Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

BBs encountered at hotel - is this right protocol?

(5 posts)
  1. Scared88

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 17 2019 7:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband returned home from a 2-night work trip where he stayed at a hotel. He checked the bedding and all but didn't see any signs. Last night, however, he had 8 bites crop up on exposed skin. He's been exposed to BBs before and we are 99% sure these are BBs. So, now for my questions:

1. He changed in the bedroom when he came home yesterday (put the clothes in the hamper) but had been working in those clothes the entire day. When we noticed the bites a few hours later, I went and grabbed the laundry hamper and threw the clothes he'd worn (plus some underneath) in the dryer on hot for an hour. Hopefully this is good enough to stop any hitchhikers that may have traveled on clothing- is that likely that they'd stay on through a whole day of work?

2. His luggage is still sitting in the car. Normally when he returns from a trip, I put his luggage on the porch, move all the clothes into a trash bag, take that straight to the washer for hot wash, throw out the garbage bag, then inspect the luggage before moving it in the garage. Is this good enough?? I'm super paranoid there could be BBs in there!

Finally, I don't even understand why BBs get in your luggage. If they're getting nice free meals in the hotel bed, why are they running around looking for your luggage? Is this only in more severe cases where you'd see signs?

Uggghhh, I will forever live in fear of these things

2. Scared88

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 17 2019 7:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, also, should I be worried about them being in the car if the luggage has been sitting in there overnight?

3. Scared88

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 17 2019 12:39:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe I should leave the luggage in the car for a few days? It's 85 today, 90 over the weekend. That oughtta be hot enough to kill anything inside a closed car for a few days?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 17 2019 12:51:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please have a look at the FAQ which covers this scenario in great detail.

David

5. Scared88

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 17 2019 13:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I did take a look at this FAQ: http://bedbugger.com/2007/08/05/faq-i-stayed-somewhere-that-had-bed-bugs-what-do-i-do-to-keep-from-taking-them-home/

Unfortunately, the referenced articles (Kells/Hahn) are broken links. Just hope I'm doing the right things...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW