BBs in Condos and what we did

(5 posts)
  1. lvgraham

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 11:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I am the president of a condo association. When a lone bed bug bit me, my reaction was so severe, I thought it was brown recluse spider bites - my toe turned black and swelled up to 2 times it's size. I sprayed my room, washed my sheets, saw my doctor, and the next day I awoke to bites on my fingers. This time I found the culprit hanging onto the underside of my covers. I put my fat little bed bug in a jar. This time I fogged with 12% pyrethrin, washed ALL of my bed coverings, caulked the space between my floor and baseboards, and dusted the mattress seams, boxprings, and HW floor with DE. I contacted my office and they said a unit 2 floors beneath me was suspected of having bed bugs. I caused such a stink that we had all the units in my building inspected, finding bed bugs in 10 out of 14 units!!! One woman had them in her baby's crib! Acck. Using language that involves an owner's responsibility to provide and maintain a safe condition within their unit, we were able to force all unit owners (both resident and landlords) to pay for extermination. We got a reduced rate for this service from the exterminator and had all units done (even the ones with no sign of infestation)on the same day. That was Thursday. We will have a follow up treatment in 10 days. <b> I will keep you posted about our success or failure. <b> One thing we found out was that people are afraid of coming forward with their problem until someone else speaks out. No one wants everyone to think they are the source. Which is totally stupid -- I have a friend who stayed at a 5 star hotel in Key West. For the low low price of $500 a night, she got bitten by bed bugs and brought at least one of the little b@stards home with her. Well, wish us luck -- our exterminator is using Bedlam. I still think the DE is an important component of the treatment. I am definitely using it in my unit.

2. MixedFeelings

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 16:04:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Good for you! And thanks for letting us know about your story. Please come back and post to this thread with updates. Many of us live in multi-unit complexes like yourself. Although most of us are NOT able to get cooperation from the landlord and/or other tenants to have inspections and treatments. Well done for you all! Sounds like you have a good chance of beating this.

MF

3. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 4:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Being a (former) condo owner in a 12-unit building with this problem, I found your post very helpful, thanks for sharing. One thing I thought odd in my situation is that the owner of the originally infested apt had no problem reporting it to management and the board; but the condo board members were the ones reluctant and afraid to confront the issue and inform all homeowners. Last I heard, the board members were putting a half-cup of bleach in their wash and having someone surreptitiously spray the hallways.

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 8:08:06
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an important story. I do believe there are unique problems of reporting of bedbugs in condos for many reasons, many financially-related. You show the way for condos and condo boards to go. It was particularly helpful when you said you found evidence of bedbugs in 10 out of 14 of the units. We are not surprised here. Multi-unit buildings have bedbug problems that are rarely in one unit.

5. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 9:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this on another post but I thought fogging was not a good thing to do when it comes to bed bugs.

Am I wrong on that?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,903 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186