Bat bugs vs. bed bugs

(3 posts)
  1. sleeplessinme

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 2:08:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it strange that there are dozens of bed bug casings (or perhaps just dried up bugs?) in my ceiling light fixture? I'm concerned that I may have bat bugs rather than bed bugs, since, along with discovering the casings, there have also been bats getting into my bedroom with no sign of where they came from. Obviously I'm not suggesting that the bats came from the light fixture, but it would explain why treatment seems to have failed, where the bugs are coming from, and why I'm only seeing them in certain rooms. While I have read of bed bugs climbing up walls in order to drop down on people's beds, I haven't heard of them getting into (and getting stuck in) light fixtures. However, if the only way to a good blood meal was through the fixture, it would make sense as to why they're there.

Thanks for any insight.

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 5:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post pics of what you found?

I wonder if they would be attracted to heat,,if they are bb. Curious what an expert will say.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 5:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimicid activity is basically during times when there is less host activity and lights are off. The bugs can crawl around and fell into the light fixture and couldn't get out. You turn on the lights and it cooks them. So they're not attracted to the fixture when it is on. The light fixture acted as a pitfall trap.
    Yes, please post pictures. Get close to the insect and make sure it is in focus.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46