baking the car

(6 posts)
  1. norestfortheweary

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 17:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Well folks. I finally have reached a level of frustration with the bedbugs in my car that I swallowed hard (mostly what was left of my pride) took a deep breath and drove over to the local auto collision center.

I noticed that the nasty critters have migrated from the back of the car to the front, mainly taking up residence in the driver's door panel. I thought, well, if I can get someone to take off the panel, I can remove the colony there. And have a bit of peace til they migrate from the backseats (again).

As I shared my story with the collision center guy, (he started scratching and itchy, denied it tho ☺ ) and said he would be happy to help in whatever way he could.

I mentioned that I had planned to wait to winter and hoped the temps would freeze them out, but I knew from info from this forum that my hopeful was hopeless. That only heat would kill them off.

He said, hang on a few, walked inside, came back out and said, We'll bake your car for you. Will tomorrow work? I said, I don't get paid til Friday. No charge, just bring it in and we'll put it in the paint oven.

He said the paint oven guy watches infestation and would be happy to offer services of baking the car to help me.

I almost lost it emotionally, I thought, this can't be true!

Well, I'll be heading back over there in the early am to let them back the car for me. I looked up heat treatment and cooking the bugs at 118 degrees for 90 minutes toasts all stages including eggs.

They said they could cook the car up to 215 degrees for two hours. From info I found, about 90 minutes should do it.

Then I'll be off to the laundromat to cook bedding for about 40 mins at 120 degrees and finish off whatever may be lurking there.

I'm also going to purchase the DDVP strips for my storage unit. It's not sealed 100% but I'm hopeful that using the strips will at least eliminate most if not all of the bugs.

So thanks all for the wonderful suggestions. I read one posting where one gal is covering up head-to-toe at night. I started doing that too. And I'm trying to put humorous spends on the situation whenever I can.

I may remain homeless for several more months (at least till tax refunds come out) but I'm hopeful that at there will be one less thing to stress me out.

2. norestfortheweary

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 17:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

oops! forgot to proof for types, bake not back, spins, not spends! yeah, I'm still a bit freaked out by all of it... !

3. Nemo

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 20:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Holy cow, this is great if they can do it safely, but I guess they know how to deal with gas tanks and such. I hope it works and kills 'em dead. That's really nice of them to offer for free.

4. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 15 2013 7:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you,ve found help! I think its a good idea to treat your storage unit. Remember to follow directions and to stay out of there while your treating. No going in and out. You might want to have a clean change of clothes (bb free) to put on before you get back into post heated car. Be very careful not to reinfest. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 15 2013 12:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs at all life stages die at about 115-125F given sufficient time. With a complex environment like a car, it's important to insure there are no cold spots for bugs to take refuge. So, allowing time for lower heat to penetrate is more important than running a short burst at a super high temperature. Killing BB by baking is something best done by people highly trained and experienced in this approach. In absence of that, you need to arm yourself with the best possible know-how to help guide the people you have working for you.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. Buggy in Florida

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 15 2013 18:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Fingers crossed that this treatment helps you out! It's good of them to want to try to help, and for free too...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982