(7 posts)
  1. bambi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 16:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bambi_bug/7611577494/in/photostream

Sorry about the pic. Cell phone through a microscope . . . really hard to do without a dedicated set-up.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 16:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bambi,

I'm not convinced 100% this is Cimex lectularius but I'm hedging due to clarity on my screen here.

Lou, what do you think?

paul b.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 16:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't look hirsute enough to be one of the bat bugs. I'm going with the common bed bug, unless a better picture comes along and some new information comes to light. It might have recently molted, so that could explain the paleness. Could be the lighting, but I think it's the timing of the molt.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bambi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 17:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the pic. I really struggled with the process. Perhaps it's time to look for my camera.

I contacted my old ent professor. He didn't say so, but I think the lighting was the reason he couldn't distinguish the species.

I'll go home and look for my real camera; maybe it will work better.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 17:14:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bambi,

I hope you can get us a better photo so we know for sure. As there's reportedly "no bites", I think influences my judgement however, Lou is excellent at this and I am comfortable in my own skin recognizing my own limitations.

When i look at your photo my thoughts are it's almost a bed bug but I'm not quite there yet. I wish I had one here to place under my good ole trusty Bausch & Lomb. maybe you could mail me & Lou one each???

thanks much ! paul b.

6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 21:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a great view of the sample on my large iMac screen and I can say with 100% certainty that it's a bed bug for sure.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 20 2012 23:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks KQ, good enough for me if you say so !

And, you're also saying i need a mac, right? I've been putting that one off for a while now.

Thanks again ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo