(5 posts)
  1. Didibedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 29 2017 0:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,
    I checked my passive bb alert and found a shell of some sort hanging off the bottom edge of the monitor. Does this look like a bed bug shell??
    Seems to almost have a hairy appearance?
    Also, is it possible for other bugs besides bed bugs to end up in/or on the monitor?
    Thank you

IMG_5559_1how to upload image on internet
    IMG_5552_1
    IMG_5549_1how to upload image on internet

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 29 2017 6:16:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bug. Its carpet beetle or close relative.

Nothing to worry about and sometimes linked to "bite like" skin reactions there is a lot of information about them on the forum, including links to simple solutions.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Didibedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 29 2017 9:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

4. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 29 2017 22:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding the monitor also, yes, its certainly possible for other bugs to be in/near it. I have found carpet beetle casings darn near everywhere I looked for bbs, including near my passive monitors. But other bugs that might get in it (like carpet beetles or a even a spider) probably wouldn't harbour in it like bbs do.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 9:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While the monitor is specifically designed for bed bugs and to confirm their presence there is nothing about it that will attract other insects or organisms into your home.

Occasionally something may explore it and the nature of the "electrostatic" attraction of the detection skirt will anchor down passing airborne materials which could include carpet beetle skins and other "dander".

The awesome news is that should anything decide to make its home in there its an easy unwanted tenant to dispose of. I might have to shoot a video of a technique I use for isolating monitors into the pair of gloves I was wearing while taking them off. It's for those moments when you want to bag the issue and carry on checking and don't have a ziplock to hand (the premise being I always have a saddle pocket full of gloves.

A few years ago I did start working on a carpet beetle trap but its not a core priority as there are simpler ways to tackle the issue.

Hope that explains but its nothing to be concerned with.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,216 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls