BB Do-It-Yourselfers

(81 posts)
  1. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 18:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I may or may not be facing a problem with BB's Only time and the result of my "Climb-ups" (when they get here) will tell.

What I want to know is how some of you who "did it yourself" did it? What products did you use and what process did you go through to be successful?

I know I should consult a professional, but due to circumstances beyond my control...that may not be possible. If I do have them...it is only a small infestation as I live in a single family home and just started seeing bites.

Please share your experience and what worked for you.

S

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 19:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd be very careful about who you listen to regarding this issue. Some "do-it-yourselfers" have proposed items which have potential health dangers (DE in piles around the bed, spraying bacteria all around, propane heaters). So, please be careful.

You may want to PM Paul Bello or read his posts. He has a lot of advice for do-it-yourselfs. His book was about $50.00, but I found it helpful. Again, he has given advice on this site if you look under his postings, which you can do under his profile.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 23:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I would echo getting suggestions from a pro here (and as TAOT said, P Bello often offers to make such suggestions to DIYers and has written a lot here in prior posts).

There are some DIY success stories, many involving steam, but once you have a plan, at least get some pro input. There are, as TAOT said, also a lot of potentially hazardous or potentially ineffective things described here and you don't want to go down those roads.

Also, I don't know if you're renting, but if you are, you may be entitled to professional treatment paid for by a landlord (that's usually a good thing), and conversely, you may be legally obliged to report this to them, even if you'd rather not.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 27 2013 5:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a perfect storm of nightmares playing out. I unemployed and on welfare. I live in an apartment building and my superintendent insists on hiring flakes who do not follow up. On top of ALL of that I live with my pack rat mother in law so these things have literally a thousand and one places to hide. I don't know what to do, I would just kill myself but I have a wife and baby the little monsters are eating too, not to mention the sloppy in law. I was thinking I might wait until winter and fill the house with dry ice to freeze them out. I don't know what to do please help
    me!

5. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 27 2013 10:16:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow...you are in a difficult situation. I am not an expert, but I have read one of the main things you have to do is get rid of the clutter and unnecessary belongings you do not need. As you know, they just supply more places for the little buggers to hide.

With that being said, you are in tough spot. Getting your M-I-L to unload may be impossible. (There are many psychological reasons why people hoard and become pack-rats.) If she is unable or unwilling to assist in this effort, you just might have to look at taking your little family and moving to a place of your own. You may have to do this to protect you little baby from being feasted on. Or at the very least, if you stay...until you get a handle on the problem....look into ways to keep them from getting into her bed. There are several good ways to deter BB's from reaching her. Look in the FAQ's for more info on this.

Another thought.... if you can't move... would be to have your own room and BB proof it as well as you can and then be very diligent about not letting them take up residence there. You will have a difficult time with them since they are in the rest of the residence. But by keeping it clean and clutter free and using deterrents, you can do things to encourage them not to want to be in your room.
    However, you may never be able to be completely BB free unless your M-I-L cooperates.

Just my thoughts, remember I'm not an expert and I'm sure some of the great old-timers we have here will probably chime in with some better suggestions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

S

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 27 2013 11:02:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm . . .

I can help with bed bug advice but am not so good at MIL advice nor head transplants.

Did you ever see that movie: "Throw Moma From the Train" ?

Just sayin . . .

As taot states, if you click on my profile you can see all my posts. Click through and you can find much of the "hot to" type stuff.

Hope this helps, good luck ! paul b.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 27 2013 14:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends,

If you're in an apartment, and the local laws say landlords must hire a professional to get rid of pests (or bed bugs specifically), then you are probably better off trying to get this enforced than trying to do it yourself.

Why?

(a) There are often more infested units (sending bed bugs your way) and if this is so, no amount of treatment on your part will stop the problem, though you might get some control.
    (b) You will never know if other units have a problem as long as you address the problem yourself.
    (c) If you're entitled to professional treatment, it is likely to make the problem go away more quickly and fully than doing it yourself.

The key here is getting the local laws enforced. Assuming you've already notified the landlord and they have not started to address the problem, as sounds to be the case here:

Step one: verify the local laws re: treatment for bed bugs in a rental apartment.

Step two: find out who enforces these laws. In many cities/counties, you can call either the health dept. or the housing dept. (it's usually one or the other) to get an inspector to verify your problem, possibly inspect other units, and enforce rules/laws which apply locally about treatment.

I can try and help you figure out the answers to those questions if you say where you are and confirm you're renting an apartment in a building. (You can private message this info. to me if you don't want to post it.)

8. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 1:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Bakersfield, CA, and I rent. And I apologize for the dramatics I wote that at 4 in the morning. (you can guess why) I am not suicidal but I have lost hope. I own about 2 and a half weeks worth of clothes and the rest of the clutter belongs to my wife and her mother, as I said, and I cannot convince anyone to part with anything. I routinely submerge my child's crib in a tub of bleach water but I cannot afford any real treatment of my own. Exceptt maybe the dry ice. Any info is greatly appreciated.

9. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 9:04:06
    #

Login to Send PM

As "Nobugsonme" said: "If you're in an apartment, and the local laws say landlords must hire a professional to get rid of pests (or bed bugs specifically), then you are probably better off trying to get this enforced than trying to do it yourself."

I don't know what the laws are in Cali, but the extermination may be the responsibility of your landlord. Perhaps, if you get an exterminator in there and he has a good talk with you wife and M-I-L, they may come around and agree to part with some stuff.

As for your child's crib...there are several ways you can stop the bugs from getting to her. I just paid 14.99 (w/free shipping) for a 4 pc. set of "Climb-ups" that I am using under my beds legs. That is not very expensive for peace of mind. There are also several free ways to get her bed isolated...look in the FAQ's. As for soaking it in bleach....I'm not to knowledgeable about that. But I do know that alcohol sprayed on the bed and in the cracks will kill any BB it touches. I would do that outside in the fresh air though. and don't bring it back in until you know the alcohol has evaporated. And be careful...alcohol is flammable. And then get some encasements for the mattress....shouldn't be too expensive for a crib size I would think. You can make your own "climb-ups" out of the old plastic bottles and plastic dishes you probably have at home. I have seen instructions posted here by some the the members and you can also "google" it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 12:05:59
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 10 hours ago  » 
    I live in Bakersfield, CA, and I rent.

First, it's always best to make sure you've communicated with the landlord in writing about the problem; mail a certified letter, then you have proof.

That said, if you have notified the landlord and they're not doing anything, I would contact the local agency that does inspections on rental housing.

According to this story in the local news, in Bakersfield, Kern County Code Compliance responds to tenants' complaints about bed bugs:

Kern County Code Compliance handles complaints about bed bugs in apartments, and Environmental Health Chief Donna Fenton said that department is also getting "two to three calls a month."

Kern County Code Compliance website

Public Services Building
    2700 "M" Street., Suite 570
    Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370
    Phone: (661) 862-8603; 1-800-552-5376, Option 7
    Monday - Friday 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M

They will likely send an inspector out to verify the problem. I take it you have obvious visual evidence of bed bugs?

Dry ice is sometimes used in do it yourself bed bug monitors, but that's just for detection. Dry ice is not a treatment method and you really are better off getting professionals in. If your landlord is supposed to do this, I suspect it really is your best bet to try and get that enforced.

Alcohol will only kill bed bugs you spray directly and is highly flammable. I would not bother unless you see a bed bug. Keep any samples for the inspectors. It's best not to go crazy clearing away all your evidence before they come in.

11. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 13:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme....I thought alcohol would kill all stages of the bedbug. And I only said that because I am concerned about the baby getting bitten. I just want them to get that crib BB free and isolated so as to save that infant from bites. Shhhh I'm a Grandma...I'm allowed to be like that. Comes with the territory!! lol

That being said.....your info was great!!! This is such an awesome resource for people who feel there is no where to turn about this problem. You all take the time to listen and advise with such valuable information. Thank You

S

12. IWannaStopItching

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 21:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 19 hours ago  » 
    I live in Bakersfield, CA, and I rent. And I apologize for the dramatics I wote that at 4 in the morning. (you can guess why) I am not suicidal but I have lost hope. I own about 2 and a half weeks worth of clothes and the rest of the clutter belongs to my wife and her mother, as I said, and I cannot convince anyone to part with anything. I routinely submerge my child's crib in a tub of bleach water but I cannot afford any real treatment of my own. Exceptt maybe the dry ice. Any info is greatly appreciated.

If you truly have no landlord recourse, a friend of mine got rid of an infestation with DE. if you can get rid of the clutter and really dust it might be a big help. A bag is about $10 +/-.

It isn't a by itself thing but my friend used DE and just washing and sealing and is BB free.

13. MateBait

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 21:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Itneverends, if you have a swing for your baby have him/her sleep in there! Provided its not an older baby....I've had my 11month old daughter in her swing since I discovered my infestation and she is bite free ever since. Make sure baby's blankets don't touch the floor and the swing is away from clutter. For some reason they either can't find her or climb the swing to get her. It's a small bit of relief during an otherwise chaotic time in my own life.

If YOU are the lessee on your home I would kick your mother in law out. She is only exacerbating your infestation. My home isn't even cluttered, never is, except toys during the day. I'm an obsessive cleaner and feel like I've failed in that but upon reading about these bugs I learned cleanliness means nothing. It's clutter. I know how helpless you feel as I'm right there with you, but try the swing for your baby. I hope that small bit of advice at least helps with that. good luck

14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 21:27:20
    #

Login to Send PM

This is s question for experts but would climpups help with swing?

15. MateBait

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:04:03
    #

Login to Send PM

What are climb ups?

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BBNewbie - 9 hours ago  » 
    Nobugsonme....I thought alcohol would kill all stages of the bedbug.

Yes, but only if sprayed directly on the bug. So if you don't see one, it isn't worth the bother.

As I said,

Alcohol will only kill bed bugs you spray directly and is highly flammable. I would not bother unless you see a bed bug.

Thanks for your kind words about the site! Glad we could be here to help.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

MateBait - 24 minutes ago  » 
    What are climb ups?

ClimbUps are a brand of interceptor monitors.

See our FAQ on bed bug monitors, which talks about this and other types.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:31:22
    #

Login to Send PM

IWannaStopItching - 1 hour ago  » 

If you truly have no landlord recourse, a friend of mine got rid of an infestation with DE. if you can get rid of the clutter and really dust it might be a big help. A bag is about $10 +/-.
    It isn't a by itself thing but my friend used DE and just washing and sealing and is BB free.

As already stated, the poster should have options for getting the local laws enforced.

DE can be a useful tool but is not great as a sole treatment method, and I don't think anyone should be self-treating with just DE, especially if they're entitled to have a treatment done for them.

19. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Matebait and Iwanna....please consult your childs pediatrician about having him/hersleep in a baby swing all night, every night. Babies need to be able stretch, roll, move around and just be free to move. Those swings were never meant to substitute for a crib.

If you can get the crib BB free and then use isolation techniques (read the faq's) you can protect your child while going through the steps to get rid of the problem in the rest of the residence.

I know your trying to do what you think is right. Please read the faq's......there is ton of info about fighting bb's and do's and don'ts.

S

20. MateBait

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 28 2013 22:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

BBNewbie, I understand that. I've been bothered by it since she's been in the swing but I can't afford a pack of those ClimbUps.

They did inspire an idea though. What if I were to use some very sticky tape and place it sticky side up under each leg of their beds? If any did happen upon it they would be stuck right?

21. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 0:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

You are all so helpful, especially nobugsonme. Thank you all for your help, and I will mail a letter today

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 0:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends,

Good luck and keep us posted.

23. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 2:35:06
    #

Login to Send PM

My neighbors both next door and below me have them too. Treating just my apartment is pointless, now the whole building must be tented and #!&$@ bombed, and I guarantee my landlord isn't going to spring for any motel rooms while THAT goes on. I am typing up a letter and I will have the other affected tenants sign it, then send it by mail.

24. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 3:02:54
    #

Login to Send PM

This Diatomaceous earth stuff looks super promising. What's to keep me from buying 50 lbs of it and just going nuts? I'll cover my carpet in it and just vacuum it up, lift my box spring and cover the floor under and around my bed, and watch them die? I have a cover O'my mattress but can't afford one for the box spring. Anyone have any used ones for a superking?

25. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 8:31:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear never,

In response to your question/comment below:

"This Diatomaceous earth stuff looks super promising. What's to keep me from buying 50 lbs of it and just going nuts?"

> Promising and highly effective are two different things. DE works but it is a slow killer.

> Going nuts? Don't know, I don't do crazy, nutzy or whatever . . .

> As a living breathing mammal with a respiratory system include sinus, bronchea, lungs and all, you may want to read up on DE a bit prior to liberal application within your home in anticipation of miraculous bed bug control.

Whatever you decide to do, be careful and ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS !

pjb

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 12:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 9 hours ago  » 
    My neighbors both next door and below me have them too. Treating just my apartment is pointless, now the whole building must be tented and #!&$@ bombed, and I guarantee my landlord isn't going to spring for any motel rooms while THAT goes on. I am typing up a letter and I will have the other affected tenants sign it, then send it by mail.

Hi itneverends,

Just because two attached neighbors have bed bugs along with you does NOT mean that there aren't a wide variety of methods that will work. If all affected units are detected, traditional methods will work.

Remember you and your neighbors can also call the city agency to get this sped along.

itneverends - 9 hours ago  » 
    This Diatomaceous earth stuff looks super promising. What's to keep me from buying 50 lbs of it and just going nuts? I'll cover my carpet in it and just vacuum it up, lift my box spring and cover the floor under and around my bed, and watch them die? I have a cover O'my mattress but can't afford one for the box spring. Anyone have any used ones for a superking?

As I noted above, DE can be a useful tool but it's not a silver bullet (we have a FAQ on DE). You and the attached neighbors need treatment, and it's best to get a professional in as seems to be your entitlement. Knowledgeable pros will use multiple treatment methods which may include steam, sprays and dusts. Note also that self-treating with DE is usually done incorrectly (from what people tell us-- and your description of your plan above fits the profile) and you don't want to create a situation that needs to be cleaned up before your pro can work.

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 14:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul's latest response hit the spam filter, and has now been restored, but it's not the latest post, so you may have missed it. Please click here or scroll up to read it.

28. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 15:04:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Great, now I'm reduced to spam ! : (

29. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 15:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear BBRF Folks,

OK, whether I'm spam or not, below is what I posted on the "professionals only" bed bug discussion for your review and consideration. The topic of discussion for this thread is: "Should Homeowner's Do Bed Bug Treatments Themselves". Please note that for some pcos this is a touchy subject however, whether on the pro or public forum, my intent is to remain consistent in my statements.

Dear Gents, (I think this has been addressed previously in other threads.)

My estimate is that about 8 of 10 of the people who contact me about bed bugs from across the country cannot afford professional services and never will be able to do so. of these, over half break down and are crying on the phone due to the bed bug situation that they are experiencing.

Are bed bugs hard work? Yes.
    Is it "rocket science"? No.
    Are lay persons experienced at pest control or bed bug work? No.
    Can folks get rid of bed bugs themselves if coached and counciled how to do so? Yes.

Fortunately, there is plenty of bug elimination work for the industry that we don't need to worry about the DIYers affecting the industry in a significant way.

Additionally, think about this last comment/question and be honest with yourself:
    Suppose a stranger or a close friend called you for help with their bed bugs but had limited resources or were located a great distance from you. Given your experience, knowledge, guidance and advice combined their willingness to perform the necessary work; do you think you could successfully guide them through dealing with their bed bug situation?

Have a great day ! paul b.

30. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 15:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of equipment would be required for bed bug elimination strategy?

Would the purchase of pesticides over the internet be required?

31. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 16:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear taot,

BB elimination involves multiple methodologies and techniques. As there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, there are many ways to render a location bed bug free and various competent pros doing things "their own way" may include certain nuances and personal preferences.

However, it is likely that all competent pros would agree on the fundamentals.

In response to your questions above:

Q: What kind of equipment would be required for bed bug elimination strategy?

R: The kind that is useful. My recommendations and preferences include, without naming name brands here, all are "commercial duty" type units: HEPA vacuum, steamer, compressed air sprayer, various hand tools, heat units, ulv unit.

Q: Would the purchase of pesticides over the internet be required?

R: Please note that, in the hands of a competent bed bug professional, everything needed to eliminate bed bugs from your home may be found in a store such as Lowes, Home Depot or similar. Now, while all the equipment, tools and products may not be as ideal as we "spoiled pros" are used to, the stuff that would be available would be adequate to get the job done because a competent bed bug professional would know what to do and how to do it. In my view it is much more important knowing what to do than what you're doing it with.

Of course, many of the online outlets sell the pro level stuff too.

Hope this helps, please advise if any additional questions or concerns ! paul b.

32. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 30 2013 23:37:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I hesitate to take this thread further off topic, but this is an opening for a an important discussion, I think.

(Bbnewbie, I hope you're doing well and will follow up in this thread or another, as you prefer.)

Paul said,

My estimate is that about 8 of 10 of the people who contact me about bed bugs from across the country cannot afford professional services and never will be able to do so. of these, over half break down and are crying on the phone due to the bed bug situation that they are experiencing.

Paul, it's admirable that you can give DIY advice to those people who need it.

However, in the case of itneverends above, (1) the poster lives in a location where it appears landlords are responsible for hiring a professional to eliminate the problem, and (2) since the poster is in an apartment, self-treating just the one unit (where other units are apparently infested) is unlikely to work, and (3) there are official channels for getting an inspector in to enforce the tenant's rights to professional assistance.

DIY is not the best approach in many cases.

I mention this to you here because there have been other similar discussions here recently, where you seem to be encouraging renters to self-treat rather than pushing to get the professional service they're so often entitled to. And in a multi-unit building, with (always the potential for) multiple infestations, DIY is not likely to be successful.

33. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 7:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear NBs,

OK, fair enough, my response to your comments above.

1. My comments are made in consideration of what happens in the cases across many states.

2. While the LL may be responsible for treatment, there are often delays in this actually occurring. In the meanwhile, we need to be considerate of what happens to the resident in their own apartment. And, what happens is that the resident and their family members continue to get bitten. In my view this is kinda-sorta similar to "Nero fiddles as Rome burns thing".

3. Practically speaking, the resident is now faced with making choices of suitable actions to implement which may include: a) Contact the LL for bed bug control services, b) Contact the local enforcement agency be it the Dept of Health, Consumer Affairs, Housing, etc. to force the LL to take suitable action, c) Move, d) Hire their own pest control pro if they can afford it, e) Self treat to provide some level of relief, f) Seek legal remedies, g) Other

4. Under ideal circumstances "item a" above would occur in a timely and suitable fashion and all would be well. However, this actually occurring seems to be the exception and not the norm and if this was the case, then these folks would not be needing to participate on this BBR Forum and the growing bed bug problem would be of little concern.

5. However, whether successfully pursuing "items a & b" above or not, what typically occurs is time drags on. As time marches on each night these residents are subject to more and more bites and a growing bed bug problem. As such, in reality the pursuit of "items a & b" are tantamount to "doing nothing" opposite the bed bug problem in one's own apartment. This is so because calling the LL or HD to register a complaint is not going to save me from being bitten tonight, never has, never will.

6. "Blanket Statements." Previously I've voiced concern about overly broad blanket statements. Herein above you stated this:

"DIY is not the best approach in many cases.

I mention this to you here because there have been other similar discussions here recently, where you seem to be encouraging renters to self-treat rather than pushing to get the professional service they're so often entitled to. And in a multi-unit building, with (always the potential for) multiple infestations, DIY is not likely to be successful."

While this may seem PC to state on this Forum it is incorrect to apply across many of these situations for the following reasons:

A) Time delays mentioned above unnecessarily subject innocent bed bug victims to continued bite episodes.

B) When these folks are faced with a do it myself or get no bed bug remediation services.

C) When the LL has no intention of providing suitable services.

D) Regarding the last point: Can a person treat their own single unit in an infested building resulting in an acceptable level of control? Yes they can. Here's why:

1. Doing nothing changes nothing.
    2. Doing something can provide a level of relief if not complete cessation of bites.
    3. Your comment is partially correct in that this will NOT be a long term fix for the entire building and there is always the risk of re-introduction within the unit in question.
    4. It is not an easy task but it is not rocket science and there are efficacious methodologies that could be implemented as well.
    5. And, finally, think of it this way: Suppose we went "poof" and suddenly folks such as myself, Lou, DC, KQ, DS, Winston, Cilectco, Effici each found ourselves living in an apartment in an infested building. Do you think for one second that none of us would spend one twenty four hour period in our new apartment, knowing full well that we would be bitten that night, without taking any suitable control actions in our own apartment because "it was the wrong thing to do" ?
    6. NOTE that I am not and never have been advocating taking self control actions without proper guidance for anyone under any circumstances !

My intention is to provide credible and accurate information for the sole purpose of assisting bed bug victims to remedy their current bed bug problems.

Hope this helps, have a great bug free day ! paul b.

34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 11:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 3 hours ago  » 
    1. My comments are made in consideration of what happens in the cases across many states.

That's part of my concern. When we're having a conversation with one person, we can ask where they are and be aware of what laws and situations apply there. We don't have to make generalizations (or as you've referred to them, "blanket statements").

2. While the LL may be responsible for treatment, there are often delays in this actually occurring. In the meanwhile, we need to be considerate of what happens to the resident in their own apartment. And, what happens is that the resident and their family members continue to get bitten. In my view this is kinda-sorta similar to "Nero fiddles as Rome burns thing".

Yes, but I have noted you several times in the last few days encouraging renters to self-treat without any reference to the other steps you rightly note should occur, and without noting the downside of self-treatment when neighbors also have bed bugs.

People who don't know much about bed bugs may not understand that self-treating in a building with multiple infested units won't solve their problem. Telling people to follow label instructions and use pesticides properly can lead newbites straight to the Hot Shot Bed Bug and Flea Fogger (Hey! It's labeled for bed bugs, right? And I followed the directions exactly!)

3. Practically speaking, the resident is now faced with making choices of suitable actions to implement which may include: a) Contact the LL for bed bug control services, b) Contact the local enforcement agency be it the Dept of Health, Consumer Affairs, Housing, etc. to force the LL to take suitable action, c) Move, d) Hire their own pest control pro if they can afford it, e) Self treat to provide some level of relief, f) Seek legal remedies, g) Other
    4. Under ideal circumstances "item a" above would occur in a timely and suitable fashion and all would be well. However, this actually occurring seems to be the exception and not the norm and if this was the case, then these folks would not be needing to participate on this BBR Forum and the growing bed bug problem would be of little concern.

I am not suggesting people solely rely on step a, and have never done so. However, I'm also not just giving them ONE single option (self-treatment) as you seem to be in many cases.

By the way, not sure what the BBR Forum is but maybe we can call you PBL?

5. However, whether successfully pursuing "items a & b" above or not, what typically occurs is time drags on. As time marches on each night these residents are subject to more and more bites and a growing bed bug problem. As such, in reality the pursuit of "items a & b" are tantamount to "doing nothing" opposite the bed bug problem in one's own apartment. This is so because calling the LL or HD to register a complaint is not going to save me from being bitten tonight, never has, never will.

I've been running the site long enough to see hundreds or even thousands of descriptions of people doing bad things with pesticides, especially DE. I think you've been here long enough to see such descriptions too, which are not isolated cases but mentioned weekly or even daily. Things which can be harmful to people and don't even solve the problem, and which may need clean up in many cases, before PCOs do their work.

We can make a blanket disclaimer about "following label instructions" or "seeking professional advice" all we like, but I am just telling you what people report, if you listen. Sometimes a little information is more dangerous than a lot.

6. "Blanket Statements." Previously I've voiced concern about overly broad blanket statements. Herein above you stated this:
    "DIY is not the best approach in many cases.
    I mention this to you here because there have been other similar discussions here recently, where you seem to be encouraging renters to self-treat rather than pushing to get the professional service they're so often entitled to. And in a multi-unit building, with (always the potential for) multiple infestations, DIY is not likely to be successful."

While this may seem PC to state on this Forum it is incorrect to apply across many of these situations for the following reasons:

Saying something is true in "many cases" and giving specific examples of same does not seem like a "blanket statement" to me.

But "PC"? Politically correct? Come on, Paul. My suggesting people do not do DIY treatment, if they have other options including professional treatment, and recourse for enforcing their rights to same, may be many things but it is not "politically correct"-- a term I note which is usually used to dismiss others' opinions as not worthwhile.

Be clear that my concerns are of a most practical nature. We know people misapply and overapply pesticides all the time. We hear from PCOs who have to treat after residents do all kinds of crazy stuff. "Self-treatment" is not necessarily an evil, but it is not necessarily good either.

Please note it appears to me that you, Paul, are making "blanket statements" when-- almost anytime someone says they're renting and have bed bugs, you suggest DIY treatment, whether they are getting professional treatment, had their first treatment that day, or whether they haven't even notified the landlord.

And, finally, think of it this way: Suppose we went "poof" and suddenly folks such as myself, Lou, DC, KQ, DS, Winston, Cilectco, Effici each found ourselves living in an apartment in an infested building. Do you think for one second that none of us would spend one twenty four hour period in our new apartment, knowing full well that we would be bitten that night, without taking any suitable control actions in our own apartment because "it was the wrong thing to do" ?

That's a really silly analogy, Paul.

You know full well that I am not talking about licensed pest management professionals and entomologists treating their own bed bugs. I'm not even talking about experienced forum users like Cilecto who've been reading about bed bug treatment for 5 years. I'm talking about people with zero experience of pesticides who in many cases haven't slept for days, are frantic, and not thinking straight. If you've been reading the forums, you will have seen many of these.

I don't expect we will come around to one another's viewpoints, and I don't have much more to say on this, but please understand, with all due respect for your background and knowledge, Paul, there are other valid viewpoints on this than your own.

I have received messages from several forum users (not professionals) who share my concerns about tenants being encouraged to self-treat, even when other options have not been fully explored and without any caveats about how self-treating in such circumstances can backfire even if done correctly.

You are undoubtedly an expert on bed bugs and pesticides, but the other experts here don't always agree with you on encouraging self-treatment, and it's my sense this is out of a concern for the kinds of issues I mention above.

35. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 11:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think we can all agree that success in treating bedbugs is often a result of the experience of the person doing the work and the methods they are using.

For example:

An experienced professional with a poor product will get poor results.

An experienced professional with the right tools will be good results.

The reality is when it comes to self treating very few people start of with experience of bedbugs and the knowledge necessary to resolve the problem themselves. This can be due to a lack of knowledge of pest management processes, a lack of access to the right tools or having only studied incorrect web based resources.

Given this lack of experience within the wider population it is always most sensible to advise people to seek the help of someone with more experience where possible so that you can benefit from their knowledge and experience. In most cases where the property is not owned by the occupier the landlord is deemed to be legally responsible for bedbugs and as such they will arrange for that help and experience to be brought in.

In such settings self-treatment can ultimately do more harm than good and having resolved issues int he past where people had been self treating for 5 years unsuccessfully I know first hand how bad someone can mess this one up, its not difficult, a fogger here a bomb there and before you know it they are out of control.

The forum tries to give the best advice possible and to make sure that people don't slip down this slope into a bedbug nightmare, as such self-treament is reserved as an option of last resort and should remain that way.

With enough time and resources people can resolve light infestations relatively easily but the reality is that it takes a certain foundation knowledge to work out what is in fact light and what is not.

I hope that this explains the reasons in a little more detail.

Regards,

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  36. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 12:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have studied the wiki on DE extensively, and read plenty of FAQS. I discovered two types: pool filter stuff and food grade. Food grade can be eaten by people, and you eat it every time you have bread or pasta as farmers toss it by the fistful into grain for pest control. As I understand it, you can rub food grade on you skin and have no negative reaction, because it hadn't been heat treated and dosed with other chemicals and whatnot like the pool filter stuff. Only caution I have seen with the food grade is the dust can make you COUGH a bit and might irritate asthmatics during application. Well poo! Health nut hippies are mixing spoon fulls into their Wheaties (there is no indication that this has any positive impact on your health, but it is evident that these nuts are not dead, and that is good enough for me) Why is everyone acting like it's nuclear fallout? It's #!@!# PLANKTON SHELLS! It is no more dangerous than flour, which has made me cough a few times, frankly, and that's that. Now I want to know if it will KILL THESE VAMPIRES IF I DUST MY HOUSE WITH IT!

And that, gentlemen, is what I intend to find out.

37. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 12:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi itneverends,

The information you are quoting is not supported on this site which has its own FAQ on DE which is kept accurate unlike the open source you have quoted.

Please read the DE FAQ before offering further advice.

David

38. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 12:25:19
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends,

Not sure which wiki you read but please read our DE FAQ carefully. It can be a useful tool but is often misapplied or overapplied, and this can lead to lung problems even in people who aren't asthmatic. If you learn how to use it properly, it can be done safely. But it's not a silver bullet.

39. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 13:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BBR F = bed bugger forum

Not sure what PBL means

OK, NBs your response is noted.

There are many concerns we share, believe it or not.

I'll endeavor to be more kind & clear going forward, thanks ! pjb

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 16:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 2 hours ago  » 
    BBR F = bed bugger forum
    Not sure what PBL means
    OK, NBs your response is noted.
    There are many concerns we share, believe it or not.
    I'll endeavor to be more kind & clear going forward, thanks ! pjb

Hi Paul,

That sounds good.

If BedBuggeR Forum = BBF, then Paul BeLlO= PBL.

My point was that it would probably confuse people if I called you PBL, just like it confuses other people when you call this BBRF. :-/

41. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 16:32:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe we need a "Paul Bello - English" dictionary thing, huh ?

: )

42. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 16:36:13
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Maybe we need a "Paul Bello - English" dictionary thing, huh ?
    : )

Yes, Paul, we definitely need a dictionary thing!

43. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 22:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

If I'm not mistaken paul never gave any specific instructions on what products to use, just that yes it's possible to DIY successfully. Of course if I lived in an apartment I would hound my Land Lord to foot the bill, but what if he claims they don't have bed bugs or drags his feet. I certainly wouldn't want to get bit for weeks to months without at least 'trying' to be proactive. I appreciate that ppl like Paul offer hope to ppl who are feeling hopeless.

I also wanted to comment on the DE. Yes it's wise to wear a mask, and they also suggest wearing a mask when using boric acid. However I have met ppl who have used food grade DE for years as a pest control and even on their pets, and never used a mask. One has been using it for 20+yrs with no ill effects. I've also seen YT videos of ppl who have shared it's effectiveness and not being harmed after using it just as long. Some studies say artificial sweeteners cause cancer, some studies say they don't. You can't really rely on one study,especially if not every one who injests artificial sweeteners gets cancer. Yes you can use common sense, and caution ppl. I don't think LIGHTLY dusting your bed with it is harmful(legs of the bed and creases of mattress) and many have made it seem like it's VERY harmful. Now, it's ineffective if you just dump it all over your floor b/c bb's are smart and will avoid it.

I just get the sense that when someone mentions something that works for them they get swarmed with the, ''please be quiet you don't know what you're talking about''. I've seen this happen when doing google searches and the comments and posts are recent to several yrs ago.

44. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 0:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Confirmed,

Why would you put DE on your bed when it's known to irritate skin and lungs?

On another note, please read my response to you in another thread, where you suggest people wanting DIY advice seek it on other websites.

I think you misunderstand both my position on DIY treatment which should be a last resort (which means, yes, if it is your only option, by all means do it), and my perspective on Paul offering DIY advice-- in fact, if you read the forums regularly, you'll see I suggest people in this situation ask Paul for DIY advice in my own posts here pretty much every day.

45. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 1:59:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugcouk, I wasn't offering advice, I was requesting it, consider rereading my post if there is any confusion. And I don't plan to "over apply" I plan to dust my carpet lightly but completely. I will also dust the door under my box spring and in every nook and cranny. Had I the funds to pay for a fourth spray (my manager requires I pay half) I certainly would, but if you read my previous posts you'd see that I cannot afford even a cover for my box spring. So my question, once again, is WILL DE KILL THE BUGS, and why is this the ONLY site that acts like it's toxic?

46. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 2:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi itneverends,

I answered your questions in my post above:

Nobugsonme - 13 hours ago  » 
    itneverends,
    Not sure which wiki you read but please read our DE FAQ carefully. It can be a useful tool but is often misapplied or overapplied, and this can lead to lung problems even in people who aren't asthmatic. If you learn how to use it properly, it can be done safely. But it's not a silver bullet.

The FAQ goes more into all this in detail with reference to outside sources.

47. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 3:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, here's the wiki that states DE is used in toothpastes: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

48. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 3:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is the article which further details the pesticidal applications: http://www.tele-management.ca/2013/07/home-pest-control-how-does-diatomaceous-earth-work/

49. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 4:14:50
    #

Login to Send PM

And here are the good folks who are going to sell me a 10 pound bag for 14 bucks: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

50. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 5:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear never,

DE does in fact kill bed bugs but it is a slow killer. It would not be amongst my top recommended products to use for a number of reasons but it is, I guess, "OK" to use if used PROPERLY !

AND THEREIN IS THE CATCH FOLKS ! ! !

Whatever material you decide to use, MUST be used properly.

"Lightly dusting your entire carpet" is NOT a proper use of this material for bed bug control ! ! !

Please note that by "NOT" I really, really mean, don't do that !

What you need to do, and I'll phrase this in a highly technical anc correct way such that everyone will understand and remember is this:

PUT THE BUG JUICE WHERE THE BUGS ARE !

Translation: Select an efficacious product and apply it where it will do the most good which is the bed bug harborages.

Don't expect you bed bugs to commit suicide by wallowing in the insecticide applied in the wrong places. That just won't happen.

Now, you can choose to listen to the advice of experienced pros or choose to "do it your way".

After all, you're the one that's being bitten.

Hope this helps, have a nice day and good luck ! paul b.

51. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 6:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

My plan was to work it in with a broom whilst wearing a surgical mask. I don't plan to inhale the stuff, and there shall be no random drifts of it lying carelessly about. I an getting no answers regarding precisely how long after exposure a specimen will croak. My wife is asthmatic, so test assured of there's some kind of cloud effect I will certainly rethink my strategy, but I am no fool, and certainly cannot afford another pointless spray. If I and my neighbors make it physically impossible to reach us without a trudge through razor sharp glass, will they eventually starve and die? I heard this silly story about them being so smart they'll crawl up the Warhol, onto the ceiling, and drop down in you. I will run a line of fly strip all the way around my wall at waist level if I must. I don't understand how that couldn't work, unless there is some bed bug withcraft I am unaware of. I will be the first to admit I am no PCO, but it really feels like all the naysaying is an effort to preserve the outrageously overpriced merchandise advertised on this site?

52. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 6:52:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi itneverends,

I am sorry if you have taken offense but I stand by my advice, DE MUST be used safely and that is not to excess and there is no need to apply it to a mattress.

There is a huge difference between the information here and other places, around here it is kept accurate whereas I gave up on the bedbug wiki years ago when some idiot kept editing it to say they were nocturnal, which they are not. This also goes for other resources, the one you quoted says in the first paragraph:

Fossils before grinding
    Diatomaceous Earth, also referred to as DE, is used as a non-toxic pesticide that can control a variety of pests in and around the home. These include ants, bedbugs, cockroaches, fleas, carpet beetles, centipedes, millipedes, silverfish, earwigs, scorpions, ticks, and box elder bugs. Unlike pesticides that kill pests using poisonous chemicals, DE kills pests physically. It works in a couple of ways. When pests crawl through DE, its particles abrade and puncture the tough, waxy layers that coat the exoskeleton of insects and pierce the soft bodies of other pests like slugs.

Now the reality is that DE works by sequestering the lipids in the waxy layer of the exoskeleton thus allowing moisture lose and dehydration, there is no abrasive mechanism.

This may seem a small difference but when it comes to facts its all about the accuracy and sadly with bedbugs there are lots and lots of info sites out there with the same inaccurate information and often with stolen images.

So what does this mean to the average person, well in summary if you come here you can expect to get accurate information, you can also expect to be politely corrected when you are wrong but the up side is that you can also get access to some f the world's top bedbug professionals to give advice as well as support from others who are going through or have been through the same issues as you.

I hope you appreciate the fact that there are plenty of people around here who have been through this already and that their advice might actually help you to resolve your issue faster, safer and more efficiently.

Sincerely,

David

53. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 6:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

usbedbugs.com/Zippered-Encasements_c_185.html these people, the sponsors of this site, offer a bed bug bad for a box spring for thirty give dollars. It's about 3 dollars worth of materials, but that's fine, because bb victims have no choice. Well I cannot afford that, good sirs and madams, because I am poor. This is outrageous exploitation and we stand for it because bbs are humiliating, and we want to resolve out before they find out what disgusting circumstances we've been living in. It is not my fault I caught bedbugs; I rode the nuts and worked in a call center. Nasty people sat in my chair wearing the same pajamas they sleep in, using their blankets from home, and it happened to me. I ask for help and all I get is " a pro". Well I can't. Nobugsonme Gave the excellent advice of calling the health department, and I have. Got an appointment for DECEMBER #!$@! SIXTH. They're eating me as I type this at 5 in the morning, don't you understand? Just please someone answer the question: how long after exposure will they die?

54. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 7:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Correction, my Android said nuts where I meant to type bus. Awkward, but accidental.

55. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 7:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

From the DE FAQ:

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

It says 10 days from contact with DE.

If applied too thickly they will avoid it so follow the guide for the best results.

I would also suggest you do some research on "local sources" and how to avoid them so that once clear you do not accidentally bring bedbugs home from work or the commute.

David

56. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 7:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip; I read the faq but I never actually saw that part, weird. I appreciate it, really I'm sorry for the nerd rage I typically only sleep about 3 times a week anymore. I will apply the DE as I previously described, and I've also improvised isolation techniques on the baby's crib. Isolation for the bed is not feasible add it's a mattress and box spring directly on the floor. And the troll in the living room sleeps on a couch that folds out into a bed(not a futon, either, folks. The old nineties style) I have decided to test out on the couch first. If it kills the bugs, great. If it really is as dangerous as some people say, well, all the better

57. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 8:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends, I'm trying to send you a message....

58. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 12:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Confirmed, I have received your message and replied. I will say here that after more than A YEAR infestation I am not concerned with the time frame or the slight health risks (though I will of course take precautions, like I will be the one in the apartment during application and I will have a surgical mask) Truthfully at this point if you had facts confirming asbestos kills bed bugs I'd start sleeping in asbestos pajamas. (No, it wouldn't work, and yes, I know that lol)

I am aware this forum suggests a high end breathing apparatus. I had an old military surplus mask but I have since repurposed it for recreational use and the transition was, regrettably, irreversible. All comes back down to money, sadly.

59. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 19:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear never,

Whether you choose to apply DE or another more effective insecticide dust or product is totally up to you.

However, your results will be better if you learn where to apply it, such as bed bug harborage areas, learn how to best apply and assure that you are thorough in your work.

BTW, one of the reasons I hesitate to post product names is because I would then need to also post the disclaimer/compliance statement on professional affiliations, etc., which of course I prefer not doing.

pjb

60. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 2:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't worry Paul D, I plan to apply it to the harborages too :). As for harborages, I've discovered a useful trick for the other broke bb victims out there who only have a box spring with mattress but no frame. I crumble up old newspapers and stuff the area between my bed and my wall before I go to sleep. In the morning I burn them in my little grill while I have a smoke. I usually catch about 12 to 35 a morning. Probably not really even making a dent, but it makes me feel better.

61. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 10:56:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm . . .

crumbled newspaper you say . . .

we need to think about that one . . .

pjb

62. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Totally works. Just finished roasting 26 bbs. I love it; I imagine the screams. They die almost instantly, which I'll be honest is mildly disappointing. Maybe that's why the DE excites me so much. It's a slow, agonizing death.

And that's just what they deserve.

None of you smarty pants PCOs better come on and say they don't have nerve endings and they won't feel it, either. I need this lmao

63. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:24:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but I can see that working. They enter the crumpled newspaper and it's like a maze to get lost in. They wander around and just get deeper in it also looking for new places to hide. Won't get rid of the problem, but may just decrease their numbers and keep a few from their nightly meal.

Just my 2 cents.

And BB's do have nerve endings...in fact they have extra nerve endings. I know this is true...I read it on the internet.

64. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:36:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its a derivative of a 17th century Norwegian fishing village solution I once read about that has some cross over to a GB medieval temporary fix.

I think its one of those that is best summarised as "before too long you need to realise its time to turn the water off at the stop cock rather than getting bigger and bigger containers to bale the sink out with".

Not an approach I would condone myself.

David

65. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 24 minutes ago  » 
    None of you smarty pants PCOs better come on and say they don't have nerve endings and they won't feel it, either. I need this lmao

Hilarious!!! (The part about you needing to know that you are tormenting them.)

And I gotta say itneverends . . . when I first read your "newspaper" post I thought well there's something new! What an interesting "trap"! How clever and resourceful! (Note to experts . . . not saying this is the way to get rid of your bed bug problem!) But since you are doing that, are you putting the papers in a bag or container to carry them through your residence to the grill to be sure none drop off? Just a thought!

(And if I am going to get my hand slapped by the experts for saying that was clever and resourceful (as I had just never heard of that before) . . . please be gentle, I bruise very easily!!!)

OK, EDITED after reading David Cain's post above! Just a note, I was not saying that's how to get rid of bed bugs . . . was concerned of them falling/dropping off as he moved the papers to the grill!

66. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Its a derivative of a 17th century Norwegian fishing village solution I once read about that has some cross over to a GB medieval temporary fix.
    I think its one of those that is best summarised as "before too long you need to realise its time to turn the water off at the stop cock rather than getting bigger and bigger containers to bale the sink out with".
    Not an approach I would condone myself.
    David

I don't think the OP meant it as a way to eradicate the problem, but rather a way to decrease the actual bites he receives until the problem is eradicated. And if it works...what harm is there?

S

67. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 13:00:12
    #

Login to Send PM

BBNewbie - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I don't think the OP meant it as a way to eradicate the problem, but rather a way to decrease the actual bites he receives until the problem is eradicated. And if it works...what harm is there?
    S

Thanks for the clarification I would have never guessed that had you not pointed it out.

David

68. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 13:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess it probably has a small impact in the bite rate, but they need only feed once a week, so I imagine if I was able to assess overall population and record results I'd have to wait a week to see the change. (and of course, if I knew exactly how many were in my apartment and where I wouldn't still have this problem) As absolutely freaking noted, it's just gratifying to see them burn. And to clarify- I bag the newspaper straight out of the crevice with a shopping bag.
    If you have a Droid, get a flashlight app. I sit and play 4 pics one word when I can't sleep and periodically switch on the flashlight and go hunting. I torture the ones I find in amusing ways:

Hold them and burn them with a cigarette
    Pull off legs only on one side, and leave them to die in a drinking glass

69. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 13:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I torture the ones I find in amusing ways:
    Hold them and burn them with a cigarette
    Pull off legs only on one side, and leave them to die in a drinking glass

OMG!!! Note to self: Don't ever cross itneverends. . . or, I guess, more aptly . . . don't ever bite him!!!

Note to itneverends: whatever decreases their number and gets you through the night!

70. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 13:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 10 hours ago  » 
    Don't worry Paul D, I plan to apply it to the harborages too :). As for harborages, I've discovered a useful trick for the other broke bb victims out there who only have a box spring with mattress but no frame. I crumble up old newspapers and stuff the area between my bed and my wall before I go to sleep. In the morning I burn them in my little grill while I have a smoke. I usually catch about 12 to 35 a morning. Probably not really even making a dent, but it makes me feel better.

itneverends,

Since your building management are slackers, and since you seem to be collecting a large number of bed bugs daily, I have a better suggestion for you:

Collect the bed bugs. Put the papers in a sealed ziploc (2 gallon, XL, whatever) and seal it well. Double bag if you are worried. Then amass a large collection of bed bugs. Or maybe you have a large glass jar of some kind. Take these along when visiting your management office. If the housing inspectors are brought in by you as I hope they will be, show them.

Some people have done this and some who have ended up in housing court have brought along their "collection". I gather it works very well in convincing people of the scope of your issues. A jar of bed bugs, preferably alive, works MUCH better than just talking about bed bugs.

71. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 13:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul that's a good plan. And then I'll dump it out in the middle of his office if he still won't cooperate

72. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 15:12:30
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 hours ago  » 

BBNewbie - 4 minutes ago  » 
    S

Thanks for the clarification I would have never guessed that had you not pointed it out.
    David

Why your very welcome. LOL

73. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 15:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 1 hour ago  » 
    Paul that's a good plan. And then I'll dump it out in the middle of his office if he still won't cooperate

Did you mean nobugs? I took this to be about the jar of bugs idea.

Joking aside, I think people take a jar of bugs very seriously as it potentially could affect them. It's there, they see how awful it is (and you're not just talking about one bug), and it scares them.

However, actually using it as a weapon is likely a violation of some laws. Not recommended.

74. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 15:32:24
    #

Login to Send PM

My mistake nobugs I didn't even look at the poster. And I know it'd be a bad idea lol

Bus it'd be EVER so gratifying...;)

75. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 3 2013 1:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Today I received 10 pounds of food grade DE. Sent the family away and applied first to the couch. There was some dust but nothing really bad. Sprinkled completely on the floor and rubbed in with a broom. Filled in all cracks, dusted all the clutter, dusted the box spring and the bottom of the mattress, did the floor in the baby's room but nowhere on the crib as I bleach it regularly and I don't know how it will react on her skin. Dusted the furniture and around the baseboards. Doled it out to the neighbors to do the same. Used a surgical mask, had no problems. I will let you know how out goes!

76. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 3 2013 12:34:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey,

I was a successful do it yourselfer. not even sure how many months its been.... enough that i feel safe. had 1 scare but it was unfounded. I used very little of the DE my son has asthma and reacted badly to all the chemicals. it is a lot of hard work everyday and it took me months. i too could not afford a professional. I think on my success post i wrote what i did , but basically lots of vacuuming, hand held steamer and a h2o steamer . Bagged everything and high heat dried everything past the recommended time . oh and lots of carpet tape its the stickiest. Not sure what everyone else wrote . dont have my glasses to read through it all. Wish you the best and a swift vistory. it can be done!!!!
    P.S be very careful when you get rid of the DE it gets into the air easily .

77. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 3 2013 13:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I plan to rent a stream cleaner to vacuum it up. I expect a regular vacuum will kick up some dust. Gonna use a Swiffer Sweeper on the hard surfaces.

78. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 3 2013 23:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Update no rashes or breathing issues. Am monitoring how often the wife hits her inhaler; she used it two more times today. But she was out most of the day, so I think it's the rubbish air quality in Bakersfield.

79. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 4 2013 14:36:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Still no rashes, wife is having no issue breathing. Bite rate in the baby is almost completely reduced. Unfortunately, my wife and I don't manifest sores, so I can't quantify reduction. Sadly, the DE is not killing the mom in law, but it is killing her BBs, so I am now applying the dust to the mattress, since it's not affecting the troll's skin.

80. itneverends

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 11 2013 10:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a zippy bag filled with more than 300 bed bugs here, collected from ALL over my 2 bedroom apartment. It's been 2 days since I saw a full sized bug, but I do feel them and they're still biting, but WAY less.

81. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 11 2013 11:47:02
    #

Login to Send PM

itneverends - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have a zippy bag filled with more than 300 bed bugs here, collected from ALL over my 2 bedroom apartment. It's been 2 days since I saw a full sized bug, but I do feel them and they're still biting, but WAY less.

I love that you're collecting them and this evidence may come in very handy at some point.

I hope you will post photos!

If you collected 300 bed bugs, then you should be getting more than 300 fewer bed bug bites per week (for the family), which should be very noticeable.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs