(7 posts)
  1. paranoid101

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 6:57:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi.
    I need a little clarification and input please. I recently moved into a new furnished apartment. It came with everything including a bed. Anyway when I first moved in I checked the mattress and gave it a wipe as well as the metal frame and wooden headboard. Then I put my sheet and cover on and thought nothing of it. Then a few days later I noticed little orange marks on my freshly washed duvet cover and one on my sheet by the base. I thought it was odd but tried to forget about it. Then my ankles and lower legs started to feel itchy. I scratched it a bit. It looked like tiny pin prick dots in a row. They didn't turn into welts or bumps like I've had before with previous bb infestation when I was a child. Now today when flipping the mattress over I saw what looked like cast skins of something and because I had bb as a child I can't tell whether they were from them or carpet beetles which I've always noticed in and around most homes but never in a mattress. I removed all the skins I saw and am hoping no more show up. However I'm panicking that whatever it is may be living inside the mattress and will come out again. Do bb gnaw through material or is that just CB? Then I can determine what I have
    also getting a new mattress isn't possible because my rental contract is 6 months. How can I detect whether its CB or bb ?

thank you for any input.

2. justbreathing

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 7:07:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you keep the cast skins?

People here will ID them if you post pictures to flickr and then link to them here. Best way to know I think.

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 7:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. paranoid101

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 7:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't keep them because when I was getting them out of the little crevices they became really squished and broken up. If I see anymore I will definitely try to get some photos.
    Im just worried whatever they are is living inside the mattress because I don't remember seeing them when I initially moved in and gave the matress an inspection, unless I didn't look properly as I was tired and it was getting darker outside.

5. BP

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 13:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm far from an expert but I can give you my own experience with carpet beetles. The larvas can live around beds as well, a couple of years ago I had plenty of them between my mattress and frame. They loved to eat my old hair, my own skin sheds and dandruff, so it's was a perfect spot for them to live at because it was so difficult to keep it clean between frame and mattress. Now I don't have a bed frame anymore so it's much easier to keep it clean and not attractive to carpet beetles. Haven't seen them near the bed since then.

But this is just my old experience with CB. You need pictures so the real experts here can tell you what it is.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 13:33:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm awaiting when and if more are found so a picture can be posted. Just a note: plural of larva is larvae. Antennae is plural for more than one antenna.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. paranoid101

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 14:22:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your interest and help (to the above posters). Currently I haven't seen anymore. I am going to inspect the mattress frequently now.
    If this helps - I only saw the cast skins around these little button things that were on the mattress, i can't really describe what they were but when you think of a mattress and they have those little indents in a row with a little circular button type thing? Well these seem to be made of some kind of fur or wool I guess if they WERE CB as these were the only places i found the cast skins. I checked in the seams of the mattresses on both sides and couldn't find anything. I guess they probably are CB larvae if i think about it logically but I haven't seen any adult beetles in this room and how would that explain my 'bites' in a row? ;/ confused! Anyway if i manage to take a picture I will definitely post it up here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie