Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bat bug and attic restoration help!!!

(8 posts)
  1. Ihatebatbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 14:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought a house 2 years ago that is invested with bats and bat bugs. We discovered this infestation that our inspector missed about 6 months after closing. I kept getting bites and kept going to doctor to see what they were. Finally a friend told me they were bed bug bites. Fast forward and we had the bugs identified as bat bugs.
    We have tried to get rid of them since. We realized this is our of our hands. We contacted a company to rid the bats, but looks like there are no companies that help rid people of bat bugs successfully. All the companies I have called said we need to rip out all the insulation in our 2 attics. That is the only way to rid the bugs once the bats are gone. We are looking at 5-10k in repairs. This is money I don't have. I have infections all over my legs because I have developed a severe allergy to them. Does anyone know if insurance will help over the cost?

2. Ilikeants

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 15:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe that most homeowner insurance will cover attic restoration from damages caused by bats. But it's all in the wording. Example: You could say, "The bats caused damage to your insulation which has affected its R value." That should be covered.

3. mcsmcs

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 17:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The bat bugs should die off without bats

4. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 17:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m on the beginning of this awful bat bug journey- 5 weeks in. Yes- they will die without bats- in 18 months while continuing to feed on humans and using you as your meal. If you are willing to be bit for the 18 months than your logic stands.And that’s “if” you successfully removed the bats and excluded them from re-entering ever. I’m with Ihatebatbugs that we want them DEAD! Please keep us posted- I’m living in hell with these bugs as well.

5. mcsmcs

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jul 23 2018 19:18:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I will say I have developed a new view of caring about bats in houses

6. Ihatebatbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 12:08:02
    #

Login to Send PM

We had the company come out today to give us a final quote. I am still shaking! Our house has 2 attics and one cathedral ceiling. To get the bats out is going to cost me $1,700. Once the bats are gone, in 30 days, the company will come back out. Rip out all the insulation in my 1,700 square foot home. They will rip of the cathedral ceiling. Clean the areas and put in new insulation. This is going to cost me around 8k. So around $10,000! I called my insurance and waiting for claims adjuster to call me back. I hope they will help pay for this. All exterminators I have called have said to get rid of the bat bugs, you must get rid of the bats and the bat guano. They can reproduce without the bats as long as they have the bat poop. I wouldn't wish this nightmare on my worst enemy.
    To make it worse, I am highly allergic to them. I have blisters oozing all over. I have no where to go. I hope my insurance will help cover the cost because I don't have the money for this. Sorry for the rant! It's just an embarrassing problem and it's not like you want anyone to know about it because there's a stigma that your unclean or gross.

7. Ihatebatbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 12:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT - 18 hours ago  » 
    I’m on the beginning of this awful bat bug journey- 5 weeks in. Yes- they will die without bats- in 18 months while continuing to feed on humans and using you as your meal. If you are willing to be bit for the 18 months than your logic stands.And that’s “if” you successfully removed the bats and excluded them from re-entering ever. I’m with Ihatebatbugs that we want them DEAD! Please keep us posted- I’m living in hell with these bugs as well.

I am so so sorry! There seems to not be too many people have had this issue. When I google about it- all you find is info on bed bugs. I sure hope your issue gets resolved better than mine is. This is an absolute nightmare. It is horrible to feel disgusted in your own home. Please keep me updated as well.

8. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 12:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Getting rid of bats is pretty easy, assuming you or someone you know is physically capable of getting into the attic. Bats leave on their own every single night. All you have to do is wait for them to leave, and board up the entry points. A steel mesh, like fine chicken wire, can be very helpful in areas that boards just won't work. I've NEVER heard of batbugs feeding on guano. The company likely suggested cleaning that up because it can make you quite sick. When you get rid of the bats, the bugs will then leave the attic and move into your home for new hosts. They won't just hang out in your insulation forever. Personally I'd get rid of the bats myself, have the attic and home sprayed, use the same climb ups that people use for bedbugs, and wait it out. Without bat hosts they won't breed, with climb ups the bites will mostly stop. They'll wander around in poison and die off. The guano does need to be removed, but I doubt very much that the insulation needs to be removed from your entire home. I'd get another quote elsewhere on the guano cleanup. Of course it depends how much of a mess the bats have made...but I think the quote you received is a bit absurd. It sounds likely this company is trying to bleed you for every dollar they can.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19