Beauveria Bassiana seems to have worked

(29 posts)
  1. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 29 2018 9:50:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I seem to have had success in a household that was NEVER going to comply with prep or "sleeping safe". I had used a combination insecticide appropriately applied - after application, dead bugs were seen, but because household was totally noncompliant, infestation was never eradicated despite multiple applications.

I Waited until Aprehend had been approved, but it wasn't available yet in my area. I ordered Beauveria Bassiana powder for use in greenhouses. I used a heaping tablespoon of the powder mixed very well into a gallon of tepid water at about 70 degrees F. I heated the house well, and ran hot showers with shower doors/curtains open, and humidifiers. Set the sprayer for a cheap standard pump sprayer at a medium-fine setting, and sprayed all the beds, floors, ceilings, everywhere. Focused on the areas where people slept. Used about 2 gallons overall for about 2000 sq ft of living space, with many bedrooms. Kept unit empty for about 6 hours to allow all to dry/settle.

I had wanted to do two applications about a week apart, but due to factors beyond my control, the two treatments were separated by about two weeks. Last treatment was about two months ago.

Occupants, when asked recently, reported that the problem is gone - no one is getting bitten, no bugs seen. And the occupants did have the standard skin reaction to the bites, so it's not that they wouldn't know.

I know it's only anecdotal evidence. And believe me, these occupants are totally unreliable people. But they had been complaining about an infestation for over two years, and it was never able to be gotten under control with appropriate, combination insecticdes appropriately applied, because they would never cooperate with prep or "sleep safe" in beds in climbups away from walls (and yes, we DID provide all these things and instruct them multiple times on how to comply - it was just NEVER gonna happen). And now they say the problem is gone.

I'll report back again in a few months, but if this stuff has worked, this household is the poster child for it being the easiest and most efficacious treatment ever. If it were a publicly held company, I'd be buying stock in it! I even seriously considered becoming a licensed pest control owner just to be able to start a business using this!

From what I understand, the Aprehend is formulated with an oil base to try to keep the spores around longer in the unit, so that a preventative spraying can be done every 3 months. I think that the gardening powder mixed with water does seem to work. In a perfect world, I would have applied it weekly for four weeks in a row just to be sure, but even done twice two weeks apart seems to have done it.

I am just afraid that the bedbug population in general will quickly develop resistance to the fungus. As soon as a couple of them in the worldwide population survive with resistance to the fungus, they will multiply and spread and it will be back to the drawing board.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 29 2018 10:00:06
    #

Login to Send PM

That must be a huge burden off your back, congrats. I hope the next update is more of the same good news.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 29 2018 22:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this the same home you treated with Cimexa last year?
    https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/cimexa-alone-seems-to-have-worked

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 30 2018 11:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 month ago  » 
    Is this the same home you treated with Cimexa last year?
    https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/cimexa-alone-seems-to-have-worked

No, it is not. And now I realize that that was probably NOT bedbugs - I think it must have been some type of mite, that we picked up at my mother-in-law's during a prolonged summer visit, and brought home with us, that spread from one person's bed to all the household's beds. For that, Cimexa around the beds and between the mattress and boxsprings DID work very, very quickly. But it could have been that the mites died a natural death - they definitely were NOT scabies (I know how to diagnose scabies, for sure), and many other mites just won't stay around humans that long.

5. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 30 2018 11:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, husband spoke with the inhabitants today. The two applications of Beauveria bassiana, a week apart, appear to have worked!!!! It's been another month, and the woman of the house reports that they have had no further trouble with bedbugs!

These are people who either sleep on mats on the floor or, more recently, some on beds pushed together up against the walls. They would not comply no matter what with the bedbug prep instructions. They live in absolute filth, and after they were compelled to begin complying with prep, would not get rid of the infested items. They just piled them up into an unused 3 season room. We had previously seen dead bedbugs after a chemical pesticide treatment, and a live, recently fed one during a visit. It's an enormous household, with many people. This is probably the worst case scenario for a bedbug infestation.

The only other way I can think of that we could have rid this house of bedbugs would have been to kick out all the inhabitants and their stuff, clean extraordinarily thoroughly, and then have slept as bait in the house, with climbups and rotating pesticides and cimexa on the floor around the climbups, so they would have to walk through the poison and cimexa to get at us - the bait - but not be able to reach us. We would have had to do this for months, until there had been no bedbug activity despite our continuing to sleep in the house, for months. It could have taken six months, possibly.

With this treatment, no cleanup or bedbug measures were necessary. It's quite safe, although I certainly wouldn't use it if there were anyone around who is susceptible to fungal infections - like someone on chemotherapy. It was relatively cheap, pretty simple to do, and it worked!!!!!!

Like I said, if this were a publicly held company, I'd buy stock in it.

6. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 1 2018 21:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

have you considered that they might be lying? It sounds like these people aren't too bothered by the bugs (seriously who the heck gets climb ups and doesn't use them?) They're probably just tired of you asking them to prep and are going to live with the bugs instead.

7. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 1 2018 22:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I would do inspections just to be sure

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  8. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 8 2018 11:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't done repeat inspection. The black specks would still be there. We only rarely found live ones anyway. The tenant is very poor, very uneducated, has every state agency and service in the world involved. Despite the law that the tenant is responsible for extermination costs should they not cooperate, and they have absolutely NOT cooperated, they would never have been held to it, since they have nothing. This problem has been ongoing for over 18 months, and they've never beforehand reported that the problem is gone. They have absolutely NO incentive to lie about it.

Plus, it's a multi-unit, and it's not spreading.

No, I'm not paying to bring in a sniffer dog to confirm that the problem is gone. I'm taking their word for it.

Plus, since the problem was originally brought in by visiting relatives, I fully expect that it will happen again if relatives ever come visit again (we've told them not to allow this, that this is how it happened in the first place, but I doubt they'll comply).

So no, I cannot guarantee anything. All I know is that it was cheap, safe, and appears to have been effective.

9. Gotsuzuki13

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 22 2018 22:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Anonabug, can you email me at [deleted]
    , which powder you bought, where and the cost. Thanks.

10. yamato_big

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 5:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I would also like to know the brand of powder you used, and also the model of the cheap sprayer. Please post it here or PM me if mods might remove it. Thank you!

11. Itorturetheonesifind

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 6:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there I made an account just to inquire as to the safety of this fungus when it comes to people. I'm assuming you did your research, I found a post about someone contracting this fungus because they had lukemia or something but I'm guessing it shouldn't affect healthybodies otherwise right?
    I'm looking at the wiki:
    "
    However, different strains vary in their host ranges, some having rather narrow ranges, like strain Bba 5653 that is very virulent to the larvae of the diamondback moth and kills only few other types of caterpillars. Some strains do have a wide host range and should therefore be considered nonselective biological insecticides. These should not be applied to flowers visited by pollinating insects.[7]

Known targets include:[8][9][10]

Aphids
    Whiteflies
    Mealybugs
    Psyllids
    Chinch bug. "

And I wonder why this isn't common practice then? Why? Is there some unknown harmful to people/pets pest control know about and don't use this stuff for?
    If there isn't...I'm going to spray this shit all over my apartment floor. And if I'm understanding it right that ...OMG I just found this LOOK

"Preliminary research has shown the fungus is 100% effective in eliminating bed bugs exposed to cotton fabric sprayed with fungus spores. It is also effective against bed bug colonies due to B. bassiana carried by infected bugs back to their harborages. All subjects died within 5 days of exposure.[1]"

Non lethal, 30$ bags on eBay that kill bed bugs with fungus that easily spreads.
    Spreads --->
    "A strain of the fungus Beauveria bassiana (Balsamo) Vuillemin (Deuteromycota: Hyphomycetes) isolated from varroa mites, Varroa destructor Anderson & Trueman (Acari: Varroidae), was used to treat honey bees, Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae), against varroa mites in southern France. Fungal treatment caused a significant increase in the percentage of infected varroa mites compared with control treatments in two field experiments. "

Wow I'm so glad I found your post I'm gonna spray the shit out of my carpets as soon as I order and get this shit.

12. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 20 2018 9:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Update. No further reports of bedbugs in that unit or that building. As far as I know, no mass visit from relatives from all over the country yet, either.

Meanwhile.... my kid in a western state who lives in an apartment complex, reported an invasion of bedbugs, likely from an adjacent unit. Kid had bites and the typical reaction, had seen a bug. I sent to kid via two day mail some of the powder. It's called BOTANIGARD 22 WP, and it's easily available on the internet. Had kid pick up a garden sprayer at Home Depot. It's an HDX one gallon sprayer. Also had kid get a respirator mask, to use while spraying it, even though I think it's overkill.

One heaping tablespoon of Botanigard mixed very well into lukewarm water (70 degrees fahrenheit would be ideal). Soak the areas where bedbugs are most likely to go - the mattress edges, linens, blankets, floor around bed, and also all the baseboards, outlet covers, etc - anyplace where bedbugs might hide. Leave and let everything dry. If you can have the place be warm and humid, all the better.

So kid did a treatment every other day (overkill, probably only needs to be done twice, but I cannot blame kid!), and about two weeks after kid started treatments, problem completely gone. I suspect that what kid did, cleared the entire multiunit building of bedbugs.

So now I have two anecdotal pieces of evidence. I'm hoping I won't have any more, but it appears that this approach works, is safe, cheap, and easy. Requires no prep. Clears an entire building. If you can infect just ONE bedbug, they'll carry it to all the others.

As long as the bedbugs don't evolve resistance to this fungus, stuff should work.

13. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 20 2018 9:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

One other thing - you're supposed to not expose the fungus to freezing or hot temperatures. Try to keep it from being exposed to temps over 85 degrees fahrenheit. I would recommend keeping it in the refrigerator, as long as stuff in your fridge doesn't freeze.

14. yamato_big

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 23 2018 6:45:55
    #

Login to Send PM

@anonbug

Did you tell your kid to properly humidify the apartment? Did he comply and how did he do so?

I am wondering if it would still work without proper humidification as I feel many people might be lazy and skip this part.

Thanks for the info!

15. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 31 2018 0:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I don't think the kid did ANYTHING to humidify. Kid lives in a dry climate. But apartment building is near a stream. I don't think it was very humid in there.

Spoke with kid again tonight. The problem is GONE. I cannot believe it was that easy. This stuff really works.

16. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 9:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok ! Ordered this and will do as you say! But do i take away cimexa ? Will it dry out floor? Have blood stains all over my cushions bites every day now - and two toddlers . Do you think its safe for children? Thanks

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 9:46:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I sincerely hope that people who read this type of thread start conducting more research before jumping to conclusion that this is "their magic bullet".

Often such posters have a history of declaring solutions only to come and declare another some time later.

There is also the reality that those who have been around for a while have seen this before and know it does not work.

More than that we know and understand the damage that such false hopes and shattered dreams can have on some dealing with bedbugs. There is also the fact that it is even worse for those who are not in fact battling bedbugs but have not yet identified what is causing the problem.

When it comes to bedbugs if you read something and it sounds to good to be true, a magic spray or a plug in device I can assure you its not that simple.

Dealing with bedbugs is a complex task aand those seeking quick fixes often send 300%-1,000% more time and money because they jump from one supposed solution to another, each time making their situation harder to actually fix.

I sincerely hope this serves as a strong caution note to any and all.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  18. anonabug

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 16 2019 23:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I completely agree with the above poster - David Cain, Bed Bugs Limited, a professional - there is no magic bullet. In fact, every single method used has some reports of ineffectiveness, on this very website. There are pesticides that the bugs have become rapidly resistant to. There are heat treatments, which are difficult and dangerous to do, and are not always effective. There is Cimexa, which can work, but also is not rapid, and not 100% effective in every case. In fact, there is NO single treatment that can be said to have been reliably 100% effective in every case, in every setting.

This entire website exists for people to share information. There are professionals who know what they're doing, and are or are not successful. There are professionals who don't know what they're doing, and are not successful. There are individuals who try treating on their own, and are or are not successful. Not everyone can afford thousands of dollars for professional treatments that may or may not work.

Beauveria Bassiana is probably a lot safer than the pesticides, and a lot less risky than whole house heat treatments. There has been ONE report of human infection with BB, in a severely immunosuppressed patient who was heavily exposed to it. BB definitely does work, or Apprehend would not have been able to get approved. It's relatively cheap and easy to use. It's been used safely in organic gardening for many years, but it hasn't been used in people's homes and bedrooms for many years. Even though it seems as if it should be safe, we really don't know. Everything we do in life has a calculated risk:benefit ratio.

The fact is that if a safe, effective, inexpensive home treatment were to be easily available, it would put all the professional bed bug exterminators out of business. BB may be that very treatment.

19. anonabug

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 16 2019 23:20:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugsareicky - 8 months ago  » 
    have you considered that they might be lying? It sounds like these people aren't too bothered by the bugs (seriously who the heck gets climb ups and doesn't use them?) They're probably just tired of you asking them to prep and are going to live with the bugs instead.

We told them NOT to prep. Public health authorities were involved. Physicians were involved. People whose culture has them sleeping on the floor, who do not work, and who do not live any type of first world lifestyle (and by that I include monogamy, modern sanitation, etc), won't use climbups and beds even when they are provided for them. But skin doesn't lie. Physicians don't lie. Physical examination of said minor's skin doesn't lie. So yes, I think it DID work.

20. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 4:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update!

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 4:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi anonabug,

There are methods that are 100% effective, any method that manually kills the bedbug is 100% effective, my magic bullet statement specifically refers to sprays and yes I include BB in that.

In order to keep the spores viable it must be suspended in a hydrocarbon, something close to gasoline and the risks of human exposure to these materials are known.

There are safer ways to use this type of product but when I offered to explain this to the inventor many years ago I was dismissed. I actually found a home in the UK which had an active BB bloom indoor which was keeping their infestation at bay but it did have a health impact on the occupants.

There are however a whole range of environmental conditions where fungus based biological control will not work because the spores can’t activate. As such it’s best not to assume that just because something works in a green house that it will work in a home.

Sadly these threads always descend into a swamp of people assuming they understand the science when they have barely observed the situation through a key hole let alone understood the whole picture.

David

22. yamato_big

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 16:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm chiming in here to say I actually tried it and it worked. The first time I just did it once, and it went away for a few weeks. Then I started spraying every weekend and it went away finally. I also noticed some of the mods on this forum bring up concerns about this product. Yet I've spent probably hundreds on some of the useless products peddled on this website (steamers, heat closets, traps, etc), and they were all basically garbage.

Yes probably the best solution is to find a knowledgeable PCO, however that is near impossible in today's climate as there are so many frauds that will spray hazardous chemicals everywhere for a quick buck. If you can find a good PCO go with that.

IF you can't, I found that Cimexa and Beauveria Bassania seems to be the best products out there.

23. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 16:35:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Your garbage is someone else's tool, don't blame the hammer...

24. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 16:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey BD, the same tools I have used to provide an effective and world class service since going green in 2012 without any spray garbage toxic or otherwise. Now if people could just learn to use those tools effectively they would not need to put themselves through the trauma that bedbugs can be when you don’t do it correctly.

David

PS no mods around here, only 1 site owner who started it to help people having found few resources during their issue.

25. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 16:55:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Steamer, monitors, heat chambers and a little desiccant, you know my tools.

26. HelpBB

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 19:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yamato_big I agree there are not enough reliable PCO's to treat. For example I live in a big city and there are only a couple PCO's that treat for bed bugs in my town. When I called they said they were to busy to help so I had to call other town's PCO's. I found one to come to our house for a price but they did not do what they said they would. One guy showed up when I was told 2 would and he did a very very quick spraying of the roughly 3,000 sq ft house. It is so frustrating. Wish there were more really good PCO's that did a fantastic job fighting these little devils.

Big Dummy where all do you put the dust? Where would one put it to help prevent any new introduction of these hell spawn? I have 3 young kids that go to school and with bed bugs being so much more common would love to know how to better protect my family. I have the kids leave their book bags and jackets in the garage. Take shoes off outside etc. They get undressed and clothes go straight into the wash with scalding hot water.

27. Leila

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 23:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi its a good day - 3 days no bite.. only one bite ... So in 9 days one bite.
    If i get another bite and think its bed will steam matress myself. And put bed in zappbug for a day.
    Cimexa ( one 6 oz bottle around and under bed plus DE . Drying out my nose and eyes in a bad way though... will leave it like this until 3 weeks no bites. But will def spread it out thinner then.
    Putting only disinfected clothes to bed with small children is very very time consuming - they have a nap too every day. But willing to do it. Seems to be working.
    Apprehen is on its way sprayer too.
    Its my back up plan. If things go sour in april/may.
    Feel like an alcoholic counting days . bite free.
    anyhows 6 months is a long time for leaving cimexa and living like this - but hey seems to be only thing working coupled with steaming bed.
    What options do i have? Haha none.
    Refuse to use up mythic/ phantom. Too Toxic . Also hey like temprid and all the rest prob doesnt work on my bbs.
    So yep prefer that bacteria as back up plan..
    have given up on finding one - as bed seemingly bb free..
    no blood no little black round specks in bed- for now.
    Hope it stays that way.
    Fingers crossed 🤞

28. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 9:01:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Leila - 9 hours ago  » 
    have given up on finding one - as bed seemingly bb free..
    no blood no little black round specks in bed- for now.

29. Leila

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Jan 26 2019 1:13:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Had a small bite yesterday . And one on in face today wich is not itching yet? Hopefully it wont Start. But getting new bed next week . Have to then do the bait thing in room dogs marked in. Sending my husband to sleep there first... probably more likely to find one there.
    Anyhows. Will wash all bed today again. not happy about little bite yesterday.
    I ve use car yesterday long time. I hope its not from in the car.
    Ever heard of anyone getten bitten on face in car while driving without realizing ?
    Small bite small itch so either small bug or didnt get enough time...
    could it be the car reinfecting the house. It was vikaned too bit was it long enough?
    Anyhows lets see how sleeping in bed this weekend goes . after everything is washed. And lets see what that not yet itching spot in face is... will know in couple of hours...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982