep or "sleeping safe". I had used a combination insecticide appropriately applied - after application, dead bugs were seen, but because household was totally noncompliant, infestation was never eradicated despite multiple applications.

I Waited until Aprehend had been approved, but it wasn't available yet in my area. I ordered Beauveria Bassiana powder for use in greenhouses. I used a heaping tablespoon of the powder mixed very well into a gallon of tepid water at about 70 degrees F. I heated the house well, and ran hot showers with shower doors/curtains open, and humidifiers. Set the sprayer for a cheap standard pump sprayer at a medium-fine setting, and sprayed all the beds, floors, ceilings, everywhere. Focused on the areas where people slept. Used about 2 gallons overall for about 2000 sq ft of living space, with many bedrooms. Kept unit empty for about 6 hours to allow all to dry/settle.

I had wanted to do two applications about a week apart, but due to factors beyond my control, the two treatments were separated by about two weeks. Last treatment was about two months ago.

Occupants, when asked recently, reported that the problem is gone - no one is getting bitten, no bugs seen. And the occupants did have the standard skin reaction to the bites, so it's not that they wouldn't know.

I know it's only anecdotal evidence. And believe me, these occupants are totally unreliable people. But they had been complaining about an infestation for over two years, and it was never able to be gotten under control with appropriate, combination insecticdes appropriately applied, because they would never cooperate with prep or "sleep safe" in beds in climbups away from walls (and yes, we DID provide all these things and instruct them multiple times on how to comply - it was just NEVER gonna happen). And now they say the problem is gone.

I'll report back again in a few months, but if this stuff has worked, this household is the poster child for it being the easiest and most efficacious treatment ever. If it were a publicly held company, I'd be buying stock in it! I even seriously considered becoming a licensed pest control owner just to be able to start a business using this!

From what I understand, the Aprehend is formulated with an oil base to try to keep the spores around longer in the unit, so that a preventative spraying can be done every 3 months. I think that the gardening powder mixed with water does seem to work. In a perfect world, I would have applied it weekly for four weeks in a row just to be sure, but even done twice two weeks apart seems to have done it.

I am just afraid that the bedbug population in general will quickly develop resistance to the fungus. As soon as a couple of them in the worldwide population survive with resistance to the fungus, they will multiply and spread and it will be back to the drawing board.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 29 2018 11:00:06
    #

Login to Send PM

That must be a huge burden off your back, congrats. I hope the next update is more of the same good news.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 29 2018 23:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this the same home you treated with Cimexa last year?
    https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/cimexa-alone-seems-to-have-worked

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. anonabug

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 30 2018 12:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 month ago  » 
    Is this the same home you treated with Cimexa last year?
    https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/cimexa-alone-seems-to-have-worked

No, it is not. And now I realize that that was probably NOT bedbugs - I think it must have been some type of mite, that we picked up at my mother-in-law's during a prolonged summer visit, and brought home with us, that spread from one person's bed to all the household's beds. For that, Cimexa around the beds and between the mattress and boxsprings DID work very, very quickly. But it could have been that the mites died a natural death - they definitely were NOT scabies (I know how to diagnose scabies, for sure), and many other mites just won't stay around humans that long.

5. anonabug

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 30 2018 12:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, husband spoke with the inhabitants today. The two applications of Beauveria bassiana, a week apart, appear to have worked!!!! It's been another month, and the woman of the house reports that they have had no further trouble with bedbugs!

These are people who either sleep on mats on the floor or, more recently, some on beds pushed together up against the walls. They would not comply no matter what with the bedbug prep instructions. They live in absolute filth, and after they were compelled to begin complying with prep, would not get rid of the infested items. They just piled them up into an unused 3 season room. We had previously seen dead bedbugs after a chemical pesticide treatment, and a live, recently fed one during a visit. It's an enormous household, with many people. This is probably the worst case scenario for a bedbug infestation.

The only other way I can think of that we could have rid this house of bedbugs would have been to kick out all the inhabitants and their stuff, clean extraordinarily thoroughly, and then have slept as bait in the house, with climbups and rotating pesticides and cimexa on the floor around the climbups, so they would have to walk through the poison and cimexa to get at us - the bait - but not be able to reach us. We would have had to do this for months, until there had been no bedbug activity despite our continuing to sleep in the house, for months. It could have taken six months, possibly.

With this treatment, no cleanup or bedbug measures were necessary. It's quite safe, although I certainly wouldn't use it if there were anyone around who is susceptible to fungal infections - like someone on chemotherapy. It was relatively cheap, pretty simple to do, and it worked!!!!!!

Like I said, if this were a publicly held company, I'd buy stock in it.

6. Bugsareicky

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 1 2018 22:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

have you considered that they might be lying? It sounds like these people aren't too bothered by the bugs (seriously who the heck gets climb ups and doesn't use them?) They're probably just tired of you asking them to prep and are going to live with the bugs instead.

7. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 1 2018 23:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I would do inspections just to be sure

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  8. anonabug

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 8 2018 12:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't done repeat inspection. The black specks would still be there. We only rarely found live ones anyway. The tenant is very poor, very uneducated, has every state agency and service in the world involved. Despite the law that the tenant is responsible for extermination costs should they not cooperate, and they have absolutely NOT cooperated, they would never have been held to it, since they have nothing. This problem has been ongoing for over 18 months, and they've never beforehand reported that the problem is gone. They have absolutely NO incentive to lie about it.

Plus, it's a multi-unit, and it's not spreading.

No, I'm not paying to bring in a sniffer dog to confirm that the problem is gone. I'm taking their word for it.

Plus, since the problem was originally brought in by visiting relatives, I fully expect that it will happen again if relatives ever come visit again (we've told them not to allow this, that this is how it happened in the first place, but I doubt they'll comply).

So no, I cannot guarantee anything. All I know is that it was cheap, safe, and appears to have been effective.

9. Gotsuzuki13

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue May 22 2018 23:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Anonabug, can you email me at [deleted]
    , which powder you bought, where and the cost. Thanks.

10. yamato_big

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 6:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I would also like to know the brand of powder you used, and also the model of the cheap sprayer. Please post it here or PM me if mods might remove it. Thank you!

11. Itorturetheonesifind

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 7:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there I made an account just to inquire as to the safety of this fungus when it comes to people. I'm assuming you did your research, I found a post about someone contracting this fungus because they had lukemia or something but I'm guessing it shouldn't affect healthybodies otherwise right?
    I'm looking at the wiki:
    "
    However, different strains vary in their host ranges, some having rather narrow ranges, like strain Bba 5653 that is very virulent to the larvae of the diamondback moth and kills only few other types of caterpillars. Some strains do have a wide host range and should therefore be considered nonselective biological insecticides. These should not be applied to flowers visited by pollinating insects.[7]

Known targets include:[8][9][10]

Aphids
    Whiteflies
    Mealybugs
    Psyllids
    Chinch bug. "

And I wonder why this isn't common practice then? Why? Is there some unknown harmful to people/pets pest control know about and don't use this stuff for?
    If there isn't...I'm going to spray this shit all over my apartment floor. And if I'm understanding it right that ...OMG I just found this LOOK

"Preliminary research has shown the fungus is 100% effective in eliminating bed bugs exposed to cotton fabric sprayed with fungus spores. It is also effective against bed bug colonies due to B. bassiana carried by infected bugs back to their harborages. All subjects died within 5 days of exposure.[1]"

Non lethal, 30$ bags on eBay that kill bed bugs with fungus that easily spreads.
    Spreads --->
    "A strain of the fungus Beauveria bassiana (Balsamo) Vuillemin (Deuteromycota: Hyphomycetes) isolated from varroa mites, Varroa destructor Anderson & Trueman (Acari: Varroidae), was used to treat honey bees, Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae), against varroa mites in southern France. Fungal treatment caused a significant increase in the percentage of infected varroa mites compared with control treatments in two field experiments. "

Wow I'm so glad I found your post I'm gonna spray the shit out of my carpets as soon as I order and get this shit.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,556 posts in 45,815 topics over 139 months by 20,175 of 20,977 members. Latest: van1466, nimbusbugs, byebyebug