BB Fogger

(5 posts)
  1. Joannobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 11:19:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I was told that by using a Fogger it won't do the job and possibly make things worse.
    They did not explain how it would make things worse.
    Anyone out there that can?
    It would be greatly appreciated.
    Tks!

2. bugfreebed

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 12:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Long story short the active pesticides in foggers most BB have a resistance to so it will only aggravate them and cause them to spread and hide more .

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 13:38:32
    #

Login to Send PM

AFAIK, the fogs do not penetrate deeply enough into crevices where BB harbor and may drive BB deeper and to your neighbors (or to you).

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 14:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can confirm thatt he reason why foggers do not work has more to do with physics than the active ingredients. Basically the foggers produce a gas of insecticides which in an ideal world would evenly diffuse until to deliver a lethal dose of active ingredient to the bed bugs. The problem however lies in where bed bugs hide, often deep within cracks and crevices where the gas does not penetrate.

This is due mainly to some complex physics / chemistry combining Brownian motion (the diffusing of atoms of gases) and a principle called the "edge effect" where gas exchange does not work too well in "cul de sac's" or one side open tubes. As the gas atoms attempts to randomly circulate and enter the area they meet resistance for the gas atoms already there which doe not let they pass.

We have noted a significant tolerance to the active ingredients as well and the use of foggers has been noted to spread bed bugs out of one area and into adjoining rooms.

In short don't use them. Link to the main source paper below:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef643.asp

Sadly you will see that the paper was written in 1999 and it's information is not as widely known as it should be. I have personally sent copies to all fogger sellers in the UK that we are aware of and yet they still sell the product. But hey ho that's the thing about ethics its a personal choice.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 15:45:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this true even for the misting spray "Vampyre"? Ingredients are Pyrethrins and Pyperonyl butoxide. My PCO insisted that this is not the same as a fogger, that it's good in combination with the crack and crevice treatments, etc. Is that true?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie