Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bat bug reproduction question

(7 posts)
  1. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 13:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! I was wondering if anyone with Bat bug knowledge could reliably answer this for me? So currently I have a bat bug colony in my attic. On Friday they will heat my house and attic in hopes of killing them. My question is this- it is my understanding that bat bugs need bat blood to reproduce. I understand that. My question is this - do they need bat blood at every stage from nymph to adult to reproduce or if there are nymphs that have fed on bats while they were there and then make their way into my house and feed on us- can they reproduce having had bat blood at some point but grown feeding on humans? So that would seem like the only bat bugs that would be unable to reproduce would be the babies of any current bat bugs that have fed on the bats? Does that make sense?

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 21:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 7 hours ago  » 
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone with Bat bug knowledge could reliably answer this for me? So currently I have a bat bug colony in my attic. On Friday they will heat my house and attic in hopes of killing them. My question is this- it is my understanding that bat bugs need bat blood to reproduce. I understand that. My question is this - do they need bat blood at every stage from nymph to adult to reproduce or if there are nymphs that have fed on bats while they were there and then make their way into my house and feed on us- can they reproduce having had bat blood at some point but grown feeding on humans? So that would seem like the only bat bugs that would be unable to reproduce would be the babies of any current bat bugs that have fed on the bats? Does that make sense?

Bat bugs just like bed bugs need blood at every nymph stage and adult stage. I don't believe they need strictly bat blood because if they have yours and also bats, it should be enough to live and eventually become adults. I think the adults need bat blood to produce eggs and sperm, but just to stay alive, human blood would do it. Does that answer the question?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. mcsmcs

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 22:35:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, that's actually fascinating biologically I wonder how that works on a biological level. However I'm grateful to hear that bat bugs need bat blood to reproduce.

4. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 22:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou!

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 0:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

mcsmcs - 1 hour ago  » 
    Lou, that's actually fascinating biologically I wonder how that works on a biological level. However I'm grateful to hear that bat bugs need bat blood to reproduce.

That's what is reported.

6. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 7:50:05
    #

Login to Send PM

One other question- do bat bugs transmit diseases? I know bed bugs don’t- but let’s say a bat had rabies, and then the bat bug fed on the bat and then fed on a human? Thanks again for all your answers! There really is not a lot of good information on the internet on bat bugs!

7. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 8:31:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Another thing I’ve been trying to sort out via internet reading is this- most sites that have information on Bat bugs are put up by bat removal companies. They say, “don’t worry, the bat bugs will die off in two weeks without the blood of a bat”- it frustrates me to no end. How can they keep saying this on this sites?!? A bat bug has the same life cycle as a bed bug, and can survive up to 18 months without blood. As I can prove with the bugs I found under my daughter’s mattress- they certainly can survive plump and happy on human blood. They don’t just “die” in two weeks. Wouldn’t that be wonderful!! But if you search information on bat bugs, over and over it says how once you remove the bats you don’t have to worry. I’ve read it on so many bat bug “information” sites. Are they really that rare that there isn’t correct and adequate information on them? Lou- I see a great business opportunity for you to create a bat bug informational website and actually have correct information on it!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,542 posts in 47,008 topics over 143 months by 20,748 of 21,023 members. Latest: doljm4, lbhaarhus, bed DEbugging