Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bad news 5 days after bedsteaming : bites. can they fall from ceiling?

(13 posts)
  1. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 21 2019 14:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Peace has been not very longlived.
    5 th day after bedsteam treatment. Bite big one in my face.
    Could they climb up from my pullover during day and i wouldnt notice? And bite me beside my mouth??
    I dont think so . Swollen bite now. 20.40h my guess is they got me for the nap at 13.30.
    We ve been so careful to not contaminate the bed. Pijamans left on bed . Went naked to bed and put pjs there. No toys nothing touching bed. No bedclothes on floor. Nothing.
    So my question could they be falling from ceiling? Wich is attic ceiling not high.
    Orelse could it have been in my scarf or pukkover and bitten me in face while im awake and moving without me noticing??
    5 days only and they are back in bed despite cclimbups cimexa all around bed.
    Is my dryer not hot enough to kill them in the duvet?? 3 hours hottest setting?
    95 degrees wash before for 2.5 hours?
    How are they making it back? climbing into my hair from pullover? And a brush before bed is not enough??? I dont get it. No stains in bed. didnt check for pinprick though.
    Will try to wash all bedclothes tmw morning too late now. Put sleeping bags in dryer already.
    Will do rest tomorrow. in hope they are in there.
    Also put pukkobers i wore into freezer.
    So depressed. cant possibly again pay steaming of beds 5 days later.
    I guess will have to set up that zapbug for beds. waste my weekend with that.
    Aprehend arriving. Soon. I guess dont have the choice.

2. BrownEyes

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 21 2019 16:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you only treated your bed or the entire room? You need to treat the entire room. Bedbugs can hide in the walls, your other furniture, in books, etc.

I've read that the physical reaction to bites can sometimes manifest days after actually being bitten. Exterminators say you may experience bites within a week after treatment. The only way you can absolutely know you have bedbugs is if you see them, their skins or their feces.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 21 2019 19:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can I predict what will happen when you spray apprehend?

You will see reduced to no activity for 5 - 7 days and then the skin symptoms will return again.

This is not a failure to treat the problem but a failure to confirm what the actual issue is before jumping into treatment.

Reading the FAQs will illustrate that it’s wash above 60C or high heat tumble there is no need to do both and there are in fact reasons not to do both.

Yes bedbugs can evade isolation by dropping from above, its most common with take based isolation but there is also a historic text that talks about them climbing higher on walls in order to fall further out from the wall.

Please appreciate that by making assumptions and taking false steps you only delay reaching a solution and potentially compound the complexity of that solution.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 1:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so i have the blue test here. I will check sheets before washing everything today hoping they are in sheets. If they are in bed : it will not work and i will continue to get bitten.
    If i find small black ball. ( on white 100% synthetic sheet) the blue test would tell me of its fecal?
    Could it be anything else apart bed/bat/martin bugs . ( allthough i think we already had them in paris) If blue test is positive?
    Or does it confirm besbugs for sure?
    giving up on finding them.
    if they do jump of walls. They have no way of escaping bed right now. And go back into walls. And surviving. apart from on me.
    But i have feeling they are going for items i dont heat treat daily. Like cashmere pullovers. Slippers. Far away from bed.
    how would you get them out of walls?
    wait for every single one to jump into bed trap?
    Is there a faster way?

5. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 1:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Ordered cirkil . Would eant to spray whole house with it. Worried it ll repell them into walls though as the pyrenthens... ? Any thoughts

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 4:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

As well as your “in the bed” theory you should consider the “it’s not currently bedbugs” theory.

Bed Bug Blue is a faecal trace confirmation kit. So long as you only test the correct colour traces (I.e. nothing red or vaguely red) then the reaction indicates the presence of faecal as it will only change when the correct components are present. It is designed because people find it hard to differentiate the subtle details needed to do this themselves with accuracy.

Your assumptions on their choice of clothing is not accurate and if you applied a logical analysis to what you have written you could see that.

I have already explained in great detail and with exceptional patience what you should be doing and the summary of that at this stage is stop and take stock of the facts.

As for you new option I would strongly suggest you think very carefully before you apply acetophenone to your home. The odor as it breaks down is akin to a 3 day roadkill skunk in the Texas summer. When applied to organic fibers such as wool and silk I am not even sure the odor can be removed once applied. I am aware from discussions at the time that a significant amount of compensation for spoiled items has already been made. While I have a sensitive nose I am not involved in those examples myself so can’t be accused of olfactory bias.

Now at this stage if you start to look at the list of things you have tried and highlight the ones I have said would not or will not work versus the ones you were hopeful / certain would work and I think there is a clear pattern forming.

I have encountered many people in your situation and as I have been clear I engage because I wish to prevent others from repeating the same fundemental mistakes which are occurring here. There are times where people fuel hysteria and cause disruption when they believe they are doing good, your situation is sadly one of those. We also get periodic visitors from engineers “hellbent on designing the perfect solution” but sadly not appreciating that biology does not have the same binary logic as electronics or mechanics. Their mission and fancy ideas only serve to prolong the misery and suffering of others and no matter how good their intentions their ethics don’t align well with mine or the majority of those who are genuinely here to help people.

Equally I fully appreciate it takes a stronger person to get off the rollercoaster you are on than it does to stay on it.

In my world it is the definition of a professional to be the person who can reason and explain why someone is wrong and not scratch their head and capitulate to someone wish without being 100% certain you are doing the absolutely correct thing by the situation in front of them. In pest control that starts with “confirm your target” and no amount of “it could be” will ever replace the gold standard of “it is and here is the evidence”. It may seem pedantic but my reasons lay way beyond your case and into those who will read and follow this later.

I sincerely hope that this starts to resonate with you or others. We are not doubting you had bedbugs but my experience has shown me that post bedbug exposure some people can develop sensitivity to other issues and can confuse the symptoms they have with the ones they had when bedbugs was actually an issue. For some of those the issue becomes locked in and over focused to the exclusion of the reality of the situation. It reaches a point where it’s easier to keep investing in reason for the how it could be bedbugs despite the lack of signs because of what you have done to date.

Thankfully people do come back from this and recapture their lives but for some it can be a catalyst for profound change like many trauma and traumatic experiences in life and some may find peace in kintsugi, for we are all vessels worthy of repair.

David

7. paulfoel

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 5:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Reading the FAQs will illustrate that it’s wash above 60C or high heat tumble there is no need to do both and there are in fact reasons not to do both.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs limited

David - out of interest why shouldnt you do both? i.e wash and tumble dry?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 5:56:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While initially it’s because you simply don’t need to do both there is also the cost in time and personal energy. It’s best not to waste time and energy on things that are just not needed.

In some situations, such as symptoms with a lack of confirming evidence the disruption to the local environment of the home actually acts to exhasibate the issue. There are many examples where a task of two parts must be done together to get the results, such as take this tablet and do this exercise. The tablet alone will not fix the issue and yet many will assume it does.

I once had a client who assumed her bedbugs were related to her new retail job as she only had bites from day two of her new job. However it was more accurate to say she had bedbugs for thee months and only started to react because shoe shops are strong scent environments and something caused her to react thus discovering bedbugs after a few days. Sometimes post bedbug encounter people become sensitive to other things, one of those can be associated with over dried clothes which creates symptoms which could incorrectly be assumed to be bedbugs.

David

9. paulfoel

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 6:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 50 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    While initially it’s because you simply don’t need to do both there is also the cost in time and personal energy. It’s best not to waste time and energy on things that are just not needed.
    In some situations, such as symptoms with a lack of confirming evidence the disruption to the local environment of the home actually acts to exhasibate the issue. There are many examples where a task of two parts must be done together to get the results, such as take this tablet and do this exercise. The tablet alone will not fix the issue and yet many will assume it does.
    I once had a client who assumed her bedbugs were related to her new retail job as she only had bites from day two of her new job. However it was more accurate to say she had bedbugs for thee months and only started to react because shoe shops are strong scent environments and something caused her to react thus discovering bedbugs after a few days. Sometimes post bedbug encounter people become sensitive to other things, one of those can be associated with over dried clothes which creates symptoms which could incorrectly be assumed to be bedbugs.
    David

Right - thanks. Unfortunately, my own dear wife is a subscriber to "get an idea in her head and do everything she can think of regardless of facts"

Its a fight at the moment to stop her throwing out half the contents of the house.

We already replaced two beds (which wasnt too bad - they were on the replace list anyway), carpets (sort of the same), and shes thrown lots of clothes out.

10. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 23:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok . Day 6. No bites.
    I guess if i het bites no every 3-4 days its one adult in my bed.
    But from my bed he cant go anywhere. He cant fly back into wall without crossing cimexa. So he might bite me but - he is history!

11. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 22 2019 23:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

If i get no more bites within week he must have walked on cimexa or DE to get to me and is slowly dying. 😁
    Paul i do admit using this as a very good excuse to get rid of my husbands clothes the ones that he never wears... just because it makes storing space better. But i got rid of alot of mine too.. so see it as a spring clean

12. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 0:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok David. So only dryer is ok for stuff thats clean?
    Putting duvets once a day in dryer is better then washing once a week and drying? I guess.
    Knowing how fast those little f@&s lay eggs.

13. Leila

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 23 2019 0:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry i know if i’d take away climb ups and DE. And put up monitors i ´d id them faster.
    But hey - the first one i squashed with blood inside on my bed was NOT a Tick. I knows ticks grew up with dogs. And the second one o saw crawling under the baby blanket. I saw him after biologist decrobed differnces to me between carpet beetles / lyctus brunnus ( have those too) and 1-2 other wood boring ones that are same size then bb’s. So that one is to me 100% identifies. No doubt. So rrally cant stop batteling them now . Especially hoping the vilane got most of them- and îm dealing with a few stragglers.
    Anyhows if in bb still safe on bed - he ll leave fecals. And i have that blue test ready!
    Have read horrendous stories on birdmite.org. Sometimes wish it could be that but unfortunately did see 2 bugs in 9 months. And hey with those bites last summer not willing to give up the battle! find them or not..

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47