Bat Bugs

(4 posts)
  1. Robin

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 6:48:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Bat bugs are practically identical. In fact, they can only be distinguished from Bed Bugs under a powerful microscope.

I just had an exterminator inspect my apartment in response to an apparent bed bug infestation elsewhere in the building. When I mentioned seeing bugs mostly on my bathroom walls and ceiling ran to the washroom and pointed at the ceiling fan and asked if there was anything other than vacant space above. I'm on the top floor. "Bats. Have you had any bats?"

Last year's infestation occured about the same time as we had bats invade the building attic.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bug

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 7:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes in certain regions there does appear to be a huge issue with people assuming based on initial appearance that bat bugs are bed bugs. The lack of faecal in the usual areas is also a good indication and the toilet habits of the two species are very different to each other.

They are not a common issue in the UK and there appears to be no reservoir of bugs in the bat populations.

I will however say that ingress into homes tends to be associated with the bats leaving rather than arriving as they do tend to stick with the primary host species. I wonder if there is something related to the roosting area that is causing your population to be dislodged from the primary host.

Oddly enough one of the primary research groups for bat related bugs is Sheffield University in the UK.

If you have access to samples it may be worth using a flatbed scanner to create a high resolution scan of the head region so we can confirm the species.

If you have any access into the loft space it may be worth looking to run an active CO2 producing monitor to see if you can stem the flow into your property by providing an alternative source of CO2 for them to investigate. Its something I would love to try doing if I had more access to such cases.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 1 2015 7:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Bat bugs are practically identical. In fact, they can only be distinguished from Bed Bugs under a powerful microscope.
    Actually, no, a powerful microscope isn't required. A good loupe magnifier will suffice. Even no magnification and just your eye if you are familiar with the species. The martin bugs are in a different genus and are much easier to distinguish.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 3 2015 18:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

If you post a clear photo here, the experts may be able to ID your bug.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls