BB: The Sequel [now: success story]

(17 posts)
  1. WhyGodWhy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2015 21:10:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello warriors! I lurked during my first infestation over a year and a half ago and now that Satan has honored me with the privilege of seeing a bed bug in person again, I thought I'd join the fun:D

We had complete and total victory over a year and a half ago. Our infestation in our three bedroom apartment was confined to one room (mine. hashtag blessed.) and being young and ignorant, we did weird things like throw away our stuff and panic. (haha kids.) We alerted our apartment management, thinking they would assist, but instead they banned us from using the community dumpster, made us use and pay for Terminix and then lied about treating the surrounding apartments as well. Our Terminix inspector would have made an excellent ghost tours host.
    She positively identified the samples we saved and then took one look at the laundry on the floors of our housemates rooms and squealed "Ewww how do they live like this? They're probably here too.", but didn't actually look. Maybe she prefers to exterminate cute and clean things instead, I don't know. She walked through the house waving her arms about. "THAT should be bagged. THOSE should be bagged. BAG ALL THE THINGS or you will be heavily fined and have bed bugs forever. Goodbye." So we bagged our whole apartment, clothes, toys, happiness and filled our kitchen with the bags. The dryer ran at all hours of the night. We slept with flashlights, rubbing alcohol and surrounded ourselves with a protective moat of tears.
    When the exterminator arrived, he looked at our pretty much empty house and said "Uh..you all didn't have to do all that." He sprayed the corners of the walls delicately like we were politely spritzing them with $800 perfume and left. The bugs did not stop attacking. (just me and my partner. again hashtag blessed.) Terminix told us we'd need to wait about ten days, but they finally came back. Again, the gentleman began to cutely dab the walls, but this time we were like "NO! KILL THEM ALL! I WANT TO SMELL THE POISON! I WANT TO SMELL DEATH!" Turns out the nest had been in a painting over our bed which he would have missed had we not taken it down to be sprayed. He DRENCHED it at our request and after that we were bed big free. The End.

Prologue: The PTSD remained. We continued to check our furniture every time we received a mosquito bite. But we were free.

And now the SEQUEL. We are pretty certain that the first infestation occurred because one of us worked at the library and would bring home books that were stored by the bed. (Seriously people, paper books are overrated. Get a Kindle. It's called "Kindle" because you can go ahead and burn your books. Just kidding. Sorta.)
    Recently, a friend set a library book on the bed which we removed (because we are crazy people now.)That same night, my partner received those familiar bites. While inspecting, we found an newly fed, DEAD adult. "It's so great to see you in person." I told it with my voice trembling. "I have been thinking about you and studying your pictures for almost two years and am your biggest fan." TEN days later, I woke an hour before dawn with a new bite and with a flashlight, found a stage one baby. (Achievement Unlocked! Nightmare Returns) We were going on a two day vacation the next day and didn't want them to spread so we did our DE thing, sprayed the box spring under our BB encasement, added a new encasement, sprayed the mattress, gave it a new encasement as well and pleaded with the gods to spare us.
    The night we returned from our vacation, again I woke to another little baby on my arm. (Achievement Unlocked! Hello Darkness My Old Friend.) I noticed that our new encasement lacked sealant around the zippers so I fixed that. It's been three nights without further incident, but even so, we cancelled our overnight guests and dry our clothes and sheets before and after contact with the bed and intend on bagging our books and clothes to stop this nonsense early.
    We spoke to an exterminator who was optimistic about our chances of dealing with the problem without his help seeing as the "infestation" is too small to even find a good identifying sample, but of course offered to help us out for the low low price of $1000:D

We've got climb ups, encasement, rubbing alcohol, double-sided tape, DE, vacuum, garbage bags, contact sprays, more natural chemicals in the mail on the way, determination, experience and love. I'm hoping to come back with a positive report and thanks to the host for these forums!

2. thebugsgomarching

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2015 21:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

It certainly sounds like you are in an area where the exterminators are neither friendly nor sympathetic. The heat treaters we are working with are so kind and WANT to help us get rid of our problem before it is even a problem.

Good luck to you. Hopefully you can nip it in the bug.

3. WhyGodWhy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2015 21:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I suspect they're all just rich and no longer need the money so I guess I have new career goals now:D

4. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2015 21:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I identify with you so, SO much OP. You have a great sense about things. I am flying past the '30 day break-up' anniversary of my second infestation. (Really hoping that ex doesn't come back, ever.) Hope you get there soon!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 8:06:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Early detection is critical. Sounds like you'll be able to nip this in the bud.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. plshelp

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 9:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

But you two are so good together ):

7. WhyGodWhy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 3 2015 8:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

misery - 4 days ago  » 
    I identify with you so, SO much OP. You have a great sense about things. I am flying past the '30 day break-up' anniversary of my second infestation. (Really hoping that ex doesn't come back, ever.) Hope you get there soon!

Congrats! No worries, there are plenty of other horrors out there like having your favorite TV show cancelled midseason. You'll be fine:D

8. WhyGodWhy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 3 2015 8:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I am pleased at how this episode is progressing. Since my last post, I've received one bite and sighted one very flat, round starved adult who dropped down onto my arm in my bathroom in the late afternoon. "Ugh, you're being so desperate. It's pathetic."
    I put double sided tape around the vents in the bathroom and will inspect and bag the contents therein once my Cirkil arrives.
    The tiny attacks are so spread apart that I am able to relax, play video games and think about things beside bugs. I feel like the kid in Poltergeist counting the seconds between the thunder and lightning. I also sleep with a night light. Also I don't let people into my haunted room. Actually, I'm pretty sure Poltergeist is about bed bugs. *runs from home in the middle of the night* "You didn't exterminate the apartments around me, did you! You just moved the headstones!"

So yes, not a declaration of victory, but of optimism:)

9. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 4 2015 10:06:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it! And I can relate to the favorite show mid-season cancellation too well. Lol. If I listed my favorites, it'd be a complete list of every show cancelled mid-season it seems...... lol. But again, so glad you're finding your "new" normal (as I call it here) and relaxing more. It helps so much!!! Good luck in your battle. You're winning!!!!

10. canteven

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 4 2015 13:32:47
    #

Login to Send PM

WhyGodWhy - 1 day ago  » 
    I am able to relax, play video games and think about things beside bugs. I feel like the kid in Poltergeist counting the seconds between the thunder and lightning. I also sleep with a night light. Also I don't let people into my haunted room. Actually, I'm pretty sure Poltergeist is about bed bugs. *runs from home in the middle of the night* "You didn't exterminate the apartments around me, did you! You just moved the headstones!"
    So yes, not a declaration of victory, but of optimism:)

This is awesome. Thank you for the laugh. I hope this ends quickly for you! At least you are able to have a sense of humor about it to help you get through

11. WhyGodWhy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 28 2016 20:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: It has been SEVEN MONTHS since I've last laid eyes on a bed bug or received a bite.
    I do believe we have successfully thwarted the little bug family's attempt to move in! (It's cool. The schools in this district are pretty 'meh' anyway and they would have hated it.)

We did not end up hiring that $1000 exterminator, HOWEVER we did not mess around either. We treated all clothes, shoes, books and furniture with Cirkill and of course performed the ceremonial stacking of bed poisons described in my Oct 29, 2015 post. Our doors are still lined with double sided tape and our bed is a fortress atop climb ups and a moat of talcum powder.
    Whenever we felt that we were going a little too far in our battle preparations, we reminded eachother "Valbug Morghulis" - ALL BUGS MUST DIE.

We remain constantly vigilant, leaping out of our skin when we spot a piece of lint on the floor. but otherwise, we're all good now:) Thank you all for the support and encouragement! I hope others can take heart and know there is a way to defeat an early infestation without going broke or breaking. I wish you the best.

12. bugsniper

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 30 2016 18:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a blast reading this thread. Thank you. We're still in the thick of it, sort of. I haven't seen a live bug in a long time, but the dead ones keep popping up in strange places.

13. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 31 2016 3:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

@ Whygodwhy. Loved your posts, thanks for dropping by to cheer us languishers up.
    I still have not seen anything. Am over 30 days clear but still getting the occasional tiny bite and scratching at night. I suspect mites of some sort as I opened a bag of summer clothes and have not washed them all. Anyway I am more relaxed about the whole affair now that I do not get the big welts.

14. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 2 2016 15:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I really needed this laugh (I've become a paranoid lunatic since i discovered our BBs, four days ago). So glad your efforts are paying off.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 2 2016 22:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

WhyGodWhy,

It's a delightful writing style you have. Congrats on the death of your tiny houseguests.

Since you've updated this with your success story, I am going move this to the "success" forum.

By the way, sorry I missed it earlier, but bed bugs dropping from the bathroom ceiling suggest the neighbor above may have had a problem. Were they ever inspected? Bed bugs don't usually hang out in bathrooms, but pipe chases in bathrooms are sometimes used as conduits when they come from elsewhere. (In other cases, a bathroom bed bug can suggest they are bat or bird bugs, coming from outside.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. BBNL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 12:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

We spoke to an exterminator who was optimistic about our chances of dealing with the problem without his help seeing as the "infestation" is too small to even find a good identifying sample, [...]

Did the exterminator suggest how you could do it on your own? I've read a library's worth of stories but there's never enough knowledge associated with this topic.

Thanks!

17. Imoverit

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 23:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Brilliant! Great style and fun to read!! Congratulations on your success and sense of humor about it all :D!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82