Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

BB Alert Passive Monitor - can you prove a negative?

(4 posts)
  1. Arthur

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 23:23:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, everyone,

We are still not sure if we have bedbugs or unrelated hives - only one of us has had itchy bumps, which started during a bad virus, but have only happened at night. I definitely am having a psychosomatic reaction (I'm scratching as I type), but that doesn't mean we don't also have a real problem.

Just in case, we steam-cleaned the bed frame and mattress, put on a mattress enclosure, and have installed the BB Alert Passive Monitor on the bed frame right next to the head of the mattress. (We thought about calling in a dog, until we got a price quote of $400 an hour.)

So let's say we go for a month without seeing any signs of bedbugs on the bed or on the monitor. Can we relax?

Even if we don't have bedbugs, this experience has been eye-opening. We will probably still get a Packtite and use it when we travel.

Fingers crossed, and thanks for your insight!

2. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 14 2010 0:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Your plan sounds pretty good. Maybe up your laundry frequency and let the dryer run longer at the hottest setting.

I wouldnt buy a packtite unless you travel very frequently OR unless you actually confirm that you do have bedbugs. 120 degrees for a few minutes kills all bedbug life stages, and a good dryer will do that within an hour.

I would search your bedrooms. Look in all the cracks of your closet, wall joins, and bedframe, and on the mattress and boxspring. Look for bugs, cast skins or feces.

What is your building situation? Stand alone house, row home, apartment complex, or condo?

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 14 2010 6:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would say yes, if you have cleaned and inspected and installed a passive and there are no signs after a month, in the room or on the passive then I think you can take that as clear and BB free.

It may be that the hive were a reaction to the medical, you can get some sensativity with certain antibiotics in some people.

Hope the issue resolves.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Arthur

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 14 2010 10:59:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much for your replies.

We have a stand-alone house and haven't traveled or had houseguests since the summer, so we have reason to be optimistic. Then again, my husband takes the L to the Chicago Loop every day, so there is plenty of opportunity to catch a hitch-hiker.

If I did get a Packtite, I fear I'd get obsessive-compulsive about prevention - cooking all the library books, and the children's shoes and bags after school. Reading the horrible stories here terrifies me and my heart goes out to those of you dealing a known infestation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies