Bb's and heat (electric mattress pad)

(3 posts)
  1. Rosella in NYC

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 17:31:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I was wondering what affect (if any) an electric mattress pad might have on bedbugs (10 bites over 17 days, no sign of bugs/fecal matter/blood/etc, have cleaned/laundered like mad, isolated the bed, going crazy). I often sleep with the electric mattress pad turned on. For those unfamiliar with an electric mattress pad, it is a mattress pad that plugs into the wall and has a on/off button and a control for the amount of heat (typically between 1 and 10) and it automatically shuts off after 12 hours (it is the best invention EVER – similar to an electric blanket). I have been researching to find out how hot they can get, but haven’t really found any numbers. I found one company website stating their mattress pad reaches 118 degrees (but it was not the brand that I have). The fact that I sleep with Modal sheets (warm and hold in heat) and a heavy down comforter in a heavy corduroy duvet cover probably makes it even warmer. Do you think this heat further draws the bugs to me? Do they like warmth? Or does this speed up the gestation/development period for the eggs so they are hatching faster? Or is it hot enough to kill them? Or does this make it any harder for them to get to me as it is another layer (I have my electric mattress pad over a regular mattress pad)?

Thanks for any/all help. I’m trying to stay level headed about this and not rip my own skin off due to itchiness!

2. CookEmDanno

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 17:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

If a heating pad gets hot enough to kill bugs, it's hot enough to burn you. Don't try it. The bugs will probably avoid the extreme heat by infesting your duvet. (Ah, if only a simple heating pad were the answer ... )

3. Rosella in NYC

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 23:38:40
    #

Login to Send PM

But do the bb's LIKE heat? Are they more attracted to me because I am sleeping on a heated mattress pad? Is there a downside to my using my electric mattress pad? It would be great if it did some good (like kill the eggs or something), but I certainly don't want to be doing more harm by further attracting them to me.

Does anyone know how hot electric mattress pads get? I haven't found much information on this.

Thanks,
    Rosella

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993