BBs and child custody visitation

(3 posts)
  1. IWannaStopItching

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 29 2013 17:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I just started a different thread but I am not sure what the proper way to handle this is.

We have been treated twice for bedbugs. My husband lives in Brooklyn and I live in the suburbs.

He has had visitation with the kids three times since this became a problem. We had our last treatment at the beginning of August and now he does not feel comfortable visiting with the children.

I explained that we are unfortunately unable to be "all clear" for some time. I explained that preventive measures can be taken, and offered to dress the children in clothes out of the dryer at the door when he arrives and have them wear flipflops.

He says he cannot take the risk of getting bedbugs. I do not know if this has been brought up, but I was wondering if some experts could weigh in. As a single parent, especially in the summer, it is difficult for me to have no co-parenting with the kids and I know they were looking forward to a weekend out of the house since mommy has been so busy doing PCO protocols and trying to work on work related work.

Any advice for this situation? I am exhausted beyond measure and really need the help. I can't imagine six months with no assistance whatsoever.

2. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 29 2013 19:23:00
    #

Login to Send PM

If it were me I would try to get him educated a little more about the problem. BB infestation is scary and if he is uninformed about the ways to avoid spreading them, then he is naturally a bit wary. Send him some of the info in the FAQ's here about precautions when "visiting" and when he sees that you are doing all the right stuff, he may be more comfortable.

Then I would look for some way to compromise. Perhaps he could bring the clean clothes with him and have them put them on when he gets there. He could also keep any other items they need at his home. Communication and education is the key here.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

S

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 30 2013 1:50:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The travel FAQs explain how to visit someone without bringing bed bugs.

The FAQs on getting bed bugs out of your stuff may help also.

I think if both parties are knowledgeable about how to prevent the problem spreading, you can do this. Especially if you can limit other stuff being transported in between (be careful about untreated items, books, shoes, luggage, etc.).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams