BB Alert passive placement on Ikea Malm bed

(11 posts)
  1. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Nov 23 2012 22:54:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I had what appears to be a successful heat treatment done a month and a half ago, but I seem to get the occasional suspicious bite. I've got the BB Alert passive monitor on my malm ikea bed, but I want to be sure it's in the right place. Please see attached pics. According to another post I read, the monitor should be placed right about the metal beam in the centre or the bed. The monitor sits about 3 inches or so below the edge of the mattress. Should it not be higher?

I've also gone over the slats and filled all the cracks and knots and I haven't seen any other signs, such as fecal stains or casings. Anyway, the monitor's been there for about 3 weeks or so and i wanted to confirm it is in the right place. Any idea how long I would have to wait before I'm sure my BB problem is dealt with?

Thanks!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 24 2012 11:44:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes that would be a suitable install on that kind of bed.

I would say that after 3 weeks and no signs its an extremely good indication of now activity.

I cant tell from the images if you sealed and varnished the wood at all, it will not make a massive difference unless you are looking for easy of resolution should you have a problem in the future. I guess it comes down to my belief that dealing with some of the anxiety of possible future bedbugs is to make sure that you are optimally positioned to catch any issue early and deal with it through a deep cleanse and monitor replacement.

Its a little like having an emergency action plan or first aid kit in the home, you hope that you never need to use it but somehow it helps to know its there and that you know how to us it if needed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

IN accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest is Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 24 2012 16:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you yet again, David, for the generous sharing of your expertise. It's very much appreciated!
    I will varnish the slats like you recommended. I did seal up any cracks and knots with a silicone sealer, but I'd like to make sure I've been as thorough as possible.
    I don't want to get my hopes up too much but things are looking promising. Fingers crossed!

4. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 12:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again,

Just for my peace of mind --- what are the odds that there are still a couple of BBs hanging around, and yet not entering the monitor? If they, for example, were residing in my bedside table, would they not just stay there, or would they find the monitor just too inviting to pass up?

I'm definitely still getting some bites - four separate ones on me right now. I'm aware that you can't confirm anything on bites alone (not really any point in posting pics, is there?), but it would strike me as quite a coincidence that something else has picked up biting me just as the bedbugs had been dealt with. And I'm the only one in house who seems to react to these bites. Nothing showing on my wife or 2 daughters, that I am aware of.

I've also been meaning to ask about the use of Murphy's Oil Soap in conjunction with the BB Alert Passive - Would you advise against this?

Thanks again...!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 12:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes its too inviting to pass up. I have seen bedbugs switch from existing harbourages over 6 feet away in a matter of days so after inspecting the bedside tables you can set that worry to one side.

If you search the forum you will see posts from others who have become sensitive to all sorts post BB exposure and stress and worry seem to be common triggers.

We don't have Murphy's oil soap in the UK so I have no point of reference.

David

6. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 12:53:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David.

I guess one of my concerns was that the heat treatment might have driven a couple of BBs into further recesses of my room, but I shall put my faith in the monitor!

About Murphy's Oil, it apparently kills them on contact, sort of like spraying with alcohol. I just don't want to do something to disrupt the effectiveness of the monitor.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 12:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not familiar enough with US products to know what repels bedbugs into more distant parts of the room, in the UK yeah I have a list but regulations mean we have different product ranges.

I would however say I know alcohol does not repel bedbugs so if the oil soap is only a contact killer why use it instead of alcohol?

David

8. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 13:07:44
    #

Login to Send PM

That is a very good question! As you can tell by my whopping 16 posts, I'm a complete rookie.

Off I go, to do more research.

Thanks for your help!

9. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2012 20:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again David,

Last couple of questions, if you don't mind, then I will try to leave you alone!

I've read that you shouldn't check your monitor more than once a week. Now, I've had my curiosity get the better of me and, for the last little while, have pulled the mattress away a bit to check for fecal marks maybe every 2-3 days. I've also changed the sheets, which basically amounts to the same thing. I haven't touched or disturbed the monitor in any other way, but am I limiting the effectiveness of the monitor because of this?

Also, I've found my bites to be located more below the waist than anywhere else. Could this mean the potential BBs could be coming from the other end of the bed? If so, is there a better place for the monitor or is it just as effective where it's at?

Again, thank you for your valuable input.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2012 5:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The weekly checking interval is due to two factors:

• You need to leave time for trace signs to build up and over checking can heighten anxiety
    • As bedbug eggs take from 10 - 14 days to hatch as a rule weekly checking is the optimal as you are able to catch activity and remove the harbourage before any eggs have had time to hatch.

It is not so much about moving the Passive Monitor as not overly stressing and feeding anxiety.

I have always found that bites on the lower body above the feet is less likley to be bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David

11. Ragged

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2012 23:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David. You've been a huge help and I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams