Bat bug vs bed bug behavior..

(3 posts)
  1. NippingItInTheBug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2016 14:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So I know I have bed bugs or bat bugs. Never have I heard of bat bugs until reading this forum, so now I have questions.

I received my first bite MONTHS ago. November, maybe December. It was on my left arm. The bite was terrible. Almost my entire forearm was swollen, the bite itself blistered, and I had what looked like red rings. I actually went to the hospital because I started getting red streaks up my arm on the second day that led all the way up to my armpit. They said spider bite. Maybe it was, but now I'm starting to think that maybe from all the scratching I caused an infection.

I had two other bites after, weeks apart. One close to the first bite, similar reaction minus the red streaks. The last bite was on my neck on the right side and actually was so swollen it looked like my cheek was drooping. After that, I notified my property manager. This was in January. After inspection, I was told that other than a couple carpet beetles and common house spiders, nothing was found and I was perhaps just having a bad reaction to a spider bite. Nothing else was done and I was billed for the inspection, which honestly, I couldn't (can't) afford.

About two weeks ago I woke up with several bites along my back. A cluster of about 6. I investigated my bed and box spring and found no signs of bugs. Bites were the same. Blisters, red and inflamed area. Then about two days later my toddler and I had fallen asleep on the couch and he awoke with two bites on his arms (his turn to blisters as well, but with less swelling). Again, couldn't find crap until one night at about 2-3am I awoke and found two nymphs on my sheets, and another on my mattress. This was last Monday.

Not knowing what to do, I started vacuuming every day. The couch and the bed, where we received bites. Heat drying all pillows and laundering what I could. Often times its later at night, because I'm usually at work a bit later than most people. This is when I noticed more live bugs, after staying up later.

The weird thing is, every one I have found, with the exception of the nymphs I found while laying in bed, are higher up. Mostly, the few I've found are in the crevice between the wall and ceiling. One was actually on the ceiling, in the corner in my living room. Another was in the door jam in to my bedroom, with two of its moltings (one of the two adult looking ones I've found). I also found one in my bathtub.

I do live in a multi-unit building, so I suppose they could be coming from a neighbor. Also, in my bedroom there is a huge vent on the ceiling for heat. In my bathroom, an open fan on the ceiling. I do not have access to an attic area. There are vents outside that I can see from each bedroom window. In one there is a nest of birds, but that one is outside my daughters room, which I haven't seen any activity in yet.

I am currently not getting bit every night. I am also trying to declutter and catch a specimen to show to my property manager and a PCO. I don't see them very often. Probably seen about 6 total (minus the first 3 in my bed).. Almost got what looked like an adult and it escaped onto my hand, which prompted me to freak out and squish it. I will try to save a specimen for someone to identify. Does it need to be an adult to distinguish the two? I am not getting bit every night. Never have. Just every now and then.

But is it normal to find these guys only near the ceilings and only in your bed when they're looking for a meal?

Maybe a stupid question... Just looking for some answers until I catch one. It's almost constantly on my mind when I'm home.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2016 15:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the ceiling is not a normal spot that I would look for bed bugs, unless a fogger was used. Please do post images when you find samples, nymph, adult, whatever you find.
    Do you react severely to any other insect bites or stings? The red circles and streaks are concerning.

3. NippingItInTheBug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2016 15:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

While my first reaction was to run out and grab every bed bug product on the market, I did some research (thankfully) about reliable products, since one of the few things I knew were how hard they are to get rid of, so I have not used any products of any kind at the moment. If a neighbor has them as well, I know it'd be hard to tell what they may have used.

I do react badly to mosquito bites, although they look different. They don't blister, like these do. I welt up, generally about a nickel to quarter size welt, and the area around is usually pretty red. Other than that, the only thing I know for sure I've ever been bitten by are fleas years and years ago, and I recall them being pretty typical for flea bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls