Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Battling bedbugs: New York City Council bill would create online map

(5 posts)
  1. crossroads

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 10:34:10
    #

Login to Send PM

An NYC councilman advocates an online map showing if your neighbours have bed bugs. This is surely a very very bad idea...

http://abc7ny.com/politics/battling-bedbugs-city-council-bill-would-create-online-map/1945473/

Espinal also wants the agency to use an online map of all bedbug-related complaints, updated quarterly, so residents can spot a bedbug threat. "That information would allow a lot of people to sleep a lot easier," he said. "And also inform them so that they could take proactive measures they need to take to protect their homes."

Housing Preservation and Development officials said during a committee hearing that complaints and violations are available online, but they are concerned an online map might unintentionally stigmatize buildings and communities. "For everyone who has bedbugs, the stigma that might be associated to them of being identified in a building that has bed bugs," HPD assistant deputy commissioner Ann Marie Santiago said.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 10:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I read The Scarlet Letter back in high school.

3. crossroads

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 10:42:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I read The Scarlet Letter back in high school.

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 16:03:26
    #

Login to Send PM

but they are concerned an online map might unintentionally stigmatize buildings and communities
    -------------------
    That's fine in my book if it motivates landlords to be more responsible. That's how the free market works.

Think Yelp or the prominently displayed restaurant ratings now being adopted by some municipalities. Also think Better Business Bureau ratings, Amazon, ebay or even your Uber driver's rating. When businesses are publically accountable, they tend to behave better.

That said, there should be some provision to indicate which buildings resolved the problems and if in a timely manner. You want to reward as well as criticize.

Richard

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 22:03:29
    #

Login to Send PM

If I'm reading this correctly it would be a map that notes bed bug complaints. Who will verify these complaints? If you've spent any time on this site you know that complaint doesn't equal bed bugs the majority of the time.
    While I can see the intended value I'm afraid that in reality it would reduce the amount of people confirming their bed bug issues and possible retribution from landlords on those that file complaints.
    Again, from the outside it can seem like they're providing a service, but without someone confirming every case it may be counter-productive. It will be interesting to read the libel claims.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest