BB or Beetle or ? [a: Latridiid beetle]

(5 posts)
  1. moss-nyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 20:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! Very grateful that this resource exists. I was wondering if anyone could help ID this bug. I woke up yesterday with huge pink/red welts on my upper arm near armpit. They were grouped in three clusters a la bedbugs. They itched moderately, hurt a little bit at times, and felt a little "heavy" when I moved my arms fast (if that makes sense). I also got similar bites on my other arm about a month ago but thought it was an isolated incident since I noticed them in the early evening when I was out all day. Then I went out of town for a month, came back a few days ago, and then got these. It feels somewhat similar to these bites I got at my last apartment a few years ago, but those turned out to be carpet beetles, so I know I have an allergy to beetles.

Here's a link to a pic. I found it crawling on my hand when I was lying in bed just now.
    http://imgur.com/eBBSZ2r

It's pretty small -- like 1-2mm. Also it didn't move very fast. Actually was pretty slow. They don't look like adult bedbugs, but perhaps a younger nymph?

I accidentally just squashed it when I was moving the glass that was trapping it, oops. Doesn't look like there's any blood, and it looks like there's a clear'ish wing...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 22:26:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bed bug related in my non-professional opinion, but wait for an expert/pro to tell you what it is.

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 5:34:18
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a latridiid beetle and it looks like Adistemia watsoni. These are known as minute brown scavenger beetles and are associated with mold and fungi, water leaks, water seepage. Of course, sometimes these areas are hidden from view in homes.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. moss-nyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 9:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi loubugs,
    Thanks for the response! Do you know if these beetles also can sometimes cause allergic reactions, like carpet beetles?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 15:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

And my iPhone can now spell Latridiid beetle. (That took a while...)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,742 posts in 49,538 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie