Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

BB side effect - tiny red spots ? Anyone else getting them?

(18 posts)
  1. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 12:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - I was wondering if anyone else out there, since dealing with bed bugs, is also getting tiny red spots that look similar to cherry angioma on their bodies as well as little pin prick like bites? After our 2nd PCO treatment, I started to get a combination of both on my arms, chest, stomach and lower back. So far, we haven't noticed any on my husband. Since starting PCO treatments, neither one of us has exhibited any of the large, red welt like bites that seem to be more typical of bed bug bites.

I read older posts that many people seem to be getting these, even after treatments and successfully getting rid of bed bugs. But, in the older forums, there seemed to be no answers as to what was causing this. Some thought perhaps it was the body's immune system reacting to past bed bug bites or perhaps nymph bites, others believed it was a reaction to chemicals, etc.

Now I'm wondering if we have a situation with mites to deal with or if this is also, somehow, bed bug related.

2. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 14:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

YES.

Not all over like you're saying, but here and there I've noticed them. The ones that are just red are not raised at all, are yours?
    Some are alone, a couple have been in clusters. Idk what they are either..wondering if it's a reaction to living with these chemicals though..

3. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 15:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine aren't raised either - I have no idea what's causing these things, and I'm wondering if they'll go away or if, like the scars from past bed bug bites, we're forever marked with these things?? I also thought that maybe it has something to do with the chemicals.

4. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 15:22:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of mine go away, then more re-appear....

I want to say it's the chemicals rather than a reaction to a bite but i'm not sure!

5. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 13:36:00
    #

Login to Send PM

BBE, how long did you have them before they went away? I keep getting more spots and little prick marks (I don't think the prick marks are bed bug related b/c I can feel it happen - it's very quick and hurts at first. Just found out my husband has carpet mites at his office so wondering if he's bringing them home and it's related to that...will have to do research on them).

6. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 13:45:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to say they last at least two weeks or so. And the un-raised ones don't itch....?

Also, I get those prick feelings when i'm outdoors at night...Man something took a chunk out of my side in my yard the other night. Quick sting, swollen spot, to red spot, to gone. Quick, like you said. Not bb related. It's enough to drive someone going through a bb issue insane though.

7. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 14:24:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My red spots (also flat and don't itch) haven't gone away yet...I have a scar on a forehead from a bed bug bite and now I'm worried I'll be stuck with these marks, too! These quick little pricks have got me totally stumped - they happen in our place (we live in a high rise condo complex so unless I'm at a restaurant, I'm usually indoors at night - no backyard to hang out), and can happen day or night. And I never see the whatever it is that bit me!!!

8. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 14:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

PANewBugger,

I also get these little red marks on my arms after laying on the sofa and only when I lay on the sofa. I'm not worried because my sofa was never infested in the first place. They aren't itchy and go away fairly quickly, but still, I have no idea what it could be. I will always worry as every itch and mark on my skin will make me wonder!

9. trappedbklyn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 21:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

i get these too. i was hoping it was from biting midges. maybe not.

10. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 23:53:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Also getting them. Or I was. Lets say I had at the height of my infestation, 20 bites in one week? I would have maybe 2 or three of these. The ONLY grouping I saw was a tight grouping of three on my wrist, the others were singles, sometimes nowhere near bites.

Is it a reaction from another bug? from my bodies defense mechanism? nobody knows. Oldtimers will swear it cant be nymph bites, for what its worth.

11. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 31 2010 2:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

This is SO frustrating! I probably have at least a dozen of these flat, red spots on various parts of my body. This evening, I just noticed a few on my husband's chest and back of his upper arms.

Last night, I had something give me an incredibly painful quick prick on the back of my leg while I was sitting on the couch. I jumped up b/c it hurt and shocked me, and there was a small dot with blood oozing out. But, like always, didn't see any bugs. Gave the couch a good vacuuming, again, and so far, no activity. However, now I can't sleep because I've been getting the pricks with subsequent tiny prick marks while in bed. Not sure what's going on with that - I get up each time, examine the bed and see nothing. Also, I just washed all sheets, blankets, etc.

I'm so paranoid now that we're being infested with nymphs everywhere. The 3rd PCO treatment (tomorrow morning) can't come soon enough!

12. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 31 2010 21:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Everybody in the entire world has parasites. Just on your face alone, you have three different types of follicle mites. They are apparently good mites, at least, most the time. However, they are also suspect in cases of dandruff, psoriasis and other skin problems like acne. It depends on your immune system and whether or not you're allergic to their excretions etc. You know, if you died right now and they put your body immediately into a totally sterile environment - when they came to get you in three days, you would be over run with worms and you name it. That's because they're on you and in you, mostly kept dormant by your immune system, but once that fails? There's nothing to stop them. Okay, so moving right along here, perhaps the chemicals used to kill the bed bugs have one, incited your other parasites and two, lowered your immune system a bit. I myself am very sensitive to the bed bug spray. I never was before, but after I was blasted by my downstairs neighbor and her thoughtless exterminator who never bothered to even warn me and my landlord didn't warn me either and since we share a common fireplace, I got it all. Six hours they were down there spraying without telling me. Meanwhile, I had the ac on and the windows closed. I could hardly even walk for two weeks. And they've done it four more times since then. The result - I have been left with a very strange rash that itches and stings and I'm all marked up. These pesticides are NOT as safe as you're being told. I suggest you find some way to detox your body after being exposed to these chemicals and try to avoid being exposed to any more.

13. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 31 2010 21:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant to say that "after I was blasted by insecticides, I did become very sensitive to them."

14. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 1 2010 12:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all - thanks for sharing and the info! So sorry that we're all going through something bug related. I heard from a family member that Goldman Sach's Jersey City office has been found to be overrun with bed bugs - they're in most of the furniture, carpets, walls, etc. These things are everywhere.

Regarding the sharp, pin prick bites that are happening in our place - my husband learned from his company's building management that they have a carpet mite problem (that's what they told him but don't know if I believe them). He's been experiencing sharp bites on his ankles and lower legs while at the office. Whatever was biting him there has been brought back to our place. But from what I've read online, carpet mites don't bite, instead, they cause allergy symptoms. Rat mites (and believe bird mites) bite and can be painful. When I asked my husband if he was sure it wasn't rate mites at his office, he said that he recalls seeing mice traps behind some of the furniture so I'm guessing we now have rat mites (not carpet mites) at our place, in addition to bed bugs. Our PCO said that flea treatments should work for mites so when he was here on Saturday to spray around our rooms' perimeters for bed bugs, he also sprayed our carpets with a flea solution.

We've decided to stay at a hotel for the weekend with all the chemicals in our place.

15. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 11:02:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my.

I received another batch of red, flat dots. Now that I look at them, they look like broken Blood vessels. Can anyone agree with that?
    The spot is itchy for maybe a minute or two, and nothing is there. After I scratch it, the flat red dots appear. This happened Friday night while walking on the boardwalk of the Jersey Shore, not in my home. Now i'm left with a cluster of these red dots on the inside of my knee, not itchy at all. Not raised.

I think tisIsaidthefly is onto something with the lowered immune system or normal parasites having a different affect on us due to chemicals...

I'm just not sure what it is though being it happened while I was out.

16. HuntforBedBugBinLaden

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 12:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

They are bright red-- the size of a pin head. In retrospect, I should have entertained the possibility that these were the first sign that I was getting bitten. I looked my symptoms up on WebMD and was completely deluded into thinking that these marks were something else (I can not even remember what now). I wrote them off as being a symptom that I was getting older... The good news is that they are going away (seems to take a few weeks). Had they been what I initially thought-- they would have gotten progressively bigger over time.

I have seen a few descriptions on the internet that might suggest that bed bugs can make these sorts of marks. Also, these marks occurred before I knew that my apartment was infested and thus before the problem was treated.

17. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 13:03:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I get pin prick marks, but do not feel them biting. just itch afterward.

PANewbugger...this does sound like rat mites, and that is really awful. Now I'm thinking...flea treatment for mites?

I have heard Arm and Hammer baking soda dye free detergent or Borax used to wash the floors and walls helps with bird mites.

good luck-
    Amy

18. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 15:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I put a post up earlier today about my husband's office confirming it's rat mites that has now been brought home to us. I now just found out that the building management had known for quite a long time about this invading the office building. Now, others on my husband's floor as well as those 20 plus floors below him are having the same thing happen to them! A few people have also found dead mice in their offices. I'm pretty furious and think it unethical that building management knew for weeks about this, but took no precautions and did not inform those who work there. Did they not think people can bring these things home with them??!! When we found out about our bed bugs, my husband did the right thing and told them so that they knew to keep an eye out. I'm so angry right now.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,560 posts in 47,917 topics over 148 months by 21,109 of 21,448 members. Latest: urka1234, bb111, Paranoidforevs