Bat bugs

(3 posts)
  1. HelpBB

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 18:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Sequence of events:
    1)Started getting bites last April 2018. Suspected we had bed bugs. Noticed blood stains on sheets occasionally. Two different exterminators found nothing. Daughters room sometimes had an odd smell but not always

2) dusted master bedroom with DE
    3) Found dead bed bug in master bathroom just a few feet from bed. We keep dirty laundry in bathroom. May 2018
    4) Scheduled treatment for bed bugs. We cleaned the whole house and threw away so much. We found a bed bug in son's headphones that had recently fed, bed bug in a couple different toys in son's room. Found largest quantity of bed bugs in daughters room but never a harborage. Bed bugs were found here and there. A few of the bed bugs were found in clothes being stored in her closet top shelf next to attic door in ceiling. Mid May
    5) Started treatment. End of May 2018 1st 2 was temprid, 3rd was phantom last 2 was temprid all mixed with gentrol. This exterminator did not spray everything every time he came. He only spent maybe an hr in a 3,000 sq ft house with 6 beds multiple couches and chairs. It was only him. Bites continued. Saw and occasional bed bug here and there in clothes and such. Bites were getting worse but still no harborage to be found any where.
    6) Fed up with it we decided to do Vikane treatment. Mid August 2018 We were talked out of tenting and doing lower dose vikane. I wanted to pay extra to kill everything including possible brown recluse spiders and their eggs but was talked out of it. Treatment was done on a very cold stormy windy day. They pumped gas in about 8 pm and house opened up about 7 am. It was a tape and seal but not everything was sealed up. After treatment still was getting bites and found bed bug in bed 1 wk after treatment. Sheets had been washed couple times before finding bed bug.

7) Mid Oct. 2018 Heat treated but they had to block off many rooms b/c floors were warping. We were told that b/c of this it created a lot of cold spots for bed bugs to hide. 2 days later did a Aprehend treatment b/c heat did not go as planned but we still got charged for it. Still finding bites on myself but still No harborage that we could find. We did find what looked like fecal matter here and there but still no harbourage.
    8 My son woke up with so many bites at the end of January beginning of febuary. I searched his room and found Nothing.
    9) Found a cluster of bed bugs that were broken up in a cloth blinds yesterday in the dining room. These blinds were checked by me a little over a month ago and they were not there at that time. 1 was missing his head but the body was intact and it was a bed bug or was it a bat bug? Told husband we needed to check attic b/c it is to strange that we are finding bed bugs here and there but never a harborage and we live in a single family home.

10) Opened attic up to be hit with a very strong odd not pleasant smell. I started getting a sick feeling. Wondered if this is what a severe bed bug infestation smell would smell like? Did not see any bats but it is the middle of winter so would there be? I did find a bed or maybe it was a bat bug missing it's head in the attic next to attic door. Is the odd/yucky smell we occasionally smelled in our daughters room actually have been coming from the attic? Is that the reason why we found a few more bed/bat bugs in her closet on the top shelf in clothes being stored next to the attic door in her ceiling? Would Bat bugs in a large enough infestation have a foul smell like bed bugs? Would bed bugs harbor in the attic or would it only be bat bugs that would do that? I am really wondering if we have bat bugs instead of bed bugs. I also saw a lot of black stuff like some kind of fecal matter on top of the insulation in the attic. It was not bed bug fecal matter but something different Could it be bat poop? Any advise would be appreciated. Please help.

Does it sound like we are dealing with bat bugs? If so oh where do we even begin? I read bats can get into really tiny places and even hide in the walls of a house or the attic? What evidence do we look for if we have bats? Sigh...….

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 22:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Any specimens of any insects still retained?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. HelpBB

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 23:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Lou sent you a private message. Many thanks to the experts and many others that has helped me through this rough patch. I hate bed bugs but I have to say my house now has zero clutter and is the cleanest house there could be in my neighborhood and to the many wonderful people I have chatted with on this forum . You all are awesome!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,399 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina