Baiting and nocturnal schedule

(5 posts)
  1. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Apr 28 2017 3:26:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I've posted a few other threads thus far describing my situation - I had my first PCO treatment yesterday. It seems the infestation is confined to my room primarily - I am having a horrible time with coping with this, but I don't want it to spread so I am spending as much time in my room as I can. Not only that - I have no furniture but my bed, at all, in my bedroom. Any time I am in my room, I am on my bed. I really want to get a plastic chair so I can sit comfortably, but part of me wonders if spending all my time on top of the main infestation point is making me incredibly effective bait. If it makes no difference I think a plastic chair would be nice to have to sit on - but could it make a difference? I look at it this way - I am already in hell. I'd rather stay in hell one level deeper for a shorter duration than stay in longer for just a bit of comfort.

Conversely - am I subjecting myself to more than I need to as bait here? I mean, I definitely know I must continue to sleep in my bed so I am bait in that sense - but am I overdoing it with trying to spend a lot of time in the bed, or even in the room in general aside from normal sleep? If it makes a difference, I normally spend a lot of my time in my room, and as I own no other furniture, on my bed. Any advice would be much appreciated - it's 3:12 am and I am just looking for a silver lining, I suppose, to the discomfort I feel sitting on this bed typing this. This infestation has made me nocturnal, and I often sleep after 7am now - I am also curious if this makes a difference in terms of using myself as bait. Do I need to be in bed during "peak hours" of 3 - 6am sleeping, or do I work as bait as long as I continue sleeping in this bed and not somewhere else, regardless of what time? Or does my mere presence being seated on the bed albeit awake and in the light suffice as bait? I have been sleeping with the lights on most of the time. I am curious how all of these factors can impact, positively or negatively, my role as bait in helping to treat this infestation quickly, and in minimizing the risk of spreading infestation to the rest of the house.

Namely, I am curious if:
    - Does it matter to bait them if I am awake or asleep, as long as I am sitting or laying on the bed?

- Does it matter what time I go to sleep to bait bed bugs?

- Am I doing any harm in my baiting or anything else by sleeping with the lights on and assuming a primarily nocturnal pattern?

- Should I maximize time I spend on the bed even in the day time. or would it make no difference to get a plastic chair to use throughout this and simply sleep in the bed?

Thanks in advance for reading this lenghty posts and any guidance you may have for me. I realize I am probably overthinking, but I am sure that's normal and peace of mind is something I desperately need right now.

2. Ldspreciousmom

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 18 2017 19:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish someone with experience had responded as I'd like to know the answers to most of those questions as well. My (I think) light infestation started about a month or so ago in my living room while sitting on my recliner I saw one crawling on my shirt. (Pretty sure I brought them home from work. A school that definitely has them.) I fifurwd the one I saw was just a hitch hiker and flushed it and didn't think about it again. A week later my daughter found one crawling on her TV tray in the living room. Neither of us had been bit that we knew of. I continued to sleep in my room (had no bug sitings there) and ordered some Say Bye Bugs spray and DE. Once that came in the following week I started using that. Hours later found 3 crawling up LR wall. (I assumed to get away from baseboards.) Flushed those and went to bed. Over the next week or so we saw occasional ones and I got bit 3 separate times while sitting in the recliner. My 18 yr old daughter said instead of sleeping in my bed I should be sleeping where the bugs are so I don't make them want to wander elsewhere. Dos not like that idea but after research it seemed that was the definite hot spot so I began spending all my time in the LR. I got very little sleep and those first 3 nights I was super paranoid, didn't sleep at all the first night. Slept a few hours the second night and then again no sleeping the third night. I felt like I was going insane. Sleep deprived, paranoid, depressed...but had not gotten bit. Sprayed any live ones I saw but still did not find eggs or nymphs. Then ordered Cimexa, recommended on here. Once that arrived I sprayed with a puffer all baseboards, furniture, opened outlets covers etc. of the LR pus sprayed the recliner (top and bottom) with Say Bye Bugs. I finally collapsed that night after treating and showering but still major paranoia. A week went by and no bug sitings. Have not sat on recliner but began sleeping on the love seat. After that week I started to think it was finally working and thought about going to my room to sleep (had removed sheets and encased mattress as a precaution), and there was one bed bug on the bed. Caught and flushed that and decided to stay in the LR. That night my daughter found on on the side of the recliner. Grrr....treatment started again. Spray and puffer of Cimexa. Another week went by and as the gs began to look good, one appeared last night (again on recliner). Sprayed and Cimexa again. Then about 2 hours later found 2 more crawl I no up the walls in LR supposedly to get away from baseboard. So...where do I go from here? I just got my order of Bedlam Plus and am wondering do I spray that, wait for it to dry them cover everything with Cimexa again? What all have you used? I also have sticky baits in bedroom and LR...With a scent lure and it has caught nothing but a fruit fly in one of them. I sleep with the lights on constantly and not sure if I'll be able to feel comfortable with them off again any time soon because all I think about are these little boogers!!! (Ok...thanks for letting vent. No one replied to my post weeks ago so still not sure what to do.)

3. Ldspreciousmom

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 18 2017 19:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the typos...hopefully you could understand most of it! Lol

4. Ldspreciousmom

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 18 2017 19:32:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I just also read about using Nuvan strips and think I will get those to use for bagged items that can't be put in the dryer.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 19 2017 1:01:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Ldspreciousmom,

Please start a new thread to discuss your own situation and questions. You can repost this there.

If you have another thread you need a response to which hasn't had one, please respond to that thread saying so and you're likely to get one. Everyone here is a volunteer and every question isn't always answered promptly, so feel free to respond and ask for help again if needed.

I'd answer the questions above at more length, but I don't even know if Ionlyknowandroidbugs still wants answers. The short response is bed bugs will bite you even if you sleep in the daytime, with the lights on. They prefer a sleeping host but if you're very still, may bite when you're not asleep. There's no reason to spend extra time in your bed or avoid sitting in other places as long as you're still sleeping in the bedroom regularly.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug