Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

BB, kids and rental house. Answers needed.

(5 posts)
  1. bbandkids

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 14:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I am new in this forum and I need advice.
    On June 5th, I found bedbugs in all stages of life on my daughter’s bed and wood bedframe. Many of them. In broad daylight, I caught around 10 adults on the mattress, under the bedding, on her pillow. The wood frame has holes and screws, and I found around 6-7 ‘nests’. In crevices, a few more. In smaller holes, some adults are taking their beauty sleep comfortably. It was unbelievable. I cannot believe my 7 year old daughter has been feeding a colony for probably months!
    Since I couldn’t kill them all, I taped over all the holes to keep them there while my husband and I think this over, decide on an action plan. The next day though, I found him carrying the bed pieces out of the house without consulting with me. I was upset because it was a guarantee that other bugs in the crevices which I couldn’t tape up have just been shaken off and dispersed on the way down the stairs. Moving on, in the next days, I bagged all her stuffed animals, toys, books, clothes. I moved her dresser, bookshelf, and dollhouse to inspect the back and bottoms. No signs on the furniture. I found two strays (one adult, one a nymph) crawling on a bag and a linen that was on the floor when this event began.
    We bought encasement the following weekend. Moved her out of the room. Vacuumed, applied DE, vacuumed again. She is now sleeping in her little brother’s room across from her. That same weekend, that little brother showed me bug bites. Argh. I know those are from bedbugs. They are very red, in a row, and itchy. It went on every night. I lifted up his boxspring, and yup, a small cluster, consisting of an adult, a young, two exoskeleton, and an egg. Taped them up. Knowing that there are two exoskeletons could mean that there is another lurking around that I didn’t see. Next day, husband lifted up the spring, found two (adult and a nymph). Today, I lifted the box spring, found two. An adult and a young (not nymph anymore). They are well-fed. That little boy was feasted on for the past 5 days. My thoughts were: 1. These could be escapees from sister’s room. OR 2. They have been there before my discovery because of the babies, remembering that it takes 10 days for an egg to hatch, etc etc.
    Now on the 3rd bedroom, of their oldest brother, today, same bed frame as his sister’s, I looked in the holes and screws. I looked because there were black dots on the wood. Feces! True enough, I found adults hiding in the holes and screws. Maybe 8-10 in all surrounding the bed. No eggs though.
    This is beginning to be a task that I nor my husband can handle. All these transpired in a period of 10 days. To give you a little background, this is a rental home. An old farm house. Nobody lived here for some months before we moved in. We have been living here exactly a year from this writing. The carpets upstairs are old, shabby, and mismatched. The walls, baseboards, and flooring are very old.
    But I just have a few questions that I hope somebody can answer:
    1. In my daughter’s room, with that kind of number, how long could they possibly have been living there? There are various stages on her bed frame and there are many.
    2. In the number that we found, could these bugs be living in this house before we moved in (and finally revived with fresh blood meal through my daughter?)
    3. Should we get a professional PCO? Should we tell the owner of the house now? We were at first hoping to do this ourselves because we plan to move out in the Fall and get this under control before we leave and get the PCO come in when there are no people and household clutter in the way of the treatment.

I need a boost here. I am trying to approach this in an objective manner, so we don’t make many mistakes. One thing that is making this very challenging is that we have many young kids! The transfer to/from each room is hard to keep track! Please help this mom! Thanks in advance!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 14:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I would also inspect your bed and any couches or recliners in the living room. Don't focus too much on the numbers as an indicator, you may have missed just as many harboring somewhere else on the bed frame and that would change the length of time that they have been present. It's taken me a few years of work with bed bugs to even formulate an estimated time line when I deal with an infestation.

Tell your landlord, it's best he know of any issues with his property.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. bbandkids

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 15:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your input!

The thought of doing all the checking in everything in this house makes me want to cry.
    I am afraid of what I'll find, and I will be a wreck at the end of the day, trying to stop the kids from moving from one couch to the next all day long! The transfer risk is so high that it appears that this will be an endless struggle. Very upsetting!

On the upside, at least these bedbugs don't get us sick!

4. UK1306

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 16:03:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bbandkids I would get a pco in and let them check everywhere for you. I freaked myself out when I found them in my bed but finding a pco I trusted helped me no end. I know it can feel hopeless but you can and will get through it

5. Pattycake

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 17:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Vacuum vacuum vacuum and check into getting some Cimexa. It works better than DE. It sounds like even though there may not be many, they have been spread to all rooms. I feel your best bet is to inform your LL and have him hire and pay for a PCO. I would think it close to impossible to eridicate yourself, but please read the sticky notes to keep from doing the wrong things.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,788 posts in 45,872 topics over 139 months by 20,200 of 21,005 members. Latest: Bed-Bug-Beyond, Greg7707, Krogerss