Bat Bug ID for Loubugs

(9 posts)
  1. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 8:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs- I finally got a better picture where you can more easily see the hairs. It’s been 16 days since the last bug and about 12/13 since bat removal so it would make since that they may be ingressing now. This was found in the bathtub. It’s been about a month since one was found in a bedroom.

http://imgur.com/l4SoDOb

http://imgur.com/BAS5iZA

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 10:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

batbugs01 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Loubugs- I finally got a better picture where you can more easily see the hairs. It’s been 16 days since the last bug and about 12/13 since bat removal so it would make since that they may be ingressing now. This was found in the bathtub. It’s been about a month since one was found in a bedroom.

Definitely see that it's not a common bed bug. They've not done any bug remediation up in the attic, soffit, etc. areas? Only try to bat proof and try to keep bats from entering and living there? PCO/PMP continues to treat only the cimicid bugs when they come into your home?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 11:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 16 minutes ago  » 

batbugs01 - 2 hours ago  » 

Definitely see that it's not a common bed bug. They've not done any bug remediation up in the attic, soffit, etc. areas? Only try to bat proof and try to keep bats from entering and living there? PCO/PMP continues to treat only the cimicid bugs when they come into your home?

Glad to finally get that confirmation! I tried to take the pics from a few different angles and I’m so happy it actually captured the hairs. They are tough to see to my untrained eye.

You are correct, Lou. A few months ago, following removing the bats the second time, they did more soffit work. The PCT removed all insulation and placed new insulation, and dusted the attic, the sockets, and the upstairs. This past removal, more soffit work was done and they caulked the baseboards upstairs. Hardware cloth and foam was placed in all crevices from the inside. No dusting or any actual bug work done. My landlords won’t pay for more until “the bugs prove to be an issue after the bat removal.” Just saw the first one today 2 weeks post bat removal. I plan on checking the attic and the Beacon weekly for signs of the bats return, particularly in spring. I would feel more comfortable if the attic was re-dusted though. Do you think I can make a solid case to have the PCT come back?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 12:28:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug must have moved from the bat roost area and been in a place where there was no treatment. Could be in an area where treatment didn't reach where the bug was staying and it crawled along and came to your place. This could be above your ceiling or within the walls of your home or somewhere in the roost and other areas where there was no treatment. You can wait, find additional, have further re-treats and inspections. PCT, landlord, can see what area hasn't been treated or inspected at this point in time.

5. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 25 2019 13:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Well the bathroom vent is right by the roost area/part of the roof that they entered through. I will see if the PCT can spray again. It’s been about 4 months since the last time. Would spraying the walls in the attic or would dusting the attic have the best effectiveness? Because of the cold, sadly I don’t think the active monitor is able to achieve its full effectiveness.

6. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 1 2019 7:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs, in effort of not making another post I hope you see this one. So the saga continues and my partner heard the indicative “scratching” from the attic this morning that has previously come from the bats. I have been checking the attic regularly but I could be missing something but I don’t know who to trust because the PCT AND the landlord missed the bat at first. We have been finding bugs in the tub every few days, but this one looks a little weird? Almost has a white stripe or band around it? Here is the pic:

http://imgur.com/40anIAZ

http://imgur.com/pgPmNAD

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 1 2019 14:21:19
    #

Login to Send PM

batbugs01 - 7 hours ago  » 
    Loubugs, in effort of not making another post I hope you see this one. So the saga continues and my partner heard the indicative “scratching” from the attic this morning that has previously come from the bats. I have been checking the attic regularly but I could be missing something but I don’t know who to trust because the PCT AND the landlord missed the bat at first. We have been finding bugs in the tub every few days, but this one looks a little weird? Almost has a white stripe or band around it? Here is the pic:

Nice pictures. These are nymphs. This accounts for the white stripe -- unsclerotized integument. The adult bug would have these pale areas all brown because the body segments are sclerotized. The membranes connecting body segments are pale, but in nymphs the abdominal segments are not completely sclerotized (hardened).
    It would be nice to get some live bugs if you capture a bunch. The pictures aren't clear when zoomed in, and they are nymphs, but look more like bat bug than common bed bug. Need specimens or good close-up of the bug.

8. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Feb 2 2019 21:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the info! I sadly saw this too late and killed another bug but will collect the next one for you. I have no idea how the bugs are getting into the tub. I recently explored the attic and the insulation that they would have to get through to get to the vent is a foot deep and it’s mixed with boric acid. So I’m not sure how they are getting in.

My last question for right now would be: how long should we expect to see them now that I’m continuously confirming that there are no more bats? It’s been 2 weeks of seeing a bug every few days so I’m not that concerned, but how long is “too long” to keep seeing both nymphs and adults? Trying to see if I should get the PCT back to spray again if it’s going to take them a while to die off/leave.

9. batbugs01

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Feb 14 2019 21:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again! Just following up about my question. When will I be able to give myself the All clear? My PCT says upwards of 18 months but I feel if there was a viable food option they wouldn’t hang around that long? It’s been about 7 weeks since we have seen a bug in the bedrooms (I would say the caulking contributes to this) and 2 weeks since we saw anything in the bathtub. We went about 6 weeks period last time before they came back so I’m not holding my breath. I am checking weekly in the attics to make sure the bats are still gone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,399 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina