(3 posts)
  1. bedbugcity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 0:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I was treated for bed bugs back in October. Recently, I have been feeling a little itchy. Upon inspection of my bed, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. Tonight, while laying on my couch, I looked down and saw a tiny bug crawling on my arm. I captured it and snapped some photos for you to review.

It does not look like the bed bug I caught in the fall, which was an adult, but I have also been comparing it to pictures of bugs that are commonly mistaken for bed bugs and nothing seems to be a perfect match. Could this be an adolecent bed bug or something entirely different? The straight horizontal lines across this insect's back alerted me to bed bugs, but the overall color is throwing me off. If it is not a bed bug, the closest bug I could find in comparison would be a carpet beetle, but the lines on carpet beetle's backs seem to be an irregular pattern, where the lines on the captured bug seem to be straight.

If someone could please review the photos below and give an expert opinion, it would be greatly appreciated and help me to sleep easy at night.

Thanks in advance!

bb_2 by L R, on Flickr

bb_3 by L R, on Flickr

bb_1 by L R, on Flickr

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 1:43:47
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a beetle, NOT a bed bug !

pjb

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 6:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Could this be an adolecent bed bug or something entirely different? The straight horizontal lines across this insect's back alerted me to bed bugs, but the overall color is throwing me off. If it is not a bed bug, the closest bug I could find in comparison would be a carpet beetle, but the lines on carpet beetle's backs seem to be an irregular pattern, where the lines on the captured bug seem to be straight.
    A dermestid beetle. One of the non-black carpet beetle species, something like a species of Anthrenus. The problem with the horizontal lines on the bed bug is that these are abdominal segments and not just horizontal lines of color. I don't think people understand this. The pattern on the beetle has nothing to do with bed bug abdominal patterns. There are many species of carpet beetles and a black carpet beetle (a species of Attagenus), for instance, is black and you don't see any horizontal markings. Since there is a right and left elytron (wing cover), you will see a faint vertical line since this is where the right and left covers meet.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,417 posts in 46,320 topics over 141 months by 20,415 of 21,254 members. Latest: spokallus, nu2bedbugs87, ndjur