Bat bugs?

(17 posts)
  1. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 13 2013 22:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Are bat bugs likely to have the same fecal staining, cast skins on or near matresses like bed bugs? I asked this because I have never ever found any fecal spots or cast skins on either of the matresses in the rooms were I found the bugs or anywhere else in the room, but I also found one in the bed right after it bit my son? Is there someone I can mail my dead samples to? They are taped to a white sheet of paper with clear tape? I am losing it!! I am trying my best to stay focused and positive but I am sinking quick.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 14 2013 7:09:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I don't come across bat bugs as frequently as they appear in the USA but one of the characteristics is low to no faecal or cast skins in and around the bed area.

I would suggest that you either make a high resolution scan of the sample or seek out a local university entomology department to send them to. Also looking for the bats or signs of bat activity may also help as the bat bugs will normally hang out in those areas.

The solution to bat bug issues starts with excluding the bats.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 14 2013 16:51:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David. Thanks for the response. The problem is my husband is in denial about the bats he said there is no way they can get in however me and my sons heard one in the air vent one night that is what made me think of them being bat bugs especially since I cant find any signs other than the actual bugs. 2 alive ones and 2 dead. I'm not sure why the ones I found were dead though I had dusted with DE but one of the dead ones I found was only the next day after dusting. Do bat bug nymphs come out like the adults also? Thanks for the help. I cant seem to find were they are but of course I live in a 3000 sq ft log home and I am panicking that they may be in all the cracks.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 14 2013 17:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would recommend you run a Bed Bug Beacon in the area you think the bats roost and you will have the proof of the issue in a few days.

David

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 14 2013 17:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They will not be in all the cracks, they return to the original food source to rest so once you get the issue dealt with in the bat roost its a lot easier than bedbugs to deal with.

David

6. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 14 2013 18:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank You for the suggestions. I realllllly hope it is bat bugs. Do you know anyone I could mail my samples of dead bugs to? I really want someone to check them out and not just say they are bed bugs.

7. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 11:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. As David mentioned, a local university entomology department should be able to help.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 11:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You can send the specimens to me if you like. Let me know & I'll let you know about the mailing address.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 13:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou! Even better!

10. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 17 2013 23:08:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou I think I like that idea better. I would like to send them to you.

11. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 17 2013 23:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if I have damaged them. I taped them with clear tape to a white sheet of paper.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 0:16:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Isitpossible,
    Click "PM this user" next to Lou's post to send him a private message, so he can give you his address. When he replies, you will see "You have x new messages" on the right, just over the "welcome" message where you login.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 27 2014 23:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

It is Batbugs! Not sure how to proceed now?

14. swift2cruz

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 28 2014 13:38:46
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 months ago  » 
    You can send the specimens to me if you like. Let me know & I'll let you know about the mailing address.

is there any way i could send you a sample of mine as well? you could let me know?

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 28 2014 13:54:18
    #

Login to Send PM

sure. PM me for address.
    I'll try to take pictures of these and bed bugs so people will be able to see the difference.

16. swift2cruz

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 28 2014 14:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 minutes ago  » 
    sure. PM me for address.
    I'll try to take pictures of these and bed bugs so people will be able to see the difference.

all signs point to bed bugs but one thing that is funny to me is that these little black dots are showing up outside my house and it started in my curtains, no where else (like they came in from outside).

all the exterminators are baffled, but they agree its bed bugs but none really looked at the bug i saved in a baggie, they looked at the curtains i threw away and the fecal matter on them.

as far as the dots i thought it was just bad timing because i learned of this mold that will grow (very similar to the fecal) when weather goes below 70 degrees. but now seeing how there's been no actual study of these bugs, they seem to have come from outside (impossible for bed bugs im told), and learning how alike bed bugs and bat bugs are that it may be bat bugs.

they also arent nesting in my furniture but high in the walls, and i havent seen any signs of bats but i live close to the woods so its very possible (i think). i will pm you for the address. thanks.

17. Isitpossible

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 29 2014 12:09:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a bat in my house about 2 years ago but I thought it came through the front door while the kids were running in and out. I haven't really seen signs other than that but they are in my attic or my storage areas up stairs Im sure or were that may be why the bugs are coming down now. Send them to Lou to identify for sure.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo