Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

BB fecal? Thanks

(6 posts)
  1. moenine9

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 25 2019 18:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this along the baseboard. The first two images are before wiping it with saliva. Has the round felt marker look however the last two are after smearing? To me the smearing is off which makes me think it’s not bb fecal. Would like expert opinion. Thank you for your time.

https://ibb.co/DDBsGQS
    https://ibb.co/smv3WPP
    https://ibb.co/PFYdZYH
    https://ibb.co/DwY06SX

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 25 2019 18:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First visual impression was fly, the smear ruled that out and I am inclined to say it’s a liquid stain like coffee rather than a sugary soft drink.

Either way correct deduction and clear documentation of the steps you took to get there.

If it’s outside of the “hot zone” of 3 foot from the head end of the bed it’s automatically low probability as a single drop.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. moenine9

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 25 2019 18:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. It was within a three foot radius of the head of the bed. As I’m trying to learn to hone in on my fecal signs skills, may I ask- when I smeared it, the spot left a minimal smear on the baseboard. In the case of bedbugs, would it dissolve like that? Or in other words just wipe away as the picture showed. I imagine there would be a smudge and not a very light smear. Also, is that spot too flat to be fecal. I noticed in closely looking st the photos on the site that although the marking was elevated some, it wasn’t a round plump like some of the bedbug fecal images shown on the site. Should I expect it to be more plump in appearance? Hope that makes sense. Thank you for your time. Finally, could you describe the texture of a smear to look for?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 25 2019 19:09:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its a shame you don't use FlickR so i could embed the image into this one post but I will take this step by step:

The classic faecal smear on a porous surface is this:

wp0_wp2f0669a6 by David Cain, on Flickr

The saliva effectively takes the top layers and redissolves them but because its not too excess it looks akin to a comets tail. There is material left at the site where the stain dried and the emulsion is smeared int he direction of movement.

The concept of stain direction is a useful skill to have as so many of the "friction stains" are obvious based on repeat directionality.

Now a non-porous surface is different and faecal build up when wetted looks more like this:

roomcornercloseweb by David Cain, on Flickr

With your images there is a clear sheering tot he stain where an arc of the circle is removed leaving a faint under stain into the under layer of the gloss. As you can see from the example above and the spidery legs on the edges of the wetted faecal the diffusion pattern at a fine detail level is not correct.

It therefore falls into the camp of not correct but not obvious as to what it actually is.

Hopefully this helps you look through the fine detail.

I may repeat an old post subject on a similar subject.

David

5. moenine9

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 25 2019 19:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

6. moenine9

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 25 2019 19:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Its interesting how in the nonporous surface the stains look more reddish/brown. Now the second photo is just simply from spraying the fecal that gives it the spidery edges?? doesn't look like a smear. just blotted, correct?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,659 posts in 50,009 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop