Bagging your belongings

(4 posts)
  1. badbugs1

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 16:22:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I searched and hadn't found the question or answer I was looking for.

I've read that you can put things in closed bags and wait for approximately 18 months before safely removing the items. I know I know, it's all temperature related and such. I think possibly the main reason for this is to starve them if I'm not mistaken? I've also read that bed bugs need very little air to survive. However if they DO need air, what if your items were put into a vacuum sealed bag with NO air? How long would they last in there?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 22:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if anyone has tested this, but experts have told us they do apparently last longer without fresh air than you'd think.

I am not a PMP and can't advise on DDVP use, but using it in a sealed container for a shorter period may be a better option. Click the DDVP tag above to find threads about this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 31 2013 8:32:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also not a professional, but I'd guess your talking about the bags that can be found at Bed, Bath & Beyond and such?

I spent a lot of money on these when I first discovered bed bugs. My observation is that even with the ones that "work" (about 1/4 of the ones I tried wouldn't seal, and leaked), you don't actually get 100% of the air out. I wish I had read the FAQs here more closely when I first discovered the bed bugs, as I wouldn't have spent the money on the space bags - the dryer has been my best tool.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 31 2013 11:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Steaming, you're right-- I've had bad luck with Space Bag type bags at times. My comments were about the lifespan of bed bugs in a truly airtight bag, but it's worth noting that th bag much remain airtight.

Most people here who are trying to seal things in an airtight manner seem to use carefully sealed contractor bags or XL Ziploc types which can be resealed.

Watertight trunks eg this one from the Container store may also be a good and convenient option if budget permits.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes