Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

BB Passive placement --monitoring car & office chair?

(18 posts)
  1. tiredofbb

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2012 19:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We want to cover all our bases. Now, I have questions about setting passive monitors in car & office chair.

CAR: For the maker of BB Passive and others who've tested, where do you suggest placing BB Passive(s) in a car to help monitor? Do I need more than one? I've read through some of the related topics, but still have questions. For example, we're getting bites on back & neck & bend of leg/thigh that touches seat (and yes, we could be getting elsewhere, but this is a question about monitoring cars). My theory is they like to crawl up/down clothes until they hit a tight yummy spot like a waist band, sleeve edge, bra strap, or along where the seat belt sits and then they stop. But, then where do they go when they leave to hide. So thinking of their possible homes, seems like they would quickly crawl straight down into the space where the back of seat joins ( back folds back/forward) the bottom seat. Now, slipped one down into that space, how would I check it? and would I need to remove the paper to stick it on, or can I just slip it down? Would they leave for a new home if it was jostled around or when I need to check it?

What about placing another one on the vertical part of the bottom seat (towards the top where the back of knee is, more towards bottom of seat by the floor, or side of seat?

If the seat is leather, would the sticky backing be hard to remove later?

I also thought they could hide in the metal piece where the seat belt pulls into.

OFFICE CHAIR: Should I stick a passive underneath the front of chair where my leg bends? or side? or both?
    At my office chair I now have a bentwood rolling chair--NOT cloth. It's the same type chair that I noticed the local mall food court is now using. When I had a nice cushion cloth chair, I was getting bites, so I went out and bought my own bentwood chair. No more possibly hiding in the fabric and stuffing!!--I picked it because the back and seat is all one curved shaped piece. The only way they could climb up to me is from around the edges. For awhile I wasn't getting bit, but am a little more now on my back and butt. Perhaps they're hiding in the pole air lifter or rollers where I can't peer into. Sometimes I cover the seat with a plastic bag which helps, but that looks a bit strange to visitors. So, where to place and how many passives do you recommend for chairs?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 11 2012 22:39:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am still en route back to my office in London where I have images that cover all these install locations and can post an update to embed them.

Basically its 1 per seat only, driver seat only in cars/vehicles and the underside of the office chair and front edge of the car seat if that is a feasible location.

I will post more details when I can.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in the Passive Monitoring technology as the inventor.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Kass2010

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 20 2012 19:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping this as I have the same question. I recently purchased a number of BB Passive monitors, and want to install one in my car. In regard to placing it on the front edge of the driver side's seat, I'm confused - would this be on the front so that it's where the backs of your legs would be touching it, and it would be visible if someone was facing the seated driver? Or should it be on the underside of the seat, but closest to the front edge (so that it would be upside down)?

Thanks in advance!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 7:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Kass2010,

Yes its the front edge of the drivers seat and yes you can see it if you look towards the seat.

I will try and get some images uploaded later today to show this location.

Hi tiredofbb,

I received a longer version of this information by email the other day and said in reply that I did not think it was bedbugs in your case because of some of the things you disclosed. If you want to PM me we can take this discussion up in private if you wish.

David

5. Kass2010

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 21 2012 16:54:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Great, thanks David! I'll keep an eye out for those images!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 22 2012 10:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry I did not get a chance to do this Friday:

Install location for front seat

IMG_0322

Install location for rear seat

IMG_0325

Hope that helps.

David

7. Kass2010

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 9:38:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, that's very helpful! I'm planning to install the monitor in my car today (after a deep vacuuming).

Also, nice ride

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 9:42:36
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, its not my car, its my office managers and is now a distant memory since he has a child. He has joined the people carrier army and misses the convertible.

I personally am still waiting to be able to afford a convertible and am stuck in a little blue van, something of a come down from the S-class Merc I used to drive when I worked in the city as an analyst.

Glad the images helped though.

David

9. Kass2010

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 9:58:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hah, you'll have to share the story of your career switch to a bed bug warrior on the forums sometime.

Also, as an aside, thanks for creating the BB Passive monitors. Can't tell you how much peace of mind they give me (and what a time saver versus daily, crazy bed and couch checks). They're awesome - but don't worry, I've resisted the urge to line/decorate my bedframe with them...don't think that would make it into Elle Decor anytime soon.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 11:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Since you asked, long story short:

I was fascinated with genetics from a very early age (about 12) and worked towards a career in science. To fund my university education I worked in shops and found I enjoyed working with people and helping people out.

After a long career in different areas of science and medicine I realised that what was lacking in my life was working with people. The city folks cant really be classified as "people" in the UK as its all bottles of bollie and fax me later, I am off on a skiing weekend in the alps.

While looking for a new job my bother who just happens to be an environmental health officer suggested working in pest control a few days a week while I was looking at developing some new consumer technology.

The crux of it is that they felt working with radioactive isotopes and carcinogenics meant I would be safe to handle insecticides and rodenticides so off I went to be trained. The first job I worked on was in fact a Saturday bedbug job in North West London with some 4,000 samples running around the bedroom. I was hooked from first encounter and because the boss felt it appropriate for the university graduate (who he felt he had paid to go to university through his tax contributions) to do all the nasty jobs I naturally got the increasing bedbug issue.

It soon went from a job every few months to a job a week and within a year 6+ jobs a day. I subsequently discovered the first building wide spreading infestation along with how they were spreading and built my theories on local versus single source infestations.

In 2005 I realised that there was little or nothing in the public domain so I started to educate via the domain that later grew into my company because so many people were contacting me asking for help.

The rest as they say is more recent history.

Hope that explains.

David

11. Kass2010

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 16:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

David, that's such an interesting career path/trajectory, and I can't imagine a better background (science/medicine) to apply to bed bug eradication. We need more compassionate, knowledgeable people like you in the field - it's too bad there aren't any credentialing/licensing tests for PCOs like there are for physicians and scientists (or are there, and the bad ones in the U.S. at least just slip under the radar?).

Anyways, thanks for the laugh, re: getting hooked at your first job with 4,000 "samples" running around. That definitely earned a horrified laugh from me!

12. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 18:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

"Basically its 1 per seat only, driver seat only in cars/vehicles".[i]..

I want to put the monitors in both my SUV and hubby's car since he is back to traveling most weeks. I had read the previous sentence, but then saw the photos that included both a monitor on the drivers seat and also a monitor on the back seat. Do I put a monitor on the drivers seats only or as pictured with 2 monitors per car? I should mention that my SUV is occupied 95% of the time with at least myself and then 2 children in the rear seats. I really didn't know if that would make any difference or not. Hubby rarely has more than himself and one other person that he carpools with (seated in the front passenger seat). Thanks in advance!!

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 18:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is not really enough data out there to devise more than common sense. If only 1 seat is mainly occupied then only 1 is needed. If more seats are occupied for more than 50% of the use one front and one back may be advisable.

With front seats and car pooling I would prefer education than over monitoring, maybe by suggesting they monitor their home as part of the pool rules.

We have different car usage in London and the UK in general which reduces the rate of such exposures. I see more infestations in commercial vehicles and sleeping vehicles than domestic ones.

Hope that explains.

David

14. bedbug_OCD

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 25 2012 22:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    So it is possible to have bed bugs in cars? When I had a K9 inspection the man told me he didn't feel the need to check the cars if there were no alerts in the house. He told me it was VERY unlikely bed bugs would be in the car anyways, since the would by now travel to the house to be close to thier food or have died sitting in the hot car in the summer weather (96-98 degrees that time).. Sooo he was wrong ?

Thanks.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 26 2012 2:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

He was both right and wrong.

Correct that they are unlikely to be in the car only.

Wrong that the heat of cars will kill bedbugs unless they are parked much closer to the surface of the sun.

If you search the forum for cars and sun you will see all the reasons.

David

16. MommaOnAMission

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is an older thread... but what about children's booster car seats. I use my car for work, but I have to also use it for personal. My twin daughters have those big front facing seats which they will be using for a few more years now.

There should be an area on the side with enough plastic to stick it to.... Their legs aren't long enough to stretch close to the floor. Or would attaching it to the car's rear seat like in picture above be enough/okay?

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its all about what is the most occupied seat and thus the one that bedbugs want to be closest to as it provides food.

I would only recommend passenger seats and children's seats if they are either coming from known high risk locations or if they we co passengers for greater than 80% of the time spent in the vehicle.

Bellow that occupation level the 100% occupied seat (drivers) will always be the focus for bedbugs that end up living in the vehicle.

If you feel you must have one on the booster seat place it on the underside of the booster at the front edge as if it was an office chair.

Hope that clarifies.

David

18. MommaOnAMission

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 14:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982