(15 posts)
  1. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 21 2013 8:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi and sorry to be here, but glad I'm not alone in this thing

What would your experienced opinions be of how I got my newly-discovered BB infestation?

Facts:

-moved in to 3 year old condo, at end of March. Moved only ten stories up in same building.
    -No signs of BB before that in the year I lived on 7th floor
    -Very allergic to bites (allergic to bee [anaphalatic] mosquito, flea and pretty much any bites, so it's not surprising)
    -while in 7th floor condo only slept in bed maybe a total of ten times and slept on couch for the other nights (ya ya don't ask... My couch is comfty). Never got bitten on couch or in times I slept on bed downstairs. Never, I'd know..

Not that it matters too much how I got them but I'd like to run it by you all and see what your thoughts are

- had BB all along in my old, torn disgusting futon mattress and now that I had been sleeping on it for the (almost) full week since moving up to 17, I awoke 'the beast' and I had them all along
    - my Military boyfriend who had been on course, living in military school housing for two weeks prior coming to stay with me to help me move brought them in his suitcase/ on person ( googled BB and this military base name and two random complaints/ forum postings from 2010 had people complaining of a BB infestation there, but nothing newer than 2010). (Oh and bf has no bites, and he's asked everyone in his dorm and they don't have bites either, not even his roomie- and he's been back there since Easter weekend too)
    -the condo I'm currently in was vacated for 8 months before I took it over. Perhaps BB were already here when I moved in? I painted this place myself and therefore cleaned with a fine tooth comb (including taking off all electrical faceplates for prep) and saw nothing. But maybe they were dormant and it took the few days till I saw bites for them to rouse? (Slept here 4 nights pre-bite, 2 with the bf, 2 without)
    -my neighbors have them and I'm fresh meat?
    - and lastly, my condo building is full of young professionals that travel a lot. Maybe there were BB in the common areas (hall, elevators) and whilst I moved my Futon, and bedframe, the hour or so that these items spent in those areas was enough to pick up a bug, that was stray from a suitcase or the likes?

One other note: when my bf and I plopped the futon onto the freshly reconstructed Ikea, wooden frame, I noticed a small, apple seed bug that may or may not have been a BB. Thought nothing of it at the time, picked it up and pinched it with my nails and tossed it. Looking back now it very much looked like an adult, unfed, male BB.

One other detail: my bites only happened when I sleep in the bed, the nights I fell back into my old habit and slept on the couch, nothing. And since discovering these were prob BB bites, I've taken up the couch again too (bad I know as they will prob follow me)

Found two dead BB, or perhaps they were casing, not sure last night, so this infestation is confirmed. Hence why I've stopped just trolling this site and signed up.

Have double sided tape in door passages and am throwing out already disgusting matress today. Waiting for a call back from Orkin

Any ideas folks? TIA

2. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 21 2013 8:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

PS: my boyfriend is coming back from course this Fri and spending a couple of days here with me. What if he brought them? And even if he did or didn't. What can I do to help safe guard here for getting more, or him from getting them from me?

Thanks guys! I apprciate you listening

3. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 21 2013 8:37:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and sorry correction... I'd slept here about 10 nights before signs of bites, not 4 as stated above

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 3:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if you can work out the scenario that happened, but the travel FAQs has a post on how to avoid spreading them when you travel or are visited. See http://bedbugger.com/FAQs/travel

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 7:56:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, double post

6. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 7:56:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link. I've scoured this site top to bottom and am still learning!

I guess part if the other reason I'm trying to figure it out is because if it had something to do with the unit I want to alert the owner/neighbors. I want to talk to them but I'm terrified of being shunned in my very gossipy, upper-crust complex.

Also, I can't get the boyfriend to take this seriously and if it's him, he will invest his house too once he goes home

Thank goodness for my Mum. She's the only one who takes this as serious as I do and besides her, you guys have been my 'bffs' thru this

Chances are pretty good that I didn't have them all along tho, correct? If my bed was infested for a whole year in my old place, would they have not followed their meal who was sleeping on the couch? Or could the remain dormant in a dwelling where there is a possible meal? (And I have two kitties too that make a desperate back up meals)

7. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 13:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Well today Orkin came. The man was wonderful. It was very relieving to speak to a professional. He was very impressed with what I had done already and the methodology that I used to apply it.

Out of ways that I got them, we went through all the scenarios and he agrees that it's most likely hitchhikers from my bf who is currently on course from a military training base. Of course he couldn't be certain, but given the timings, size of the dead specimens and very low signs of established infestation in my house, that's what he thinks. Either that or hitchhikers' from the short time my belongings were in the hall and elevator while I moved up the ten floors. But he says that he as been part of large treatment processes at other military bases and that is a very common thing for them.

He found no sign of any BB. Not one. Not one single blood stain, poop, casting, nest, dead or alive sample. He said that it was probably a few hitchhikers that that they were probably on the bed frame or mattress that were already long gone. Since I have been new bite-free since last Thursday (knocking on wood three times as I write this) that I may have nipped things in the bud. Throwing out those items (bed frame was rickety and the mattress was 12-13 years old and torn and stained, was time to go anyways). Added with DE spread and constant vacuuming, *may* have been enough to stop this disaster before it started.

He sold me a can of his professional strength spray for the nooks and crannies. This has residual but he said spray, let dry, dust with DE, vacuum excess and seal any cracks with silicone. Given that my condo is brand-new I am super lucky that the nooks and crannies are really few in my place.

Since my shoes had been in open, rolling bins under mattress/bed, I had already treated them with contact spray. Let the spray dry on them overnight and then vacuumed them very well and sealed in plastic bags. I cleaned and vacuumed plastic rolling bins and then just have the plastic bags sitting in the bins. He did say that I have to continue with that and either steam or heat-dry my clothing (allllllll my clothing - sigh!! Lololol! I have SO much I could fill a small boutique) and bag all of that as an added precaution. Really not looking forward to steaming my brand-new wedding dress. All those layers and tulle and material… arg!.. And he said to bring up the only carpet I have in my living room.

I had already made an appoint with Orkin for Sat to have the place done, but he said he thinks it's premature at this time. I appreciate his honesty very much. He has seen a lot of situations I'm sure and I will trust him over anything I have in my head.

Step two of my ongoing saga however is ….

My boyfriend is coming to stay with me this Friday and after that, we are going home to his place for a few days. He has bags and bags of military clothing, uniforms, suitcases, shoes, combat boots, etc. I've finally managed to get him to take me seriously (he was convinced that I got BB because my mattress was old and dusty and disgusting…. Lololol).

I'm buying him a pair of new PJs and he will be changing in the shower on the pool house floor. I am going to wash/heat treat his outfit and shoes. The rest? I am going to spend a day with him at a public laundry mat and we are cleaning the whole thing before he goes home.

My only other fear is the car. Even if we wash and bag everything and give him the 'all clear' to go into his house, if there are stragglers in the car, that could be tough……

Not sure this is over yet, but I sure do feel better having a professional's opinion that I've done a good job so far containing this …..eruption

Sorry this is so long

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 14:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Given the lack of any confirming signs I not be so quick as to close the chance that it was not in fact bedbugs at all.

I don't like seeing people go through all this wasted time and cost without there actually being a point to it.

I think it might be well worth stopping, taking stock and making sure you are 100% certain it was bedbugs before taking the next steps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 14:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Given the lack of any confirming signs I not be so quick as to close the chance that it was not in fact bedbugs at all.
    I don't like seeing people go through all this wasted time and cost without there actually being a point to it.
    I think it might be well worth stopping, taking stock and making sure you are 100% certain it was bedbugs before taking the next steps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I found 4 dead ones. 100% Confirmed as BB by PCO

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 15:08:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK I missed that in your post.

Four dead bedbugs does not automatically mean there are more alive, if you still have the dead samples I can walk you through a quick and simple diagnostic on how to work out if they are recently dead or long dead.

If they are long dead it may be that they were brought in dead.

With regards the car a deep and thorough clean paying particular attention to the gaps in the seats should suffice. It tends to be that the fear of cars being an issue is greater than the incidences of them actually being an issue.

David

11. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 15:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

All 4 were very dried out and flat. Apparently they were near adult, or adults. None had fed recently is his opinion. They're golden in appearance too if that matters.

But there must be more somewhere as I def was bitten by them.

I self treated the mattress with a over the counter bb spray (had some of the same ingredients as the prof stuff I bought this am, just at a way lower concentration). The dried up ones were all under bed and in shoe trays. Leads me to believe I killed them and they fell out after.

Perhaps I threw out the majority with the frame and mattress?

I'm sure there are still a few lurking however.

12. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 15:35:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Ps. And thank you, I do have the samples in a bottle still. Would love your help in determining. Knowledge is power

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 15:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

An in focus picture would really help and should ideally be taken before the next steps.

OK this is how to crudely tell how long a bedbug has been dead for. As they are organic in nature they do degrade in some tell tale ways. The main way is the longer they are dead the more brittle them become. In fact after a year or two dead they almost fall apart into a bedbug type jigsaw of pieces assuming its not an excessively humid location.

If you take one of the dead bedbugs and apply the slightest pressure in a small but circular pattern you will be able to see how easily it falls apart between you fingers. Don't try to crush it with full force but build up and check for structural integrity as you do.

If not not brittle at all then its freshly killed as the exoskeleton is still more pliable.

You may also want to have a read through some of the posts I have made on simple treatment options for light infestations that have not established which this would cover if you have only just moved in.

David

14. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 17:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    An in focus picture would really help and should ideally be taken before the next steps.
    OK this is how to crudely tell how long a bedbug has been dead for. As they are organic in nature they do degrade in some tell tale ways. The main way is the longer they are dead the more brittle them become. In fact after a year or two dead they almost fall apart into a bedbug type jigsaw of pieces assuming its not an excessively humid location.
    If you take one of the dead bedbugs and apply the slightest pressure in a small but circular pattern you will be able to see how easily it falls apart between you fingers. Don't try to crush it with full force but build up and check for structural integrity as you do.
    If not not brittle at all then its freshly killed as the exoskeleton is still more pliable.
    You may also want to have a read through some of the posts I have made on simple treatment options for light infestations that have not established which this would cover if you have only just moved in.
    David

Thanks David, I would love to read up on them. Is there a particular locale where they are on this board or are they scattered?

I have yet to find my camera unpacking and for some reason my phone Takes cruddy shots. I will see what I can come up with tho.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 24 2013 18:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I will post a link when I am in front of a computer again or if you click on my username it will take you to my site and the information is also in the advanced educational section on bedbugs.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,575 posts in 48,150 topics over 149 months by 21,216 of 21,570 members. Latest: Lh0512, patmc3853, stennisplayer07